Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-15-2010, 02:15 AM   #1
chrisj
Hooch Brewer-Shine Sipper

Drives: 2009 5-dr LB
Performance?

I don't wanna get flamed here, but I was reading a post someone put on about getting a spoiler for his sedan. Some members said he should work on performance enhancements first, then cosmetic stuff.

I didn't get my Yaris for performance. I bought it because it was 1)Toyota 2)stylish even with stock everything 3)got awesome gas mileage.

My only concern after I got the car WAS cosmetic stuff. I had/have no desire for performance features. I don't plan to show it, race it, or mod it to hell to get stuff out of what amounts to a subcompact economy car.

Now, performance can mean different things to different people. Maybe I'm not clear on what "performance" means here. When I think of performance, I think of turbo, more horsepower, and things that have to do with racing.

Just my thoughts, but I bought my car to get decent gas mileage and look a little "sporty". God knows I needed it, as I had an Avalon for 9 years prior.

Okay............................flame away. Wait. Let me get my fireproof suit on.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:58 AM   #2
TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Banned

Drives: '08 Lexus IS-F
Send a message via AIM to TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Performance is swapping an LS1 into a go-kart.

Sponsored by: Micro Image
http://microimageonline.com
TEHxFALLEN V1.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:06 PM   #3
FSANE

Drives: 07 4d yaris and 02 Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEHxFALLEN V1.2 View Post
or just having LS1 in any car :D

Best ET is 11.13 @ 120 MPH with 1.47 60FT

11.13 sec vid
BurnOut Vid
FSANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:40 PM   #4
chrisj

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEHxFALLEN V1.2 View Post
Surely there's a YouTube out there with this setup...

This is close! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1Jq__FLG3A
Old 10-15-2010, 04:23 PM   #5
SailDesign

Drives: .
Gixxer cart, babe!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xbZt9-xtuU
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:13 PM   #6
chrisj

^ There it is! I love it!
Old 10-15-2010, 05:23 PM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
chrisj,

"performance" probably does mean different things to different people. It's just one of those words.

For me, it's a word about function (as oppposed to looks or aeshetics) .It means something you do to improve the original function of that particular system in a car.

It could be audio, it could be suspension, brakes, power, tires, etc etc. That's just what it means to me.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:26 PM   #8
chrisj

^ Yeah, I get it. Handling modifications like sway bars and springs would count too. I just see so much here about boost this and turbo that. Just all seems like the Yaris on steroids! :)
Old 10-16-2010, 12:28 AM   #9
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Every once in awhile a proper "performance" car shows up, one that goes well without frying tires, corners well without an excessively rough ride, and stops well every time. One can increase performance in all these categories, and, if done right, will not decrease the overall tractability of the vehicle, or overstress it.

I see the Miatas as performance cars, as purchased. Any additions are cosmetic, and in my mind, seldom enhance what that car is. Sure, the Yaris may use a bit more oomph, or interior changes, but basically it is a very good car for the money, mostly because it strangles every drop of performance out of every drop of fuel.

I bought my Yaris (1) because it was a Toyota, reliability was extremely important, (2) for fuel economy, the price of fuel ain't going down anytime soon, and (3) because it was offered in a bare-bones package, no air, no automatic, minimal radio/BS. It was/is just a car. For the last 3 years, it has done its job virtually without flaw.

It goes well enough, corners just fine, and stops just fine. It does what I want it to do. Do I want my Mustangs back? No, I'm past that now. Do I want my pigups back? Don't need them anymore. Am I keeping my 245? We are expecting a bad winter, so the 245 is mandatory if I am to get anywhere.

Really, if the Yaris was better in the snow, I MIGHT consider dropping the 245. However...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:14 AM   #10
chrisj

I've not been through a winter with mine yet. :/