Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-06-2012, 12:42 AM   #1
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Any Cali Members have any input on this?

Running out of gas, stations in CA now inching toward $5/gallon prices

http://green.autoblog.com/2012/10/05...ward-5-gallon/

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:08 AM   #2
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Our Thrifty (ARCO) gas station went from $3.99 to $4.57 in 2 days.

Luckily we don't use much gas with a 70 mpg motorcycle, and a 40 mpg car. The 25 mpg truck only gets used for local work.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:05 AM   #3
TPA5
Wait, what?

Drives: NULL
That's crazy. Disgusting, even. I'm sure the CEO's of big oil are still cruising in private jets and their precious sports cars.
TPA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
Brian

Drives: '07 Yaris turbo, '11 Juke
I paid $4.38/gal on Thursday then on Friday it was $4.89/gal at the same gas station. Supposed to go up another $.05 - $.15 this weekend. Wish I didn't have to use premium.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
You asked for input. Have you driven on our freeways? Widening is proven not to work.

Maybe more people will move closer to work. Maybe more people will change their choice in vehicle. This is what it takes, unfortunately.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #6
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPA5 View Post
That's crazy. Disgusting, even. I'm sure the CEO's of big oil are still cruising in private jets and their precious sports cars.
Given that they pretty much have us over a barrel literally and figuratively, oil companies should be able to charge enough for gas to have huge profit margins...gouging us. The net profit margin for Exxon Mobil for Fiscal Year 2011 was 8.68 percent. Apple Inc.'s net profit margin for the same period was 23.95 percent. Shouldn't people be nearly 3 times as pissed off at Apple as they are at Exxon Mobil? Why doesn't Apple lower it's prices to 'get with the program' and not be so 'greedy'? Why doesn't Apple have 3 times the 'static and noise' from protestors that Exxon Mobil does? (and an argument could be made that Foxconn's treatment of workers is as bad as Exxon Mobil's environmental slip ups). Why aren't people many more times as pissed off about Apple CEO Tim Cook's compensation as they are about Exxon Mobil CEO Rex Tillerson's much smaller compensation? A reporter stopped an Occupy Wall Street poster (who was typing on a MacBook Pro) and asked her why she was using a Macbook Pro given her stance. She didn't have a cogent answer. IMO, one of the answers to these questions is that many people think Apple is cool and Exxon Mobil is not. Also, people don't like to pay what they feel is a high price for something that they need that evaporates. One could make the argument that Apple products are somewhat like cigarettes or alcohol. Not a physical addiction like the other two, but some people seem to be nearly as obsessed. People don't need them, but some people seem to be nearly addicted to Apple products. Apple realizes this and can charge what they charge. People keep 'paying the fare'. Also, many people have oil company stock in personal accounts and retirement accounts. I just think the harping on oil company executives gets a little tiresome sometimes. FWIW, the only connection I have to any oil company is a very small fractional share of an oil lease that my grandfather inherited from a friend of his and I gross about 40 dollars per month in income from this fractional lease....and this is through a small company, not a big oil company. I just have the opinion I have. It isn't influenced by 40 dollars per month.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Wow, I just paid $3.39/gal here in Texas, and I thought that was bad! At least our prices are going down (for a change).

You folks have my sympathy!

Cheers! M2
Old 10-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #8
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
You asked for input.
Yup, trying to understand what is going on in your state that is causing the national attention of the fuel pricing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
Fidelio
EcoFriendly

Drives: 2007 Vitz HB
Ultimately we still pay less than most other countries. I think were people freak out is the part were the dummies drive big ass cars guzzling their wallet just to get to work. That 6 or 8 cylinder isn't cool. If people were smarter like us the majority would drive economical.

I have no sympathy for those that pay 60+ to fill up. I saw this coming since mid 2006. Its no shocker.

Besides wasn't it 420 earlier so what is another 40 cents? not much if you ask me.
Fidelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #10
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Maybe more people will move closer to work.
I did something similar by moving work closer to me. I used to drive all over town to work. Now I work almost exclusively within my local community and it only took 10 years to transition.

Quote:
Maybe more people will change their choice in vehicle. This is what it takes, unfortunately.
...or fortunately, if the vehicle is a zippy little fuel efficient Yaris.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #11
Gogogordy

Drives: Miss my Yaris, love my Jeep jk
Market will bear....

Quote:
You asked for input. Have you driven on our freeways? Widening is proven not to work.

Maybe more people will move closer to work. Maybe more people will change their choice in vehicle. This is what it takes, unfortunately.
Well, they can charge it, because in California driving lotsa miles, in WHATEVER size vehicle you wish is considered a god-given right. If 30% of the motorists in California did NOT purchase gas for say 24 hrs, the price would drop. Dramatically. Unfortunately, nobody seems willing to do so.

If fewer people drove trucks and Suburbans etc., and more people drove smaller cars....28, 30, 35 mpg vehicles or scooters and motorcycles the price would drop. Few Californians seem willing to do so.

So, since people, lots of people are willing to buy gas to feed their large vehicles, and continue long commutes, the oil companies are going to take any and every opportunity to gouge them, and laugh all the way to the bank in the process.
So as long as the market will bear it, they'll continue to pay. Reduce the overall demand and the price goes down.

Econ 101.

When I'm not driving my Yaris, I'm doing this:
http://gogogordy1.wix.com/scooter-aficionado
Gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:57 AM   #12
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelio View Post
Ultimately we still pay less than most other countries. I think were people freak out is the part were the dummies drive big ass cars guzzling their wallet just to get to work. That 6 or 8 cylinder isn't cool. If people were smarter like us the majority would drive economical.

I have no sympathy for those that pay 60+ to fill up. I saw this coming since mid 2006. Its no shocker.

Besides wasn't it 420 earlier so what is another 40 cents? not much if you ask me.
Geez, it cost almost that much to fill my Echo with regular.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #13
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelio View Post
I have no sympathy for those that pay 60+ to fill up.
I came in at just over 115 bucks to fill my Bronco a few days go 26gal tank x $.40 = $10.40 per tank. Kind of adds up.

You can try to analyze and rationalize that everyone needs to just go economy, but there really are plenty of cases where of course that just won't work. Sure, I could have purchased a truck from the last couple years that gets around 18mpg mixed which is the real metric for everyday driving or 23mpg for highway, but that would cost me a 400+ payment a month, 30k plus for purchase price, and 600+ a year for registration/taxes. You can't haul much with high efficiency vehicles and you can carry much with them either in terms of items other than home, electronics, etc possessions.

The purpose of this thread is for the folks that live in Cali to chime in on their experiences there to get a better understanding not (to be blunt) have folks be ass clowns and point out the nuances of fuel economy/efficiency and what people should or shouldn't be driving.

That being said I guess I should go ahead and hook up my trailer to my sedan and go pick up the 14 sheets of sheetrock, 24 2x4x8s, and 2 interior door assemblies....no wait...

Old 10-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #14
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogogordy View Post
Well, they can charge it, because in California driving lotsa miles, in WHATEVER size vehicle you wish is considered a god-given right. If 30% of the motorists in California did NOT purchase gas for say 24 hrs, the price would drop. Dramatically. Unfortunately, nobody seems willing to do so.

If fewer people drove trucks and Suburbans etc., and more people drove smaller cars....28, 30, 35 mpg vehicles or scooters and motorcycles the price would drop. Few Californians seem willing to do so.

So, since people, lots of people are willing to buy gas to feed their large vehicles, and continue long commutes, the oil companies are going to take any and every opportunity to gouge them, and laugh all the way to the bank in the process.
So as long as the market will bear it, they'll continue to pay. Reduce the overall demand and the price goes down.

Econ 101.
...and the 'god given right' attitude is much worse in Texas, and there is more of a 'Suburban and Truck' culture in many areas. The wastefulness extends to other things as well. I was in the hospital for a couple of days in June (to get drip antibiotics for an issue that wasn't responding to oral medication) and the 'chef' (that's the way he introduced himself ) came up to ask me if everything was satisfactory. I said yes, the only small thing that was off was that I ordered half a sandwich and got a whole one. he said they include a whole sandwich whether you order a half or a whole sandwich (). I said I only mentioned it because you asked and I thought it was a little wasteful. He said, "Oh, we don't care about that". He wasn't kidding. He wasn't trying to be ironic. He was dead serious. SMH inside.

However what would be worse, IMO, is the government getting involved in the 'god given right - Suburban and truck' scenario with a nanny state 'solution'.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:20 PM   #15
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogogordy View Post

Econ 101.
please explain to me how a net profit margin of 8.68 percent is gouging.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:57 PM   #16
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Wow, I just paid $3.39/gal here in Texas, and I thought that was bad! At least our prices are going down (for a change).

You folks have my sympathy!

Cheers! M2
Its $5.32 per gallon here ($1.41 per L) where I am now for work! Better yet my work truck is a chevy suburban. I took a 45 minute drive on roads with 40-45-50mph speed limits and used over 18L of fuel! It was insane! I don't know how people own these kinds of cars and drive them everywhere!
Old 10-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #17
Gogogordy

Drives: Miss my Yaris, love my Jeep jk
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
please explain to me how a net profit margin of 8.68 percent is gouging.

Please explain to me where, and how 8.68 percent came up in my post...l
(oh and if you believe that the COST to produce gas has increased at the same rate the PRICE has here in Cali over the last week, and that the extra revenue derived from such increases doesn't go directly, penny for penny to the oil companies bottom line....I've got some beachfront property you'll like for next to nothing....)

When I'm not driving my Yaris, I'm doing this:
http://gogogordy1.wix.com/scooter-aficionado
Gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #18
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
It's also the state with the highest number of hybrids and I think sub-compacts anywhere (Scion iQ, Fiat 500, etc.)

Quote:
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote