Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-05-2009, 05:08 PM   #19
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdood View Post
so just to be clear

when a solar trickle charger is used, the car battery is always fully charged, the amperage output of the alternator doesn't need to be increased, the engine doesn't need to work harder, and fuel is saved....correct?
Correct.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:23 PM   #20
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
last I checked, unless there is a parasitic drain the battery is only actively engaged in the power circuit during starting

the alternator is supplying the power for everything else there after.
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:26 PM   #21
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
Quote:
so just to be clear

when a solar trickle charger is used, the car battery is always fully charged, the amperage output of the alternator doesn't need to be increased, the engine doesn't need to work harder, and fuel is saved....correct?
honestly, that depends on how much power you use when you run the car... it actually takes about 40 amps just to RUN a car... let alone the stereo, wipers, headlights, heater/ac, etc... however, in a perfect world, when you run nothing but the car, you might save gas, but with anything in life, you probably will not save a noticable amount of gas... also, the battery will be charged when you go to start the car, but it will use some power to start the car...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:07 PM   #22
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
ah, cool, thanks.

I didn't know that the mechanical resistance increased or was variable.
electric motors are awesome like that :D

this might be of interest to some hypermillers...
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post109942
this guy just got a deepcycle bat and a switch to kill the alternator, he trickle charges the battery at home, some how ends up on top
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:50 PM   #23
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Probably not a lot. Now that we have all these major advances in electronics (lights, sound systems, etc), alternators don't have much work to do as before. If you dumped the water pump off that belt and converted it to electric, you would gain quite a bit, but I doubt if you would notice the difference...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:32 AM   #24
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
If you dumped the water pump off that belt and converted it to electric, you would gain quite a bit, but I doubt if you would notice the difference...
did that.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:13 AM   #25
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
Probably not a lot. Now that we have all these major advances in electronics (lights, sound systems, etc), alternators don't have much work to do as before. If you dumped the water pump off that belt and converted it to electric, you would gain quite a bit, but I doubt if you would notice the difference...
I gotta disagree with that.... the only thing that I will give you credit for when it comes to decreasing the load on the alternator is when people put in LED's to replace bulbs... some OEM's do that on certain lights... but usually you have to pay an arm & leg to do it aftermarket style.

Stereo's are no more efficient than they were 10 years ago.... and if you go back 25 years ago people were putting in smaller systems, and thus a smaller load.

The past 25 years has seen more and more electronics go into cars just to keep them turned on.... There is a ton of overhead spent electrically on computers....

Compare a domestic car from the 70's to a modern car.... Check the amperage draw while they are turned off... the 70's car will show about a milliamp due to a clock needing power... the modern car will be 5-20times that. That's when its turned off.

Furthermore... alternators in modern cars aren't built with as much headroom as they were 20+ years ago.

Things are getting harder.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:13 PM   #26
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
hi,

I was thinking about buying a solar trickle charger to increase my FE, but then I realized that it wouldn't make a difference if the alternator for the Yaris was not load sensitive (alternator still runs when the battery is fully charged).

Does anyone know for sure if the alternator for the Yaris is load sensitive?
Is it a smart charger that knows to not overcharge the battery and shut off the charging cycle when it senses a fully charged battery? Unless you have a parasitic drain I wouldn't worry about it because most batteries I test show a surface charge on the battery even though they've been sitting for hours. If I connected a battery minder charger to the battery it'd just shut off because it'd see a fully-charged battery.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:58 AM   #27
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
Is it a smart charger that knows to not overcharge the battery and shut off the charging cycle when it senses a fully charged battery?
Every solar trickle charger that I've seen uses a voltage-sensitive diode to prevent overcharging.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:05 AM   #28
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
Every solar trickle charger that I've seen uses a voltage-sensitive diode to prevent overcharging.
Then it's probably not taking enough charge to get all goosed out about. You can charge a battery all day long at 15.5 volts but soon as you kill the power it'll drop back off to around 13 volts or less, so I can't imagine a solar powered battery minder being able to do much with an already fully charged battery...I assume the battery is in good condition, the charging system is working properly and no parasitic drainage.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 10-10-2009, 07:04 PM   #29
basslover911

Drives: Future Yaris!
Being a super hypermiller, yes this would work.

Over at ecomodder, the consensus of completely removing the alternator is of a gain in mpg's of 10%. yes those are real numbers tested in very effective ways.

So yes, that would work. BUT, I doubt solar panels (with their MAX current efficiency of only 16% could make enough power to replace the power needed).

Then what happens when its cloudy outside? If you only drive at night? etc etc etc
basslover911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:40 AM   #30
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Dont those solar trickle chargers plug into the lighter socket? if so is the circuit still active when the car is turned off?
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:59 AM   #31
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Dont those solar trickle chargers plug into the lighter socket? if so is the circuit still active when the car is turned off?

yes some plug in, some connect to the batter directly.

and no, when the key is off, the cigarette lighter circuit is not active.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:08 AM   #32
basslover911

Drives: Future Yaris!
For it to be beneficial it would have to be on the whole time (nothing major, a simple $40 charge controller online and a wire lead to the + and one to the - side of the battery and your done)... otherwise it would be a barely any help if you just have it while driving. The sun needs time and unless you ALWAYS drive between 11am and 2pm... your not getting the best of things.

Covering the whole roof/hood of my yaris is one of my objectives combined with a deep cycle battery on my way to completely remove the alternator- then I can remove the a/c and water pump pulley AND the crank pulley and replace those with electric motors (except the crank pulley, of course)
basslover911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:41 PM   #33
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by basslover911 View Post
For it to be beneficial it would have to be on the whole time (nothing major, a simple $40 charge controller online and a wire lead to the + and one to the - side of the battery and your done)... otherwise it would be a barely any help if you just have it while driving. The sun needs time and unless you ALWAYS drive between 11am and 2pm... your not getting the best of things.

Covering the whole roof/hood of my yaris is one of my objectives combined with a deep cycle battery on my way to completely remove the alternator- then I can remove the a/c and water pump pulley AND the crank pulley and replace those with electric motors (except the crank pulley, of course)
I'm not sure, but if I was going to toss the alternator, I might also just trash the A/C while I was at it...the same pink wire that goes to the ECU also tees off to the A/C amplifier ...OR I'd just be happy with what Toyota engineered and not make life anymore complicated.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 10-12-2009, 04:02 PM   #34
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
Honestly, wtf has the Prius done!?

Now everyone wants Solar power on their car!!!
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote