Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
Consumer Reports rates best and worst cars of 2012

Consumer reports rates the 2012 Yaris as one of the worst cars of 2012. Here

Toyota Yaris

The original Yaris hatchback scored a dismal 52 out of 100 points in our road tests. Still, that looks good compared with the redesigned 2012 model, which dropped to 41. This spartan hatchback subjects you to a noisy cabin, uncomfortable seats, and a cheap-looking interior. It’s also slow to accelerate and has a choppy, uncomfortable ride. One redeeming quality is its excellent fuel economy of 32 mpg overall.

Really can't argue with any of that, of course I didn't buy mine for exceptional comfort or ride. I bought mine, I daresay like many here, for dependability and gas mileage.

On a recent roundtrip to Ohio, 1450 miles, I averaged over 43mpg.

cheers
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:30 AM   #2
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEexpat View Post
Consumer reports rates the 2012 Yaris as one of the worst cars of 2012. Here

Toyota Yaris

The original Yaris hatchback scored a dismal 52 out of 100 points in our road tests. Still, that looks good compared with the redesigned 2012 model, which dropped to 41. This spartan hatchback subjects you to a noisy cabin, uncomfortable seats, and a cheap-looking interior. It’s also slow to accelerate and has a choppy, uncomfortable ride. One redeeming quality is its excellent fuel economy of 32 mpg overall.

Really can't argue with any of that, of course I didn't buy mine for exceptional comfort or ride. I bought mine, I daresay like many here, for dependability and gas mileage.

On a recent roundtrip to Ohio, 1450 miles, I averaged over 43mpg.

cheers
Consumer Reports can opine about the Yaris, but those of us who have a soft spot for our Yari aren't going to change our minds. I actually think the bashing is good. it might help keep the Yaris from becoming popular to the point where Toyota feels they can accelerate an increase in price. As long as it stays just popular enough to remain in production, that would be fine with me.....like a Goldilocks Economy.......or people trying to stay 'under the radar'.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
CR has a track record for being tools and stooges for whom lines their pockets. I have been in several 2012 makes/models since I travel a lot for work and have to do the rental thing. I can find plenty of vehicles that they give kudos to that I was left very wanting about. This type of subject is, well, so subjective. Anyone who uses them as a "proper" measuring stick needs to have the following done to them (I am poaching from a post off FB from MI and changing WILL to SHOULD):

YOU SHOULD BE SUBJECT TO BEING TIED TO A STAKE WITH FISHING WIRE, WHILST BEING DOUSED WITH MILK OF MAGNESIA, AND TICKLED WITH A FEATHER FROM A RED BEAKED CRANE AND HAVING YOUR BARE FEET AUTOGRAPHED BY BOB BARKER.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #4
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
CR has a track record for being tools and stooges for whom lines their pockets. I have been in several 2012 makes/models since I travel a lot for work and have to do the rental thing. I can find plenty of vehicles that they give kudos to that I was left very wanting about. This type of subject is, well, so subjective. Anyone who uses them as a "proper" measuring stick needs to have the following done to them (I am poaching from a post off FB from MI and changing WILL to SHOULD):

YOU SHOULD BE SUBJECT TO BEING TIED TO A STAKE WITH FISHING WIRE, WHILST BEING DOUSED WITH MILK OF MAGNESIA, AND TICKLED WITH A FEATHER FROM A RED BEAKED CRANE AND HAVING YOUR BARE FEET AUTOGRAPHED BY BOB BARKER.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #5
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
I agree with the report. But this car dependable as fark but YOTA needs to make it a funky fun car to drive.That's the bottom line.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
carolinablue

Drives: 2012
1) The reporter from Consumer Reports would seem to be one who likes to plant a fat butt in a large bloat boat.
2) ConsumerReports, in its day had the Neon as one of its top rated cars.
3) The gas milage they rate the Yaris at is completely off. Consumer Reports says 32 mpg. I get 36 mpg in heavy traffic with the AC going full blast, 39 mpg town and country and 45 mpg on the open highway.
carolinablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:13 PM   #7
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
C.R. gets fuel economy from the window sticker by adding the 2 and then dividing it by 2 for the average . They'll sometimes add / deduct the overall average by 1 as well . This is very misleading . Was a subscriber to C.R. , but found it to be too repetitive and too critical ( nit-picking ) .

Last edited by Hershey; 09-07-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:53 AM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
1) The reporter from Consumer Reports would seem to be one who likes to plant a fat butt in a large bloat boat.
2) ConsumerReports, in its day had the Neon as one of its top rated cars.
3) The gas milage they rate the Yaris at is completely off. Consumer Reports says 32 mpg. I get 36 mpg in heavy traffic with the AC going full blast, 39 mpg town and country and 45 mpg on the open highway.
#1 =
Old 09-07-2012, 08:42 AM   #9
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consumer Reports
One redeeming quality is its excellent fuel economy of 32 mpg overall.
Opens a new tab and checks Fuelly.com

Number of times I got around 32 mpg: 2
Number of times I got less than 32 mpg: 1
Number of times I got more than 32 mpg: 49

Yeah, Consumer Reports, you must have done a real good job testing the Yaris...

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #10
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmck03 View Post

I concur. Even being boosted and having my AFR set aggressively I avg 33/34mpg. Hell, even when I do my land speed run weekends I still stay at above 30mpg and that is with pushing it over 110mph for a total of 7-15 miles on those weekends.

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #11
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
I concur. Even being boosted and having my AFR set aggressively I avg 33/34mpg. Hell, even when I do my land speed run weekends I still stay at above 30mpg and that is with pushing it over 110mph for a total of 7-15 miles on those weekends.
What's worse is those two sub-32 mpg numbers are: 31.67 and 31.92. And that's from 2.5 years of driving without a care in the world and just being amazed that I got such good mileage. Now that I'm paying attention to how I drive, I'm getting close to 40 mpg. And that's without doing all of that crazy hypermiling stuff!

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #12
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmck03 View Post

. My figures are even more pronounced....I = about 9 times that many tanks and the ones under 35 mpg combined = about one percent.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #13
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Oh yeah and another thing. The tires that they sell the car with, unless they have changed from the 07-11, are total garbage. You can get better FE with different tires for sure. Case in point is that I am boosted and with using it several times a tank I am still avg over 38mpg now with my Kuhmo EXTA tires which would mean that if I stayed out of boost I would probably get a couple more mpg if not more out of it. And BTW, that is mixed driving at the 38mpg.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #14
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
When I was looking at the Yaris four years ago, after having a sedan as a rental during a business trip, I looked up what owners thought of the car. I could care less what "professional" journalists' opinions were out there, usually those are very biased and based on only a few days if that with the vehicle. Owners opinions are what mattered most to me, people who used their own money to purchase the car and who lived with it day in, day out.

That is what sold me on the Yaris, as there were virtually no negative comments on the car. Those that actually owned them loved them, despite the mainly negative ratings given by the "professionals." Sure, every car has its shortcomings; but for the most part Yaris owners were extremely happy with their cars and praised them.

Yeah, the Yaris has some issues; but for what it was designed to do--be an economical means of transportation--it excels. I love my hatchback and as many of us have learned on here there are a million things you can do to personalize it. Another thing I really like about the Yaris is they are not as common as Civics, Neons, etc. Other Yaris hatchbacks stand out when they go by.

The other day another black hatch that was pretty much stock passed me going in the opposite direction, the driver was straining to get a good look at my car. Hopefully he'll be inspired to do some mods on his to make it a bit more unique. Nothing against stock cars, but I always prefer to "personalize" my vehicles to make them stand out from the others...

Cheers! M2
Old 09-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #15
baseballfan416

Drives: 2017 L 3-door
CR is extremely flawed in its overall "process"...

For starters, lack of traction control(before it was mandatory)/abs take a ton of points off their "scores." Heck, my 07 doesn't even have cruise control. I bet that's a deduction, even though I don't need it for my purpose.

Then you have a lack of segmenting bias. They hold a $15000 car to the same standards as the $65k plus Lexus. Rather than looking at a vehicle, for what it's worth and comparing to its competitors, they test everything to the same "standard" spec. Road noise in an economy car is almost a given, why even mention it?

And I'm sorry but anytime you add arbitrary arguments such as "styling" and "comfort" into the equation, you're creating a flawed comparison. You can't take subjective notions and put them into an objective argument. I'm sure if I were 6ft8 and 300lbs, my 07 sedan would be far less comfortable to drive. But I'm not. And as much as I think it's odd having a dash in the middle of the car, I can't tell you how many compliments it's gotten (often from pretty girls :). So unless they take subjective comments such as noisy cabin and turn it into an argument of objectivity (compare to other cars in the segment with a decibel meter at certain speeds), I can't really view that as appropriate criticism.

And lastly, what's up with the stupid color dotting system? If you think I'm going to purchase a car because some magazine puts all red dots on one car and all black dots on another, take another guess. I want legitimate statistics specs etc... I don't trust some statistician saying "we give this a black dot because it has this much interior room and that gets a black because it has a smaller backseat."

In short, the CR process sucks because it limits your ability to make an informed decision by attempting to color code that process for you.
baseballfan416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:32 PM   #16
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Don't get me wrong i love the Yaris.

It is a good honest work horse.But it's rather noisy in the cabin specially at highway speeds, it's fidgety over the bumps, and it's not a bad ride.But it's not fun either, just ok..definitely not boring.Overall it's reliable and gets great mpg.So you forgive it and love it for what it is a good dependable workhorse.

I saw one report where my car the Toyota Yaris 1.5 ltr, 3 dr, 5 speed manual was rated at 4 stars out of 5. Which I agree with.It's a good car no doubt about that.It just misses out on being great on those extras.Like a fun drive and refinement.But it's rated just right, imo.We can't have all the good things and have a cake and eat it at the same time.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:43 PM   #17
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
When I was looking at the Yaris four years ago, after having a sedan as a rental during a business trip, I looked up what owners thought of the car. I could care less what "professional" journalists' opinions were out there, usually those are very biased and based on only a few days if that with the vehicle. Owners opinions are what mattered most to me, people who used their own money to purchase the car and who lived with it day in, day out.

That is what sold me on the Yaris, as there were virtually no negative comments on the car. Those that actually owned them loved them, despite the mainly negative ratings given by the "professionals." Sure, every car has its shortcomings; but for the most part Yaris owners were extremely happy with their cars and praised them.

Yeah, the Yaris has some issues; but for what it was designed to do--be an economical means of transportation--it excels. I love my hatchback and as many of us have learned on here there are a million things you can do to personalize it. Another thing I really like about the Yaris is they are not as common as Civics, Neons, etc. Other Yaris hatchbacks stand out when they go by.

The other day another black hatch that was pretty much stock passed me going in the opposite direction, the driver was straining to get a good look at my car. Hopefully he'll be inspired to do some mods on his to make it a bit more unique. Nothing against stock cars, but I always prefer to "personalize" my vehicles to make them stand out from the others...

Cheers! M2
Well put!
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:35 AM   #18
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
We test drove a '09 Corolla and then the Yaris . Found the ride to be better and the noise level to be lower on the highway when test driving both . Thus bought the Yaris .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote