Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-04-2011, 05:32 AM   #1
Stiv

Drives: Yaris TS 1,8L
Grinding noise when switchingfrom second to third gear

Hi guys.

I had this problem for last couple of weeks and it happens only when car is cold. And by cold I mean below freezing.

At first i thought I wast pressing clutch pedal all the way down, but then again, other gears work just fine. There is no grinding if I shift with 1 second pause between second and third and it goes away after 5 min of driving.

And it looks to me that downshift from fourth to third works just fine.

My warranty expires by the end of February. Should I wait for my regular yearly service which is in about one month from now or should I head to my mechanic right away?

Thanks
Stiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:39 AM   #2
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
if your car is still under warranty, i would bring it to them and make sure the mechanic hears it and confirms the noise. cuz if he doesnt and he just says, "unable to duplicate at this time", by the time the warranty is up and it ends up being a bad gear in the tranny, there is a chance they wont cover a transmission. toyota does not replace gears in transmissions, they recommend swaping the transmission completely. i hope u get your issue diagnosis correctly by a master tech and see if you can ride with them or let them ride with you to try to get the noise to occur. good luck. take advantage of that warranty
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
Stiv

Drives: Yaris TS 1,8L
ok, i'll try that
the only option is to leave the car over night and hope the night gets really cold so they can duplicate at that time :)
Stiv is offline   Reply With Quote