Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: How do YOU test drive?
I beat the hell out of it...could care less who owns it later. 6 10.34%
I try to pamper it, cuz I don't want to ruin it for someone later. 5 8.62%
I drive it the way I would normally drive every day. 40 68.97%
I like Wheat Thins. 7 12.07%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2007, 09:46 PM   #1
Yota
Save Gas I Must

Drives: ...too much.
How do YOU Test Drive?

Hey...
Started this poll, because I've always been curious about those mysterious 10-50 or whatever miles that are already on a new car when you buy it.

and one particular Yari i'm looking to buy, just so happens to have 50 miles on it, most likely from test drives.

I have test driven my share of cars in the past, and I try not to destroy them, but I also like to explore the power available in the engine, regardless of how new it is.

So, my question to you is...do you really think it's safe enough to assume a new car with 50 miles on it already has been abused?
Or do you think it should be fine?

I know every car has a "break-in" period, and if it's abused, it could damage the car indefinitely.

Go.
Yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:32 PM   #2
dimmunize

Drives: 2007 yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yota View Post
Hey...
Started this poll, because I've always been curious about those mysterious 10-50 or whatever miles that are already on a new car when you buy it.

and one particular Yari i'm looking to buy, just so happens to have 50 miles on it, most likely from test drives.

I have test driven my share of cars in the past, and I try not to destroy them, but I also like to explore the power available in the engine, regardless of how new it is.

So, my question to you is...do you really think it's safe enough to assume a new car with 50 miles on it already has been abused?
Or do you think it should be fine?

I know every car has a "break-in" period, and if it's abused, it could damage the car indefinitely.

Go.

Naw, I wouldn't worry about it, I bought my Yaris-S about 4mths ago and it only had 5 miles on it when I finally test drove it.. My fiance's yaris had 80 miles on it and was parked and out of gas just sitting there on the lot where all the other brand new yaris-S where, and yes, we both have Yaris-S, what can I say, we just loved the body style, 5spd and flint mica of course.. Anyways, to get down to the point, her car is now broken in and has about 4,000 miles on it and she drives it every day to work by taking the freeway, I don't think she was conservative with her speeds when she first started driving it on the freeway with barely 90 miles on it and I totally noticed a huge power gain from when we first bought it. Mine has now about 2,500miles on it and it feels the same as her's.. Don't worry about it, remember, you're driving a toyota and not some american car that can't handle abuse.. Don't be afraid of opening her up on the highway.
dimmunize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:19 AM   #3
ALY
TOYOTA Product Advisor

Drives: 2007 YARIS RS 3DR LB "B" PKG
I tend to be gentle (but I drive tester cars the same as I would drive my own).

Should I want to open a car up a bit more, I will usually ask the dealership if they have any demonstrator vehicles (personal/ staff use) or a used car that I can test properly. In almost all cases this is possible.
ALY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:19 AM   #4
Motorhead6T5

Drives: 07 NCP96
Most the time the salesmen is in the car. I don't think most people are going down the freeway at 6k rpm for 15 minutes strait when they test drive. You have to think about the people that typicaly buy these cars,aren't in it for the performance,so quick throttle punch is the most they would ever really see on a testdrive. I didn't beat my car on the test drive cause it was the one I was buying. Don't think I would have anyways.

The salesman cold starts bother me more than the test drives,cold start after cold start,moving the cars around all the time on the lot,never giving them time to warm up.

My car had a good amount of miles on it,80 or so,maybe 50 can't rember. Its been fine.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:34 AM   #5
Edd

Drives: None
They really should only let you dest drive a demo car, which whoever buys gets $1000 or so off. A "new" car should only have been driven off the truck onto the lot.
Oh and I think you meant "couldn't care less". Sorry, it's just one of my pet peeves with grammar.
Edd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:43 AM   #6
Thotprawsis

Drives: '07 Blazin' Blue LB
Personally I drive them with the intent of knowing what it can do.

1. How quick is it to get up to highway speed with out flooring it.
2. Can it pass at 5mph under highway speed.
3. Find a rough road, with out pot holes, to check out the ride.
4. How well does it corner.

I, by no means, am out to beat the car up or do any harm to it, but I want to know what I can reasonably expect from the car.

p.s. Here in Michigan the speed limit on the highways is 70mph. Not ideal for break in.
Thotprawsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:53 AM   #7
death is my gift
wacky broadway nightmare

Drives: Willow is a '07 Red Yaris LB
Send a message via AIM to death is my gift Send a message via MSN to death is my gift Send a message via Yahoo to death is my gift
But seriously, I would drive it how I would drive it. (rereads that) Yeah, I would drive it how I would drive my own car. I mean, that's the point in a test drive, right? To see what sort of things you would like or dislike about it before you buy it. And the only way to do that would be to drive it like it was yours.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:52 PM   #8
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I do drive it like I would usually, but I always mash the throttle a couple of times (never all the way to redline) to see what kind of power the car has.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:09 PM   #9
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
^^^Yeah I sort of like you. I usually drive "normal" for numerous reasons, especially if I'm not in the market but want to test drive it anyway cause I'm interested in the car but anyway even if the sales person isn't with me I'm careful because its not my car. If the sales person is with me which happened maybe twice, I'm usually nervous and don't push it, sort of like when a teacher is watching you do an assignment you get nervous, yeah I'm wierd!

But I take it easy for the most part and I don't take the car far...I push it somewhat but not totally as its not breakin' into I assume the acceleration will be better or at least a little...I usually look for a highway or road you can go faster than 40mph and what the car can do. I think if you ask the sales person (If their with you) if you can punch it I'm sure they are more than willing to let you, depending on the circumstances.
I guess when I'm by myself testing I'm paranoid as its a new car and not mine and also getting into an accident or being pulled over by the cops for speeding but I know I can control that to some extent.

If I were in the market I would make sure I would absorb the car all I can meaning if this is the car I'm going with I want to visualize down the road will I still like it? Sure by then there will be other cars but still make sure is this a long term decision or just a whim and then you have buyer's remorse.
I remember when I was interested in the ECHO and went to go test it the sales person didn't go with me (he seemed less enthuiastic, I think cause he doesn't make much on these and he even told me-at the time I wasn't sure what he was talking about) but anyway I drove it up the road not far from the dealer and turned around. It wasn't that far at all! I did gun it sort of to see the acceleration and of course being an auto it was sluggish but at times I'm surprised at the peppniess of my car despite being an auto. But anyway I actually didn't get the car that I tested, at least color wise but I'm still happy.
Sorry for the novel
Old 08-07-2007, 01:52 PM   #10
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
Oh and I think you meant "couldn't care less". Sorry, it's just one of my pet peeves with grammar.
Yes! Finally someone else who recognizes that specific phrase so frequently misspoken!
YarisTom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:55 PM   #11
Yota
Save Gas I Must

Drives: ...too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
They really should only let you dest drive a demo car, which whoever buys gets $1000 or so off. A "new" car should only have been driven off the truck onto the lot.
Just an FYI..."test" is spelled with a T, not a D.
Sorry, it's just one of MY pet peeves with spelling.

Genious.
Yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:14 PM   #12
Edd

Drives: None
Sorry I think I hurt your feelings...
I was only trying to point out that "I could care less" is just the same as saying "I could care more" or "it could rain today". It just states what is possible. "Couldn't care less" means you could NOT possibly care any less than you do, ie. you care very very little about something.
"dent": Yeah, I made a typo and if yours was also a typo I was a hypocrit and I apologise.
Edd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:54 PM   #13
Darth Gilbert

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I test drove mine, 18 miles when I first sat in it, like I would normally drive. The salesman actually told me at one point, "Give it some gas, see what she's got." 11,000 miles later, I couldn't be more pleased with my Yaris...
Darth Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:42 PM   #14
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
i did a pretty throughout test drive. and that including flooring it.
0-50kmh acceleration. quick pass by shifting in 3rd to acceleratin on a highway.

oh! not to forget about stalling :) seriously, the transition from the cable throttle'd 1nz-fe engine to a drive by wire 1nz-fe wasn't so easy.

anyhow.. i asked my salesman about what they do with the demo car (the car they use for test drive).. he told me they put it for sale after couple thousand kilometers (1000-3000km usually) at a reduced price. You usually can find a demo car for 2000-3000$ under the price they normally sell.

but well.. i just beat the crap out of a brand new yaris sedan when i test drove it before i signed the contract :) (it had some 200km on the odometer)

i voted for "I drive it the way I would normally drive every day." because i've done exactly the same to my car... except not when brand new.. hehe.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:42 PM   #15
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Be careful about demo cars....ask for a complete service/maintenence/repair history. I learned the hard way...they don't tell unless you ask.....after moving 1,900 miles away had to pay to get a leaking windshield repaired...apparently the 1st dealership didn't use Toyota windshield rubber after replacing the front clip and windshield!!!!!
Old 08-09-2007, 03:14 PM   #16
derrick452

Drives: Yaris
I am a Toyota new car salesman and our test drive route has some hills, curves, a short rough area, and a 4 lane where it can be opened up. I always encourage whomever is driving it to push the limits of the car to their comfort level so they know what they can expect to get out of the car. Id hate for them to buy it and then a week later be mad at me because I told them to baby it and they didnt realize the the HP isnt as much as they would have preferred.

Plus, it doesnt hurt to vary the speeds your driving to give the car a bit of a break in, even though the manual clearly states, that none is needed on the Toyotas.
derrick452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:49 PM   #17
ExocetCom

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris RS
The Toyota dealership I purchased my Yaris from has not-for-sale demo cars for pretty much every model they sell so I didn't feel so bad when I beat up on the demo car they lent me for the entire day (it had like 1000km on it). It seems like it had been rather abused as the transmission wasn't in the greatest shape ever.

However, if I ever take out a car that's not strictly a demo vehicle (ie. someone may actually buy it) I'll be nice and gentle wit it.
ExocetCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 04:19 PM   #18
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
I drive same as my own, but rentals are a totally different story. ;)
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote