Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-16-2007, 04:02 PM   #1
ExocetCom

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris RS
Throttle System?

I've been wondering about this but haven't found a concrete answer looking through technical stuff I can find.

Does the Yaris' 1NZ-FE engine use a standard mechanical throttle cable, or a drive-by-wire e-throttle system?
ExocetCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 04:03 PM   #2
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
drive by wire electronic

are you having throttle problems?
Old 08-16-2007, 04:17 PM   #3
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Yep, and DC motor assist steering! The coolness is all over the place!
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 05:50 PM   #4
ExocetCom

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris RS
Ah, so that explains the sluggish throttle response during shifting.

My last car had quite heavy clutch and pedals so it's taking me a bit of getting used to the Yaris' feather-light touch controls.

I'm really not a fan of drive-by-wire systems. Not for safety or redundancy reasons, but more so because I like the control you get with a physical linkage between driver and engine. I don't really enjoy the idea that a computer has to interpret what I'm trying to put in.

Not to mention I find the steering very sloppy and unresponsive, but hey this isn't a track car or anything.
ExocetCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 06:20 PM   #5
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExocetCom View Post
Ah, so that explains the sluggish throttle response during shifting.

My last car had quite heavy clutch and pedals so it's taking me a bit of getting used to the Yaris' feather-light touch controls.

I'm really not a fan of drive-by-wire systems. Not for safety or redundancy reasons, but more so because I like the control you get with a physical linkage between driver and engine. I don't really enjoy the idea that a computer has to interpret what I'm trying to put in.

Not to mention I find the steering very sloppy and unresponsive, but hey this isn't a track car or anything.
The reason for the sluggish throttle response has nothing to do with the fly-by-wire gas pedel found in our Yaris. The problem is that Toyota programmed the ECU to be sluggish....think about it...a computer can be programmed to be 100% responsive, but for whatever reason Toyota built it that way. Computers are freakin fast, so don't you think they could decrease the response time if they wanted? Of course.

I do think that the sluggish response is worse for those driving manual transmissions then the automatic cars.
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:33 PM   #6
Turbo&Auto

Drives: 07
DBW FTL.....I hate it....
Turbo&Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:54 PM   #7
whoguy

Drives: Yaris YRS Sedan
Yep,

Have to agree with PK...... I reckon the delay is due to the speed of the DC motor..... not the computer.

I'm sure the system uses some kind of servo (feedback) system to determine optimum throttle position for any given road condition..... so you don't want to go stuffing around with it too much......

But hey... this is a economy car....
whoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:27 PM   #8
Quatro

Drives: '07 Yaris LB Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
did you ever hear about timing delay Mr."Digital is only Numbers"? No computer will ever be 100% responsive (aka instant reaction) unless they mass produce photonic computers (aka a light computer). Each component in a electronic system produces delay.
All these delays combined wouldn't be nearly as long as to be noticeable to a human.
Press a button on a keyboard and watch the letter appear on a screen. Noticed delay? No? At the same a signal had to go through several electronic components to reach the screen.
Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:23 PM   #9
JosephDoc

Drives: 07 Yaris 3D
It has electrical throttle peddles just like most of Toyota/Scion/Lexus. I should say... the peddles now acts like your PlayStation joypads.. analog signals on how deep you press on it. That is scary but cool.
JosephDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:08 PM   #10
cactus22minus1
The Chinese Apple

Drives: '07 Yaris LB- Black Sand Pearl
Quote:
ok you're right but how many times does your computer lock up?it happens often
Dude... not trying to gang up on you, but that is a very poor comparison. Personal computers lock up on us all the time, NOT because that is the nature of computers in general. They lock up because personal computers are made by parts from a ton of different manufacturers and are operated by and run software from hundreds of different software developers. Of course such a system is never going to be all that reliable!

The computer in a vehicle is a proprietary system... designed for one task... very different story.
cactus22minus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:10 PM   #11
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Here's an old thread with some good info, but no solution...I'm guessing there really isn't one, unless you can reprogram ecu..

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...t=throttle+lag