Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-06-2010, 07:21 PM   #19
jimek

Drives: 2009 yaris hatch 5 speed
where is the fuse to pull to get rid of the power steering at?
and can i just put it back in later and have it work like normal again?
jimek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:37 AM   #20
Dadombomb15

Drives: 1996 Miata
fuse is under the hood in the fuse box next to the battery
on the inside of the top of the fuse box, there's a diagram.
just removed mine tonight, i really like the feel without the PS. It's a lot tighter than you would expect. my family is riddled with classic cars without power steering, and i really like the feel of that, but this is a little tighter than that. I think I'm going to run without it for a while though :]
Performance: Corksport "Drift" Cat-Back Exhaust, Hard Dog Ace Double Diagonal Roll Bar
Future (planned) mods: Intake, bumper turning light "induction" kit, better aftermarket wheels (lighter), light flywheel, upgraded clutch, racing seats, etc etc.
Dadombomb15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:44 AM   #21
Dadombomb15

posted from a thread on microimage forums

fuse box..

fuse box label..

this is with the fuse already removed. and yes you can just pop it back in when you want to use it again. be careful, because when i pulled mine out, it fell into the engine bay and rested on the bodykit JUST out of reach, took a lot of maneuvering and long sticks to get it to a point where I could get it.
Performance: Corksport "Drift" Cat-Back Exhaust, Hard Dog Ace Double Diagonal Roll Bar
Future (planned) mods: Intake, bumper turning light "induction" kit, better aftermarket wheels (lighter), light flywheel, upgraded clutch, racing seats, etc etc.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:30 AM   #22
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
I gave this a try last night (pulled the fuse before I left work) and drove home. My god it was awful.

I've driven quite a few cars that didn't have power steering (or it was disabled) and they felt great. The Yaris felt so horrible. The wheel was incredibly hard to turn at all speeds (even on the highway when it should be easier). Needless to say I re-enabled the power steering when I got home.

It's a shame too, I bet the Yaris would benefit greatly from a nice, quick ratio, manual steering rack...
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:39 AM   #23
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
i guess because the electric motor is suck there when you have it disabled... hence the very hard to turn at all speed.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:47 AM   #24
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
i guess because the electric motor is suck there when you have it disabled... hence the very hard to turn at all speed.
I guess so. You would think they would have designed it to "loosen up" a bit if the power cuts out to the steering motor. Oh well.
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:17 PM   #25
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
You might want to try unplugging the cables from the power steering ECU (which is under the dash above the steering wheel). It may be placing a load across the motor leads when unpowered, which would cause regenerative braking of the motor (which means the quicker you move the motor the more it resists). Unplugging the connectors would disconnect the motor from the unpowered control circuitry to ensure that there is no load.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:20 PM   #26
jimek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadombomb15 View Post
fuse is under the hood in the fuse box next to the battery
on the inside of the top of the fuse box, there's a diagram.
just removed mine tonight, i really like the feel without the PS. It's a lot tighter than you would expect. my family is riddled with classic cars without power steering, and i really like the feel of that, but this is a little tighter than that. I think I'm going to run without it for a while though :]
i know that now, that was me on the micro image forum hence the same username.. and those are the pics i took haha
Old 04-23-2010, 08:52 PM   #27
Dadombomb15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimek View Post
i know that now, that was me on the micro image forum hence the same username.. and those are the pics i took haha
hence why I was sure to give credit where it was due, sorry I didn't have your name posted in my quote, couldn't remember it. If it came across as if i was taking credit for it, my apologies haha that was a really helpful post :]

edit: and after re-reading a second time what you said, my bad, i didn't recognize it was the same username haha
also, if anyone is wondering if it will show anything on the hud, a red P/S shows up. and when i turn the car on, i notice a few clicking noises like it's trying to switch it on? does anyone else notice that when the fuse is out?
Old 04-24-2010, 08:43 PM   #28
jimek

i didnt notice any clicking ill check tonight though