Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-14-2007, 08:35 PM   #1
acrbill

Drives: Polar White Hatch
avic d3

Anyone else hear about the upcoming Pioneer avic-d3? Probably the baddest in dash NAVI for anywhere near the price.

Check out all the features on this vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_w3UZIEo8k

If msrp is $1,000 you can bet it will have a street price of $850-950
Old 01-15-2007, 05:48 PM   #2
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
was gonna get the z2, no doubt im gettin the d3 mid to late summer, thats a kickass deck
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:36 AM   #3
qpid

Drives: BB 07 LB with Power Pckg
I will have this day one...

I hope
qpid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:21 PM   #4
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
that is an incredible price! come spring, im assuming a ton of yarii will have this. for those that havent used nav systems, they are awesome. since we've gotten one, the wifey and i have made the decision that every car we own will get one. makes traversing downtown LA a breeze, and road trips have never been easier. this pioneer packs so much bang for the buck...it's a pity we love the eclipse interface. they dont have anything like this for that cheap...

--B
Old 03-03-2007, 10:04 AM   #5
jdubau55

Drives: 2007 White Yaris LB 5 Spd.
Send a message via AIM to jdubau55 Send a message via Yahoo to jdubau55
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-AVIC-D3-...QQcmdZViewItem

FYI, I am kinda disappointed. From reading their description you have to buy add on components to get the Bluetooth and Ipod. I was under the impression it was all built into the unit. Bummer.
jdubau55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:39 AM   #6
qpid

Drives: BB 07 LB with Power Pckg
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...472031,00.html

the ipod cable is only $30 :)
qpid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 12:11 AM   #7
jdubau55

Still bluetooth isnt built in either. For that price those things should be built in. Im not one to buy something only to find out I have to also buy product B and product C to get original product A to work up to par.

180$ for Bluetooth??? Please....and not even a remote included in box??? Not nearly as impressive as the video made it out to be. Come on Pioneer, give me a break.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:36 PM   #8
ROCKLANDTOYOTA
JOE GIRTH

Drives: YARIS 3DOOR
eclipse 5500 is on my wish wist....
Old 03-04-2007, 04:55 PM   #9
yrsdrgn

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to yrsdrgn
I'm getting mine in a week or so. It's only $1,000 for a promotional introductory price (or so I have heard) and ends around the beginning of April I believe but don't quote me on this.

And just some specs:
* WMA Playback: Yes
* Satellite Radio Ready: Yes
* RMS Power Output: 22 Watts
* Preamp Voltage: 1.7 volts
* Subwoofer Preamp Outputs: Yes
* MP3 playback: Yes
* Maximum Power: 50 Watts
* HD Radio: No
* DIN: 2
* Changer Control: Yes
* CD Text: Yes
* Bluetooth: Optional
* Aux input: Yes
* Built-in EQ: Yes
* CD-R/CD-RW Compatible: Yes
* Remote Control: Yes
* Detachable Face: No
Old 03-04-2007, 07:22 PM   #10
static808

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubau55 View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-AVIC-D3-...QQcmdZViewItem

FYI, I am kinda disappointed. From reading their description you have to buy add on components to get the Bluetooth and Ipod. I was under the impression it was all built into the unit. Bummer.
im not sure theres anything in the market that offers everything for $1K. this pioneer i think is actually the best value out there, if you want navigation, good graphics and and an overall nice looking unit. i personally am leaning towards the eclipse 5510 since we are accustomed to fujitsu ten navigation systems (oem toyota), and like the larger screen (7"). i'd love to see someone put the d3 in their car to see how it matches, since it has a really glossy black finish. the eclipses have more of a matte dark-gray finish, which might match better with the yaris interior, but then again everyone has different tastes. the d3 is MUCH better value than the d2, but if you've got the cash and like pioneer, the z1 is amazing...

--B
Old 03-04-2007, 08:05 PM   #11
jdubau55

I'd love the Z1 but then I found out only 10 gig was available for music. Which was another let down, that and I have never been a Pioneer fan. I have my HU picked out anyways, just gotta get the cash.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:50 PM   #12
static808

man, i agree with you though that all manufacturers should just have bluetooth and ipod functionality standard, especially with head units costing upwards of over a thousand bucks. guess thats the price we have to pay for having everything bundled together into one unit. hope some cash flows your way soon (with these nav units, we're gonna need A LOT of it!!), and please post some pics when you get your system done!

--B
Old 03-04-2007, 10:26 PM   #13
JustYYaris

Drives: 2007 Blazing Blue Hatch M/T
totally agree with the ipod functionality and the bluetooth. Both ipod and bluetooth technologies have been out for a long time, you think it'd be standard in new head units. I guess the electronic companies are just trying to milk profits. I guess if it all came standard, it wouldn't be such a "wow cool!" thing anymore and we'd be complaining about not having the new "it" thing. Oh well.

I think the pioneer nav has a lot of value to it as well. I just wish they didn't cheap out on the pre amp outputs. 2v's kind of on the lower end... if someone was interested in putting a 1000 head unit, I would think they'd also be prone to putting in high end amps, speakers, subs, etc. AFAIK, the higher the voltage the stronger the signal, better sound quality.
JustYYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:05 PM   #14
yrsdrgn

is there something wrong with having 2v's for the pre amps? sorry i dont know much about the audio stuff so any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:54 PM   #15
jdubau55

Just gotta take the time to list my old Honda on Ebay and hope for the best. I feel like I should be able to get an easy grand out of her. Which should cover my front\rear speakers and HU perfectly.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:03 PM   #16
static808

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrsdrgn View Post
is there something wrong with having 2v's for the pre amps? sorry i dont know much about the audio stuff so any info would be greatly appreciated.
absoultely nothing wrong! but, as the old saying goes, the bigger the better. eclipse units have 5V preouts, which is probably why people rave about their sound quality. but dont get me wrong, the d3 will still sound amazing to the average ear. those SQ people on this board will easily tell the difference, but you and i probably wont/cant!!

--B
Old 03-05-2007, 11:07 PM   #17
yrsdrgn

so basically the bigger the preamp output the better the quality will be on the speakers and stuff? especially the higher wattage ones?
Old 03-05-2007, 11:11 PM   #18
static808

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrsdrgn View Post
so basically the bigger the preamp output the better the quality will be on the speakers and stuff? especially the higher wattage ones?
yup. something about lowering the distortion. im not the resident expert, but its kinda the gist of it. and you want high RMS wattage output, not necessarily the max output. make sure all your speakers/components are powered within their recommended rms wattage. be careful and dont blow out your system by pumping 100W rms into a speaker that can only handle 80!! that is where bigger is NOT better...

--B