Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-24-2006, 01:11 AM   #1
Meow

Drives: 2003 Echo Sedan
Immobilize and security system.

anyone have any idea?

i called dealer this evening, and find out that Yaris sedan or hatchback does not come with immobilize or option alarm. The dealer say they will put one in, and I think is a aftermarket. If aftermarket, I can put one anyplace like futureshop. But the dealer say there will be some warranty issue if i have the alarm system install somewhere else instead of Toyota dealer. Anyone know is the toyota security system is factory or after market? and How good are they? they come in hwo many level? since the dealer told me level 1 will be immobilize, then level 2 will be intrustion detction, level 3 come with shock censor. I really have no idea What to expect. I thought all the car will come with immobilizer already. i don't mind to pay for a security system. I am worry about the warranty issue.

Put tell me what is my options are.

thank you,
Meow
Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:29 AM   #2
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
for sure the liftbacks DO NOT have an engine immobilizer. i believe the sedans do with certain packages, or maybe plain standard. if you have LB, just get $200 aftermarket alarm with immobilizer. that price usually gets you keyless entry as well. another 50 will get you a remote start. for me?? i dont plan on getting any more aftermarket alarms since all of my previous ones have either drained the battery or caused some minor electrical issue down the road. but factory alarms are just too pricey. just keep it stock, and you should be good.

--B
Old 10-24-2006, 01:36 AM   #3
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
I just had an alarm and disable theft system put in last week. Ungo was name of the system. It seems to work fine. I've tested it all out. It was an after the market theft system. I have a 2007 yaris liftback if that helps. This is my third vehicle that I've used this system on. I think the only real problem is it may drain the battery a bit.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 07:08 PM   #4
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
I bought my RS HB in late 2005 and I did enquire about the availability of a factory installed immobilizer. The salesman said no and I ended up asking the dealership to arrange for an outside agent to install an aftermarket unit for me. By doing it through the dealership, my car's warranty was not affected. It was quite expensive though, Canadian $350 if I remember correctly. The immobilizer will eventually pay for itself through the annual insurance discount that I enjoy with its installation.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:08 PM   #5
miss_piggy

Drives: Yaris YRX Hatch
that's bizarre that you guys have things like power windows etc and immo's as 'options'...for australia...they're standard! all yaris' come with immobilisers and keyless entry- no alarm though...
miss_piggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:48 AM   #6
static808

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_piggy
that's bizarre that you guys have things like power windows etc and immo's as 'options'...for australia...they're standard! all yaris' come with immobilisers and keyless entry- no alarm though...
ahhhhh...god bless america...

--B
Old 10-25-2006, 02:52 AM   #7
as400g33k

Drives: 05 YRS Silver Lining Metallic
I'm sure some of our NA members here have been down that path before. There should be tons of threads around here somewhere. What spec of the Yaris are you getting BTW? Anyway, a full security system comprise of an immobiliser + alarm (either passive or active). All alarms should be able to detect intrusion and movement.
as400g33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 03:32 PM   #8
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
Toyota can not deny warranty on the entire car because of anything you install on it.
They can't deny warranty if you decide to do your own maintenace outlined in the aowners manual.
But they do not have to warranty anything you install on the car or that dirrectly affects it.

Lets say you install a security system and install it wrong and because of your installation of such a product the car won't start or shuts off or you fry the ECU... toyota will not pick up the tab.
But lets say you blow a halfshaft or the transmission breaks, it had nothing to do with the security system and Toyota MUST cover it under warranty.

IF you have a security system installed by toyota they may or may not cover it under warranty. Chances are NOT but it won't affect the warranty on the rest of the car.
Toyota my recommend a system for you and have it installed, if so di that because then they may warranty the aftermarket system and installation work involved.

If you decide to add a full exhaust system and header on a brand new car, fine. it will not affect the warranty on the car, but if you thow an engine code because of a bad 02 placemnt in the exhaust system or a failed cat convertor or the exhaust manifold blows out that's your problem... The rest of the car will be covered by warranty.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:19 PM   #9
swng

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07WYarisRS
.........they do not have to warranty anything you install on the car or that dirrectly affects it.

Lets say you install a security system and install it wrong and because of your installation of such a product the car won't start or shuts off or you fry the ECU... toyota will not pick up the tab.
But lets say you blow a halfshaft or the transmission breaks, it had nothing to do with the security system and Toyota MUST cover it under warranty.

IF you have a security system installed by toyota they may or may not cover it under warranty. Chances are NOT but it won't affect the warranty on the rest of the car.
Toyota my recommend a system for you and have it installed, if so di that because then they may warranty the aftermarket system and installation work involved.........
The above more or less sums up the rationale behind my decision to have the aftermarket immobilizer installed through the dealership, despite the high price.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:09 PM   #10
doodoo

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by static808
for sure the liftbacks DO NOT have an engine immobilizer. i believe the sedans do with certain packages, or maybe plain standard. if you have LB, just get $200 aftermarket alarm with immobilizer. that price usually gets you keyless entry as well. another 50 will get you a remote start. for me?? i dont plan on getting any more aftermarket alarms since all of my previous ones have either drained the battery or caused some minor electrical issue down the road. but factory alarms are just too pricey. just keep it stock, and you should be good.

--B
LOL!! Try living in New Orleans like that. You won't have your car for very long.
doodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:25 PM   #11
swng

In the interim before you finally get the car alarm/immobilizer you really like, please consider using a steering wheel locking bar. Such a device will not be too expensive and may still be used even after you buy your electronic protection system.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:56 PM   #12
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
i got that thing from toyota.... it was 199$. it's a key recognition, if the car is started without a key, it will automatically cut it off (or not start at all? dunno)

or i would have the same thing with autostart for 499$ which controls the keyless entry too.. (i belive it's an Autostart)
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:52 PM   #13
Kitt

Drives: Thndr cl metallic HB 3 drs '05
Send a message via MSN to Kitt
i've installed a Steel-Mate 88A with remote start on my car and gues what... It is still on waranty!!!
Old 10-26-2006, 12:16 AM   #14
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
I know my Canadian H/B has chipped keys
You MUST use the master key or secondary code keys for the car to start and stay running.
With out these keys the car will not run.
I was under the impression ALL YAris's were the same way
Old 10-26-2006, 01:18 PM   #15
obylium

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan S, black/bisque
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meow
anyone have any idea?

i called dealer this evening, and find out that Yaris sedan or hatchback does not come with immobilize or option alarm. The dealer say they will put one in, and I think is a aftermarket. If aftermarket, I can put one anyplace like futureshop. But the dealer say there will be some warranty issue if i have the alarm system install somewhere else instead of Toyota dealer. Anyone know is the toyota security system is factory or after market? and How good are they? they come in hwo many level? since the dealer told me level 1 will be immobilize, then level 2 will be intrustion detction, level 3 come with shock censor. I really have no idea What to expect. I thought all the car will come with immobilizer already. i don't mind to pay for a security system. I am worry about the warranty issue.

thank you,
Meow

The toyota security system that comes with the car is Toyota branded. If the dealer installs a alarm system, it will definately be of the toyota brand.
obylium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 05:32 PM   #16
Teruyume

Drives: 06 Yaris RS
Send a message via MSN to Teruyume
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meow
anyone have any idea?

thank you,
Meow
I am quite sure they do have a Toyota Alarm System (see attachment)

they want to sell u their own alarm probably cuz they made more profit off it......... >_<
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Theft Deterrent System.pdf (338.4 KB, 53 views)
GP Racing GR-6 15x7
Kumho Ecsta AST 195/50R15
Tanabe DF210
JDM LED Tail lights
Teruyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:56 PM   #17
static808

do any members here know if the toyota VIP alarm system comes with an immobilizer?? if so, then we may just pony up some cash for it, since we have had slightly negative experiences with aftermarket alarms before (clifford and python). if the VIP alarms dont come with an immobilizer, then what does it come with, aside from keyless entry WITH sirens!! thank you for any information you can provide!!

--B

ps: i know, i know...i previously posted that i wont get an alarm. but the idea of a factory alarm has always been appealing. its whether we're ready to fork over some cash, since this IS supposed to be an economy car. guess 500 bucks for security beats taking the bus when you're car gets stolen...
Old 10-28-2006, 11:06 AM   #18
Meow

Drives: 2003 Echo Sedan
Everyone:
I ask the toyota delaer yesterday, a immobilizer with key attachment will cost me $299 installed. The toyota factory alarm with 1 remote only with immobilizer and keyless entry and siren will cost me $499. And the dealer preferr aftermarket alarm with immobilizer, come with 2 remote, will cost $599. I ask them can I bring my own alarm like compstar and let them install it, they refused. Dealer old me they only allow to install that particular alarm system. and the parts department told me the alaram only cost $175 and immobilizer cost $99 as in parts only. Sound like a big rip off to me.

Since no matter where I buy my yaris, The price will still the same, I am consider to ask a few more dealer to see what ater market alarm they try to sell.

Meow
Meow is offline   Reply With Quote