Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-01-2015, 02:35 PM   #1
Ranger SVO

Drives: 2010 Yaris
What is it about the Yaris

How much longer will the Yaris be around?

I don’t know. The Yaris was purchased new in January 2010 out of necessity. It was cheap and we needed a new car. Our Cavalier had a busted head gasket and a high probability the head was cracked.

In the end of November 2012, we bought a new Honda Civic EX. The newly redesigned 2012 Civic got less than stellar reviews so Honda did a redesign for 2013. Dealers were selling 2012 Civics cheap when the 2013 became available. Buying a fully loaded 2012 EX for the price of an LX was a no brainer. We drove to Dallas (190 miles) and bought the Civic. Originally we were going to put down $2500 and trade the Yaris. To make a long story short, I drove the Yaris back, my wife drove the Honda.

When we got home, the Yaris still had its place under the carport along with my 1993 Ford Ranger. The Honda’s place was in the drive way. In March 2012, I built another 20 x 20 foot carport and the Ranger was moved. The Yaris kept its spot.

In September 2013, I bought a new Hyundai Sonata. Again I chose to keep the Yaris.

The Yaris is 5 years old this month and currently has 35,800 miles on it. It is still driven on a regular basis. I drive it to work at least 3 times a week. My wife also drives it on a regular basis. She might say “I have to do this and that and go here and there, leave the Yaris here so I can use it”.

When she goes grocery shopping, she folds down the rear seats and takes the Yaris. She said it will hold a month’s worth of groceries with no problem. She recently bought herself a new 26-inch bicycle. Yes a fully assembled 26-inch bicycle will fit in Yaris with no problem. It would not have fit in the Honda or the Hyundai. (Only I drive the Ranger).

I took the Yaris to the dealer for a recent recall. I wandered around the lot while it was being repaired. I was approach by salesman on two different occasions. I explained that I was just looking while my Yaris was in the shop. Both salesman said the same thing, "People with Yarii rarely get rid of them".

What is it about this car?

Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.
Giordano Bruno
Ranger SVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:10 PM   #2
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
My 08 sedan is about due for replacement, has 180K kms some dings and dents and runs fine, i just get bored with the same car after 7-8 years, would have bought a new Yaris sedan but it seems Toyota has dropped the sedan version and gives us only the Hatch option.Not sure what my next vehicle will be but it wont be a Yaris hatchback. but probably will be a Toyota.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:52 PM   #3
428CobraJet

Drives: '09 Yaris 3dr, 13 F150rcsb 5.0
There is alot to be said for the Mighty Yaris.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:26 AM   #4
ctsround3
YARLY!

Drives: 2009 Carmine Red 3-door Yaris
What is it about the Yaris

There is indeed a lot to be said about the Yaris. Although I'm a new owner, I've always had a love for them.

I was first introduced to a 2008 3-door a few years back at the dealership where I work(ed). I had the opportunity to drive it as a demo and couldn't pass it up. It was peppy, nimble, amazing on fuel and despite its "econo-box" platform, it kept my attention for many years.

As I ended my job with said dealership last month I was forced to hand over the perks of a company car and therefore find new transportation.

It was a no-brainier to me so I started Yaris hunting. After a few long weeks, I found my Yari (2009 3-door hatch) much like the one I drove years back but with a few more options).

So after about a month of ownership she has transformed into quite the enjoyable daily driver

ctsround3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:01 AM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Theres not a car out there which can replace my Yaris for utility, mpg, price, and reliability.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:30 AM   #6
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I liked my 3DR so much that I bought a sedan for the wife. I'm also circling like a vulture over the 2 or 3 other Yarii here at work, with an eye for acquiring them when they move on to another vehicle. Some of them would go to the kids as starter vehicles, others I'd like to convert to dedicated track/race cars.

I can't say exactly what it is that has me hooked on them, aside from the traditional reasons people buy a Toyota. I frequently think to myself that the 2nd gen HB isn't particularly attractive/sporty/quiet/well-equipped, but every time I drive another vehicle I'm always happy to get back in mine.

While the Yaris itself won't be around forever, I don't see Toyota making a radical departure from offering a reliable, inexpensive sub-compact in the US any time soon. I'm actually looking forward to the Auris replacing the Matrix/Corolla HB in the next few years, too!
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:21 PM   #7
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
I was first hooked on Yaris when those commercials with the pink piggy bank were first aired (I have a couple of them). Something about the styling just "called" to me. Actually, it screamed. Unfortunately, I had just bought my mom's 2005 Accord (even though I don't like Hondas) to take it off her hands because she bought a new Camry. So I couldn't justify buying a Yaris. In October 2010, looking for the slightest excuse to dump the Accord (I don't like Hondas), it developed a problem with the ignition switch which the dealer could not fix so I sold it to a co-worker who happened to be looking for a project car. Relief (did I mention I don't like Hondas?). So I bought a 2011 3-door. I did shop around a bit but could not get the Yaris out of my mind so, I bought it based solely on its styling. But I've come to love everything about it, especially those in-dash cup holders! After four years and 120,000miles I still love it and plan to keep it forever.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:42 PM   #8
Ranger SVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaristeve View Post
But I've come to love everything about it, especially those in-dash cup holders! After four years and 120,000 miles I still love it
Coolest cup holders ever, literally. Who ever thought to put a cup holder in front of an AC vent is brilliant. A 100-degree day, a cold drink in the cup holder will still be cold when you get home.

Brilliant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Theres not a car out there which can replace my Yaris for utility, mpg, price, and reliability.
Agreed and I think its just plain cool.

A little strange, I have a 1993 Ford Ranger and a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. My Wife has a 2012 Honda Civic EX and yet both of use use the Yaris regularly. She already called dibs on it for Monday and Tuesday so I have to drive the Sonata to work those days.

Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.
Giordano Bruno
Old 01-03-2015, 10:40 AM   #9
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger SVO View Post
Coolest cup holders ever, literally. Who ever thought to put a cup holder in front of an AC vent is brilliant. A 100-degree day, a cold drink in the cup holder will still be cold when you get home.

Brilliant

Agreed and I think its just plain cool.

A little strange, I have a 1993 Ford Ranger and a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. My Wife has a 2012 Honda Civic EX and yet both of use use the Yaris regularly. She already called dibs on it for Monday and Tuesday so I have to drive the Sonata to work those days.
Love the two quotes at the bottom of your posts (not showing on your quote above). Re the first one, a friend I went on my first trip to Europe with embraces the spirit of that quote, and his enthusiasm shows when he discusses mathematics. At the time we traveled to Europe, my friend was getting his Masters. He later started his PhD, but found that particular program (in California) unsatisfying. He applied to the University of Maryland to continue to pursue a PhD in mathematics (which he eventually earned there). I remember speaking with him during the summer, after his first year in Maryland. He was raving about a particular professor, originally from Russia. That professor.....Sergey Brin's father. Sergey would have been a teenager at the time...well before Stanford, and Google.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:57 AM   #10
428CobraJet

Drives: '09 Yaris 3dr, 13 F150rcsb 5.0
I just retired. My 09 has 122000 miles. My plans were to replace it (after all i deserve a new car Right!). Well...im having to delay that....and im perfectly ok with it. The car is a ball...looks good. ..and drives just like it did that day in January of 09 when i picked it up. Fit and finish, switch gear, engine operation. The clutch engagement may have even gotten slightly better. If it wasn't for my fat self wearing the seat on ingress...and following too close making for chips on the hood...the age would be completely unnoticeable.
:-)
Old 01-03-2015, 11:53 AM   #11
Ranger SVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Love the two quotes at the bottom of your posts (not showing on your quote above). Re the first one, a friend I went on my first trip to Europe with embraces the spirit of that quote, and his enthusiasm shows when he discusses mathematics.
I earned my Bachelors in Mathematics in 2008 at the age of 48. My favorite professor was from Russia, Alexander Karabegov at Abilene Christian University.

Recently I decided to go back to school and earn my Masters, I will graduate this spring. Like your friend, I sincerely enjoy the subject. I also believe that pure mathematics is worthless unless it is applied in real world applications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428CobraJet View Post
I just retired. My 09 has 122000 miles. My plans were to replace it (after all i deserve a new car Right!). Well...im having to delay that....and im perfectly ok with it. The car is a ball...looks good. ..and drives just like it did that day in January of 09 when i picked it up. Fit and finish, switch gear, engine operation. The clutch engagement may have even gotten slightly better. If it wasn't for my fat self wearing the seat on ingress...and following too close making for chips on the hood...the age would be completely unnoticeable.
:-)
Mine has a lot less miles, but like yours, it drives just as good as the day I got it. I agree, it looks good.

Giordano Bruno
Old 01-03-2015, 11:57 AM   #12
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Thread hijack incoming!
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:32 PM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger SVO View Post
I earned my Bachelors in Mathematics in 2008 at the age of 48. My favorite professor was from Russia, Alexander Karabegov at Abilene Christian University.

Recently I decided to go back to school and earn my Masters, I will graduate this spring. Like your friend, I sincerely enjoy the subject. I also believe that pure mathematics is worthless unless it is applied in real world applications
Good for you. When I turned 21, my aunt (my mother's sister) gave me a copy of our lineage papers (commissioned by my great-great uncle in 1966) as a present. I remember reading that one member of the family, quite far back, had been the oldest student ever at Harvard....over age 90, IIRC. I remember (at age 21) taking from that....learning and the pursuit of knowledge is something that should be celebrated throughout one's lifetime. For some reason, I also remember two things my late father always used to say....'The Jesuits teach you how to think'....and 'They can take everything else away from you (and he died with nothing), but they can't take away your education' (meaning the knowledge derived from one's education).

My friend's dad was an Aerospace Engineer. My friend did some contract programming while he was getting his Masters, but I don't think he enjoyed that world. My friend tended to rebel against his dad, personally (his parents were divorced) and professionally...and toward the example of both grandfathers in academia (his parents met because both of his grandfathers were professors at the University of Idaho).

Last edited by nookandcrannycar; 01-03-2015 at 01:52 PM. Reason: added 2nd paragraph
Old 01-03-2015, 01:35 PM   #14
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Thread hijack incoming!
For some reason the above conjures up an image of the professor played by Stellan Skarsgard in the movie Good Will Hunting.

My friend mentioned above got his undergrad degree in Physics.

Last edited by nookandcrannycar; 01-03-2015 at 01:53 PM. Reason: added 2nd paragraph
Old 01-03-2015, 01:50 PM   #15
nookandcrannycar

Point taken from post #12.

If I ever come across a low-mileage 2nd Gen MT 3-door (likely in White), with the split rear seat/integrated rear headrests, in great condition, I'll probably snap it up.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:09 AM   #16
John Lenin

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris 3-Dr HB Auto
I originally came to the Yaris from having owned a couple of 2005 Echos, which were pretty much flawless little run-abouts. Bought a 2008 3DR Yaris with a 5-spd manual and loved that car ... a broken left leg last Autumn saw me trade the '08 for an identical 2009 Yaris 3DR, but with an automatic ... still love the Yaris and the rear wiper, power mirrors and split rear seat of the '09 are bonus!
John Lenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:02 AM   #17
dj92
Embracing Curves

Drives: '14 Prius Executive
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lenin View Post
still love the Yaris and the rear wiper [...] are bonus!
Dafuq, do you mean it was sold without the rear wiper before?
Old 01-06-2015, 12:09 PM   #18
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Previous to having my 2007 Yaris, I had a 2005 xB. However, it was on its third clutch (with 36,000 miles on it). I was getting fed up with it. The Yaris had just come out and I loved the hatchback version. I traded in my little box for the Yaris and haven't looked back since.

FYI, I've owned the Yaris longer than any other vehicle; it'll be eight years in August. Prior to that, I'd never kept a car longer than two years. I'm 36. :)

If my Yaris blew up tomorrow, I would consider a new one, although I'm not 100% sure it's what I'd end up with. When I reviewed the 2012 Yaris SE with a manual, I loved it. It was everything I liked about my '07 but without much of the stuff I didn't care for. I'd still rock one.

My Yaris has been a great car, however. I did have the clutch go out at 23,000 miles or so, but it was covered under warranty and I had the TRD clutch put in. I'm at 78,000 miles now without any major issues.

Even though I also have a 2013 WRX, I still enjoy driving the Yaris. It's a lot of fun and still looks great. It's also wonderful to get 38 MPG. :)
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote