Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-19-2007, 08:08 PM   #1
death is my gift
wacky broadway nightmare

Drives: Willow is a '07 Red Yaris LB
Send a message via AIM to death is my gift Send a message via MSN to death is my gift Send a message via Yahoo to death is my gift
Name Brand Question(s)

I've been doing quite a lot of research on in-dash receivers and speakers. i'm looking to change out the stock on both. i was wondering some stuff. i see Pyle, Clarion, and Dual and then I see Kenwood, JVC, Sony. I plan on spending a little extra money in order to have a nice sounding system. so i guess my question is...

do "name brand" goodies sound better? kinda like the, 'get what you pay for' thingie? or does it really matter since they are doing the same thing?

and remember, before you start flaming me i am new at all of this. i didn't care about this sort of crap until i got my Yaris. that car (and this forum!) is keeping my ass broke as a joke. i researched my tires and rims before making the purchase and now i am doing the same with the audio. so, help a sista out.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:44 PM   #2
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
I always check ratings on stuff before I buy. The brands you are listing are mostly established brands that have been around for a long time. Don't know Pyle or Dual though at all. What do you expect to get out of your system? That is what you really need to ask yourself. Just about anything aftermarket will be an improvement over the stock stereo and speakers.

I personally am totally happy with the factory stereo and I take comfort in the fact that it isn't a popular item to steal. I don't like replacing stereos and windows every few months.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:13 AM   #3
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
If you were a guy, I'd ask about the ability to watch dirty movies in the car. If it's about good sound you don't need to go double din, there are many good single din players with many options. To that note even single din players with DVD to watch the dirty movies. Have a plan, $ , sound quality, and visual. Any after market system will have the possibilitiy for theft. Think about it long and hard, cause I'm sure you work hard for the money, as the saying goes.
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:05 AM   #4
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
i've read only bad things on Dual and Pyle. i think Audiobahn and Pyle have the same suppliers? either way, i won't get those no-name brands. and i will also check reviews first.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:05 AM   #5
sdmf
Down With the Sickness

Drives: 2007 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to sdmf
my personal choice would be panasonic or clarion, but if you want other brands that are good as well i would go for pioneer, alpine or eclipse. pioneer would give you the best bang for the buck since they are cheap with lots of features. thats just my opinion

Strength - Determination - Merciless - Forever
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 02:29 PM   #6
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmf View Post
my personal choice would be panasonic or clarion, but if you want other brands that are good as well i would go for pioneer, alpine or eclipse. pioneer would give you the best bang for the buck since they are cheap with lots of features. thats just my opinion
Panasonic is the king of quality sound in cars nowadays. The simple fact is they use digital amps in some of their head units and they sound unbelievably perfect when matched with some nice speakers (Panasonic CJ-DA1633 at $35.00/pair). The Panasonic CQ-C8803U is sweet! http://www.crutchfield.com/S-sGxMJNR...i=133C8803#Tab Make sure to read all 22 reviews. For sound quality this is it.

It won't make your ears bleed at 70WX4, but it will sound amazing up to a very hight listening level. Plus it has surround sound. Cool as hell!

Here is a link to the speakers too: http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...00000000005702

I owned an earlier model Panasonic with digital amp and Panasonic speakers with the discreet edge design, and a lot of folks said it was the best car system they had heard in terms of quality sound. It wont win a pump it up contest but for day to day amazing sound that people will notice, the Pannys have it.

Last edited by nsmitchell; 06-20-2007 at 02:59 PM.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:48 AM   #7
nauc

Drives: NA
the best sq decks are alpine, eclipse and pioneer and their entry decks aren't much more than sonys, pans, etc and dont degrade in sq much compared to their <$1000 decks

stay away from Dual, Pyle or any Pep Boys/RadioShack stuff
Old 06-21-2007, 04:18 AM   #8
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
Alpine has always been kind to me. I have had like 15 different cd players and I recommend Alpine, Kenwood, Panasonic for head units and Boston, Kicker, Rockford for speakers. Just go to a local shop and listen to the difference is the best way to do it.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:59 AM   #9
armature

Drives: yaris lb
don't go with a no name-brand. as for which name-brand, it all depends on your audio goals and budget. i stay away from sony decks. i'm partial to pioneer, or alpine. not a big fan of the newer alpines since they decided to use a manual opening face plate.
armature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:44 AM   #10
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
One way to help ensure you get a good product is to buy from someone who only carries better stuff. I like Crutchfield, all their stuff is good, or at least it used to be...I havent looked in a couple years. Try this link http://www.crutchfield.com/S-EwrYr2SEcDV/ Their service is excellent too
YarisTom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:28 AM   #11
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
If it doesn't have a digital amp built in - don't get it no matter what the cost. Crutchfied actually reccomends this deck (Panasonic CQ-C8803U) for the Yaris. I have heard lots of "good" car stereos. The digital amps make the difference. Plus they are 90-95% efficient and produce very little heat, compared to analog amps that sacrifice 30-40% of their power to heat.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:16 AM   #12
death is my gift
wacky broadway nightmare

Send a message via AIM to death is my gift Send a message via MSN to death is my gift Send a message via Yahoo to death is my gift
thanks a lot guys. i will probably end up with a Panasonic set up. just head unit and speakers. i'm not all into the 'bump bump' music. i just want something i can hear clearly over my loud ass tires.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:08 PM   #13
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by death is my gift View Post
thanks a lot guys. i will probably end up with a Panasonic set up. just head unit and speakers. i'm not all into the 'bump bump' music. i just want something i can hear clearly over my loud ass tires.
Nothing worse than a nice TOOL song ruined by bad speakers...
YarisTom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 01:21 PM   #14
death is my gift
wacky broadway nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisTom73 View Post
Nothing worse than a nice TOOL song ruined by bad speakers...
i wouldn't know about that. but give me some Sonic Youth or a little Pixies and i'm happy.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:38 PM   #15
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Quote:
Sonic Youth or a little Pixies
Old 06-25-2007, 01:42 PM   #16
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

I have been listening to Daydream Nation, Goo and Dirty a lot lately, kinda revisiting that time of my life I guess however I have a real hard on for Melvins I have been listening to bullhead all the way through almost everyday for two weeks ,and Marilyn Manson's new album is kinda catchy
Old 06-25-2007, 01:46 PM   #17
death is my gift
wacky broadway nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhardmeat View Post
I have been listening to Daydream Nation, Goo and Dirty a lot lately, kinda revisiting that time of my life I guess however I have a real hard on for Melvins I have been listening to bullhead all the way through almost everyday for two weeks ,and Marilyn Manson's new album is kinda catchy
Goo is probably my favorite from the 3 mentioned here. i never got into the Melvins. and Manson is, well....Manson
Old 06-25-2007, 01:48 PM   #18
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Quote:
Goo is probably my favorite from the 3 mentioned here. i never got into the Melvins. and Manson is, well....Manson
I'm not really a big Masnon fan myself but his new album is very different, it's pretty good, couple of really catchy songs

Goo is great but i'm torn between Goo and Dirty

what do you think of Daniel Johnston?

anyway Melvins first 3 albums are awesome-seriously