Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
xbgod
Banned

Drives: "Burning It Down GTX2860RS XB"
Gude cams "NOT SO NACHO"

I'm here to report that we just ran into a issue with the compression of the motor, After installing the Gude head package. It appears to be a overlapping issue of the cams.

Rolo wanted to start the car on the Microtech and see how it responded while waiting on the Haltech. In doing so the car did not want to start, even though there was fuel, air and spark. So after scratching his head and tring to figure out WTF happened he did a compression check on the motor and it was at 55lb across the board. A engine needs a 100lb to start so we knew where the problem was instantly. The head was the only thing changed on this car for this new build.

Bottom end was same as before and ring seal was perfect.

I had 180lb across the board before the "Gude head and Cams"

As you can imagine I'm a little pissed about this but these are things to expect when dealing with something or someone new. "Gude"

Old race head will be back on by Sat. This is the one I've been using for a few years and have had zero issues with. So for all that were interested in it, sorry it's going back on my car.

I haven't called gude yet but I'm sure it will not be worth my time. These are racing parts and like all racing parts it's hard to recupe money on these kinds of parts.

for all those that this is working good on, keep any eye on the valve bucket set-up. That valve-seat tit extender he uses to go under the bucket to get the clearence could become a issue with you daily drivers.

So as it stands right now Bill Gude needs to figure out WTF is going on with his shit. I do not belive any of this stuff was tested properly before it left his shop.

Buyer beware........

So here you guys go, this has been a lesson learned. Untill someone that is reputable makes a kit Like my good friend Brian Crower, stay away.

You can port and polish and install Ferrea valve train just don't do any cam stuff untill a real company can give some hard evidence.

XBG
Old 12-14-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
XBG HAS SPOKEN!!!!!
Old 12-14-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
xbgod
Banned

I'll never give false info when it comes to parts or performance. If it sucks I'll tell you. And if my tunner syas it sucks, belive me........it sucks.

I'll never put out false numbers or performance gains on parts that are just not worth a shit.

This is one time being a gunie-pig did not pay.

Just got texted the Gude head is off my car!

Time to regroup and get it going again.

XBG
Old 12-14-2010, 05:37 PM   #4
H3LlIoN

Drives: '09 Yarrrr hatch
My Gude stuff works great. Question...did you give him specs and ask him to build it, or did he come up with the profile on his own and make it for you?

Call Bill, he's been pretty amicable on the phone as of late. He was more than happy to help out with the minor problems we had upon install.

And if you end up trashing that stuff, PM me before you throw it away.

On another note, I think we're declaring the gude stuff officially "hit or miss" at this point.

Special thanks to Cali Yaris, 1NZYaris1 and lilredrocket
Old 12-14-2010, 06:06 PM   #5
xbgod
Banned

I would say more of a miss. even you had to fabricate some stuff to get the cam gear correct.

I don't belive you should have to refabricate someone elses work when it should work already. Especially this kind of stuff. If it was battery bracket or a catch can, ok I can refab that to fit how I want it.

And after I gave him all my numbers on my motor down to every last detail he figured out what I should need. So these cams were done on his recomendations as per my turbo, compression and so fourth.

I'm not bitter nor will I say he is a total loss of a cam engineer. However I do not think he has the equiptment to pull off a true tested set of cams for this motor. Unlike Jun Performance who has a set-up to test all their cam configureations.

I think Gude has copied alot of cams from other cam company profiles and sells them as his own. Which is why he sells alot of Honda stuff. I think he just got creative and seen he could make a buck on a new product that no one else is doing.

Also after talking with Brian Crower there are reasons that no one is doing these cam profiles for this engine. If the demand was great enough like a 100 or more he would consider doing them. But it will take much more than a new set of cams for this motor. Were talking springs, buckets and possibly new valves instead of those tits Gude puts in a bag to go on top of the valve to fit in the bucket for clearence.

XBG
Old 12-14-2010, 09:17 PM   #6
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
We had no issues with our cams from Rebello, other than giving up some Tq to make high RPM power. Granted we are using a much more mild setup than you guys, we are limited to .390 lift by SCCA H Prod rules, but it was an easy swap with no crazy machine work or custom cam-gears needed.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:03 PM   #7
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Damn bro, sorry to hear about that. That's aggravating to pay so much for something that isn't even in the correct spec

I'm super bummed about the head as well. If it comes off again, let me know the moment it does. I'll always have some money put aside for that goodie
Old 12-15-2010, 03:39 AM   #8
Parmas

Drives: Vitz RS Turbo
Please for the sake of all, do a leak down test before you remove the head in order to be sure that the head is the problem.

Also did you replaced the head gasket or re-used the one you had? What head gasket are you using? This could be one of the causes.

Last thing, From my experience, NEVER say it's not my tuner, because like all people, they make mistakes but they do not admit them to prevent bad publicity.

BE SURE YOURSELF IS THE HEAD AND NOT BECAUSE YOUR TUNER SAID SO. DO A LEAKDOWN YOURSELF IF NECESSARY, if when doing the test the air does not leak from the intake nor exhaust ask the tuner if he replaced the headgasket upon install.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:40 AM   #9
xbgod
Banned

Leakdown was performed. And come-on..really, do you think i'd use a used head gasket.

New steel head gasket from Cometic and new head studs.

wish I had a different answer and didn't narrow it down to the head.

XBG
Old 12-15-2010, 04:56 AM   #10
Parmas

That's fine at least I pointed this out to ensure all possibility issues.

What cometic gasket are you using? Is it a custom one or does cometic stock gaskets for our 1NZFE?

What studs did you used on your built?
Old 12-15-2010, 05:24 PM   #11
xbgod
Banned

Just talked to Bill "Gude" Told him of the issues and right away he went to saying the timming was off and I must of bent valves and thats why the compression is low.

But wait, theres more....................

I then asked him to explain the excessive amount of metal shavings that were found TODAY after inspecting the motor. And since the only thing I did different was put on his head with a bottom end I've been using for the last year I knew it wasn't from there.

But wait there is still more................

Told him the motor never even fired because of lack of compression 55lb across the board and that after even further inspection today all the valves were sticking and not closing.

I went from 180lb across the board to 55lb with the chage of his head. Right now he is speachless and wants me to send the head back to him to inspect and fix.

Still more...............a excessive amount of carbon was also found on the valves because, you know Gude uses stuff from the junk yard to build his heads with.

Would not comment on who actually did the cam regrinds or who in his shop did the head work and assembly.

Here is what you get from Gude head package:

First head comes from junk yard. He then disassembles it cleans it and sends all that used shit out to someone for someone else to redue.

Cams are not ground in-house (will not say who actually did it)

Head work is done in-house by some retard and not him.

Everything about his head package is used shit from the salvage yard, except for the springs. Which he says Eibach makes for him. I'm about to find out if that is even true. Since I got a friend that does all the sponsorship over there.

So what you get gentlemen is a used head with used valves and used cams that get reground and installed with new springs (mabey)

And all that red shit he uses to check for valve fitment causes the valves to stick and not open or close properly.

All these issues were found out today upon further inspection and more investigation.

Bill you fucking Rock

Like I want all used recleaned shit from a junk yard in a 20k motor.

I'm just going to get all the pictures from CFT and post all this stuff online to ruine him so others avoid The junk Yard Dog.

XBG
Old 12-15-2010, 05:42 PM   #12
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgod View Post
Just talked to Bill "Gude" Told him of the issues and right away he went to saying the timming was off and I must of bent valves and thats why the compression is low.

But wait, theres more....................

I then asked him to explain the excessive amount of metal shavings that were found TODAY after inspecting the motor. And since the only thing I did different was put on his head with a bottom end I've been using for the last year I knew it wasn't from there.

But wait there is still more................

Told him the motor never even fired because of lack of compression 55lb across the board and that after even further inspection today all the valves were sticking and not closing.

I went from 180lb across the board to 55lb with the chage of his head. Right now he is speachless and wants me to send the head back to him to inspect and fix.

Still more...............a excessive amount of carbon was also found on the valves because, you know Gude uses stuff from the junk yard to build his heads with.

Would not comment on who actually did the cam regrinds or who in his shop did the head work and assembly.

Here is what you get from Gude head package:

First head comes from junk yard. He then disassembles it cleans it and sends all that used shit out to someone for someone else to redue.

Cams are not ground in-house (will not say who actually did it)

Head work is done in-house by some retard and not him.

Everything about his head package is used shit from the salvage yard, except for the springs. Which he says Eibach makes for him. I'm about to find out if that is even true. Since I got a friend that does all the sponsorship over there.

So what you get gentlemen is a used head with used valves and used cams that get reground and installed with new springs (mabey)

And all that red shit he uses to check for valve fitment causes the valves to stick and not open or close properly.

All these issues were found out today upon further inspection and more investigation.

Bill you fucking Rock

Like I want all used recleaned shit from a junk yard in a 20k motor.

I'm just going to get all the pictures from CFT and post all this stuff online to ruine him so others avoid The junk Yard Dog.

XBG
That sucks.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:21 PM   #13
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
Well @ this point Ill add I knew this would happen. Gude has been screwing the Honda crowd for years. Im sorry xB that I didnt chime in but most here dont take people experience & their word that things either work or dont work. If you want real head work I have a close freind that works @ Wilson Manifolds, which Im sure you have heard of, that ports heads. As for the valvetrain you can use Ferera. Another option is Rebello which sounds like Jason has had good results with.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:40 PM   #14
xbgod
Banned

Going to use my Nelson Racing Head that I had done a few years ago which was ported and polished and ran with Ferrea Valves that are +1mm oversized which worked great and produced good results.

So here's where we are:

Nelson Racing Head Ported ,Polished
Ferrea Valves+ 1mm oversized, springs, lockers and retainers
Cometic Steel gasket
Stock Cams

Just had all my stuff cleaned reassembled and assembly-lubed

not to mention had the rest of the motor inspected blown-out and dumped out 50.00 in Eneos oil and 15 K&N oil filter.

All should be back together by the weekend and ready to refire by early next week.

Gude Performance = Lesson learned

XBG
Old 12-16-2010, 04:45 AM   #15
Parmas

That's what I call business .....
Old 12-16-2010, 05:09 AM   #16
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
i want to say thank you xbgod. for taking the time and money to try a new head that us low ballers cannot afford to risk. thank you for your posts and your storys. i have been watching all the threads on gude heads since sept. and been waiting patiently for some results. aparently H3lton has had good luck with his.. but yours is a miss.. if its down to a hit or miss 2k head, i dont think the risk is worth it. again. thanks you and hope the rest of your build is a success
Old 12-16-2010, 08:01 AM   #17
Midnight Drifter
Going Retro

Drives: '09 Tacoma | '90 Tercel
Helion, not Helton... :D

But yeah, that sucks. XBGod, for reference, is your 'old' (new?) head custom?
Old 12-16-2010, 08:11 AM   #18
xbgod
Banned

Not even H3lion had real success out of the box. He also had to have a timming gear refabricated to get his set up correct.

Which for over a thousand plus dollars you shouldn't need to do. So in reality there has been no out of the box success.

You guys with no machine-shop access or online shop mechanical guides to use like the repair shops have are left holding the bag and fucked.

Which as a fabricator of racing parts, I think is bullshit. If I sent racing brakes out to customers that didn't work, had to be refabricated or caused other parts to fail..........the company I worked for would be broke from getting sued or out of business.

I gave Bill Gude all the leway in the world with his business practices. Even as far to say "there a family owned business and not always so easy to get with." because of lack of employes.

Well thats no longer an excuese. You have no real employes because any one with half a brain would run the other direction if they had to fix all your problems.

So as it stands there has been no real success with Gude performance other than me getting the info out to you guys and flushing a couple grand down the toilet.

XBG
Closed Thread