Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-26-2014, 03:14 PM   #1
MickZEL

Drives: Yaris sedan
What do you think about Russia and the Crimea. Interested in your opinion.

Everyone has an opinion is interesting that you say about these events, and chtovy think for yourself.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:31 PM   #2
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
I think the idea is more: if putin would take over one small area, what's to keep him from taking over other areas bordering russia (or even further).

I think it has more to do with the principle of the matter than what has actually happened. the assumption in the us is that the "vote" in crimea was biased at best and totally staged worst case.

Not starting a flame war or anything, just stating the perception as i see it.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:44 PM   #3
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
BEEF said it all pretty much. Give 'em an inch and they want/take a mile -
It's the principle of it all. Will Putin lose it & become another Hitler? Probably not, but look what happened with that situation. People say he/Russia wants a warm water port? Isn't there land in Russia already bordering the Black Sea? (from memory here...) This is all beyond the average citizen, in ANY country right now.
Politicians in the US are peeved because of this, and how many countries have we invaded or occupied lately?
Russia has been of interest to me lately over the years.
The Moscow Skyline is looking pretty awesome.
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:00 PM   #4
MickZEL

Drives: Yaris sedan
If you know the Crimea was Russian territory since 1783.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:26 PM   #5
nortonfb

Drives: 2007
'If you know the Crimea was Russian territory since 1783'

I really don't think politics belongs on here, just me.
Steve
nortonfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:01 PM   #6
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
the vote in Crimea was far more honest than the last few American elections, which are basically completely rigged at this point.

It is about time America starts paying attention to America, which is bankrupt and falling apart and the economy is terrible. Let the rest of the world do whatever it wants, at the rate we are going we aren't going to be able to take care of ourselves in a few years.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:21 PM   #7
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
the vote in Crimea was far more honest than the last few American elections, which are basically completely rigged at this point.

It is about time America starts paying attention to America, which is bankrupt and falling apart and the economy is terrible. Let the rest of the world do whatever it wants, at the rate we are going we aren't going to be able to take care of ourselves in a few years.
Hear...hear...this country is definitely doomed on the path we're going down. With all the $$$ we've spent all over the world (for what?) We could have an entirely new infrastructure, energy grid & a booming economy putting folks to work. I say let the world do what it wants, also. We can always keep it in check with a few warheads if need be.
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:22 PM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by yougojay View Post
new infrastructure
.....or at least repaired. That's what we were told Obama's stimulus package was supposed to go toward....what a joke...largely went to benefit unions.

Quote:
energy grid
What a mess. I'm glad Texas has its own grid.

Quote:
booming economy putting folks to work
Cutting Taxes, approving the Keystone Pipeline, removing the restrictions on leases for drilling on federal lands, and creating a less burdensome regulatory environment would accomplish this without costing the government anything. During a debate with Mrs. "What difference, at this point, does it make" while striving to get the Dem. nomination for POTUS in 2008, Obama stopped trying to assert that increasing taxes was going to result in increased revenues to the federal government (he was losing to the person questioning him), and said that he would increase taxes out of a sense of fairness .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:08 PM   #9
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
With all the $$$ we've spent all over the world (for what?)
I guess it depends on whether or not you think there is evil in the world or not. If you don't, and thus think everyone can be reasoned with in every, or almost every, situation (as many believe Obama and Mrs. "What difference, at this point, does it make" do), then you might think it is all a waste.

I despise Cheney (and am no fan of Bush), but unfortunately I think he's right. Intentionally reducing our might beyond a certain point leaves a power void that won't stay vacated and result in peace, it will be filled by another far less altruistic power. Unfortunately (not because why? is saying it, but because we are in the position we're in), I think why? is correct with most of his points. I agree, sadly, that the election in Crimea was more honest than at least the last election here in 2012. The point may have passed where we can be the 'best hope' power that we've been in the past. As why? implies, if we don't concentrate on our own well being, we won't be able to take care of ourselves in a few years. Economically, we are starting to look a bit like Japan. IMO, we should avoid that road if we can. For us, that road would end sooner with a darker outcome as we, among other reasons, aren't as proficient savers as the Japanese. We need to find a sweet spot where we are staying strong enough, but spending the least to do that. The resulting 'savings', even if minute, needs to be used in the most judicious manner possible. We who don't have positions of power in government or 'own' positions of power (and thus don't know more of 'the cards') can pretty much just hope.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:52 PM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
BEEF said it all pretty much. Give 'em an inch and they want/take a mile -
It's the principle of it all. Will Putin lose it & become another Hitler? Probably not, but look what happened with that situation. People say he/Russia wants a warm water port? Isn't there land in Russia already bordering the Black Sea? (from memory here...) This is all beyond the average citizen, in ANY country right now.
Politicians in the US are peeved because of this, and how many countries have we invaded or occupied lately?
Russia has been of interest to me lately over the years.
The Moscow Skyline is looking pretty awesome.
One of my best friends was married to a Russian woman for a few years. I attended the wedding. They were married in a Russian Orthodox church in the United States. I found the whole process quite interesting. We were both members of a folk dancing group. My friend (and some others, but not I) was also a member of a Russian folk dancing group. Another friend of mine (a native Korean who was raised in the U.S.) works for the U.S. Department of State, and has had multiple assignments there during his career (including Vladivostok and Moscow). My folk dancing friend's ex mother-in-law used to work for the Russian equivalent. I was having a conversation with her (in the U.S.) and mentioned my other friend. I stated his height (unusual), his country of birth/original nationality, and that he worked for the U.S. Department of State. Before I could say his name, SHE DID! She had had dealings with him. Small world.

Needless to say, I share your interest. I want to visit (I've been to some former Eastern Bloc countries), but I'll wait. If I could convince my friend the folk dancing nut to go with me I'd go whenever allowed and when he'd want to go (he speaks Russian pretty well).
Old 03-27-2014, 01:41 AM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
I think it's mostly about the naval base in Crimea . Not sure if there are gas pipelines that pass through Ukraine to supply Europe . If so , that's likely another reason . This scenario is somewhat similar to Germany hosting the Olympics and what followed . Hopefully that's not the case . I think my remembering history is correct .
IIRC, Germany is currently getting 30% or more of it's natural gas (mainly for heating) from Russia. If we (the U.S.) were producing at our potential, that would ease Germany's position, and might remove that chess piece Putin has on the board.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:42 AM   #12
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Yes, a vast majority of Europe's oil is supplied through pipelines that run directly through Ukraine.

Russia really does need to make sure the little money it has coming in is guarded from terrorists. And Putin means it when he says he'll start using nukes if the terrorists attack.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:03 AM   #13
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
The new gov't in Ukraine could / could've possibly use extortion of Russia for the pipelines and the naval base or both . Maybe that has / had crossed the minds in Russia . I see Putin as the nuclear Napoleon . Difference is him being shirtless on a horse . Pleeeeeeeease . Got to get that image out of my head .

Last edited by Hershey; 03-27-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:53 PM   #14
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
To me the whole thing with Ukraine is the same as Czechoslovakia in 1937 with Hitler. Putin wont stop until he has Ukraine, Poland, Latvia, and every country once in the Soviet orbit back in the Russian orbit. He knows we wont go to war over it, as Hitler knew England and France wouldnt go to war over Czechoslovakia.

Much is made of Russias economic weakness. Obama says Russia is not playing from strength. Neither was Hitler. If we play the economic card with Putin he will do what Hitler did. Blame the result economic chaos on the Untied States and stir up Russians against Europe and the US. This plays right into his hands.

There is only one way to stop Putin as there was only one way to stop Hitler.

Kill him.

Put a $10 million price on his head.

Incidentally the Chinese are doing the same thing. They claim to own the ocean up to the shores of Vietnam, the Philippines etc. The only way to stop them is kill them too.

Oh and BTW did you see there a petition in the Alaska senate with 30,000 signatures to secede Alaska to Russia?

Wonder where that came from...
Old 03-27-2014, 12:56 PM   #15
bronsin

Did you know the President of the New England Patriots showed his Super Bowl to Putin at a party. Putin put it in his pocket and walked away.

The man is the head of Russia and he is a criminal.

That says it all.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:07 PM   #16
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Yes, a vast majority of Europe's oil is supplied through pipelines that run directly through Ukraine.

Russia really does need to make sure the little money it has coming in is guarded from terrorists. And Putin means it when he says he'll start using nukes if the terrorists attack.
Yep.....and that people know he means it translates to a certain amount of credibility. I think Obama has a distorted view of what gives him (Obama) credibility and he has less than he thinks he does. His buddy Soros has said that Obama is the most arrogant person he's ever known in his life. Considering how arrogant Soros is, I think that speaks volumes. Among other input, a few months ago I had an hours long conversation with a young American woman who had just spent a year (as a student) at a business school in Germany. I asked her what is the general opinion people there have of Obama. She told me they think he is a joke.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:14 PM   #17
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I asked her what is the general opinion people there have of Obama. She told me they think he is a joke.
Im not so sure although I dont think he's doing whats necessary to stand up to Putin.

He applied sanctions to Iran and got them to the bargaining table. Of course, theres no way they will stop building nukes. If Obama thinks they will, then yes he is a joke.

But if he keeps the Iranians feet to the fire then he did the right thing.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:13 PM   #18
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
To me the whole thing with Ukraine is the same as Czechoslovakia in 1937 with Hitler. Putin wont stop until he has Ukraine, Poland, Latvia, and every country once in the Soviet orbit back in the Russian orbit. He knows we wont go to war over it, as Hitler knew England and France wouldnt go to war over Czechoslovakia.

Much is made of Russias economic weakness. Obama says Russia is not playing from strength. Neither was Hitler. If we play the economic card with Putin he will do what Hitler did. Blame the result economic chaos on the Untied States and stir up Russians against Europe and the US. This plays right into his hands.

There is only one way to stop Putin as there was only one way to stop Hitler.

Kill him.

Put a $10 million price on his head.

Incidentally the Chinese are doing the same thing. They claim to own the ocean up to the shores of Vietnam, the Philippines etc. The only way to stop them is kill them too.

Oh and BTW did you see there a petition in the Alaska senate with 30,000 signatures to secede Alaska to Russia?

Wonder where that came from...
Soros initially backed Hillary in 2008 (I hate to use her name...prefering to call her Mrs. "What difference, at this point, does it make" because that statement alone shows enough contempt and disrespect for the U.S. Military that she shouldn't be POTUS re that statement alone...and I'm not the only one who feels that way), but then called Obama to a private meeting at his office. After that meeting, Soros switched his support to Obama. Soros' father touted Esperanto, and wanted that to be the one world language. Let's just say his son has similar proclivities. It could be argued that Obama is sympathetic to these views. Obama either doesn't understand the concept of American Exceptionalism (not that we are a superior people or should show strength without reason, but that our VALUES (freedom, liberty, etc....which can be embraced by anyone) are superior), which I don't think is the case......or he doesn't think American values are exceptional (which I do think is the case). When asked about American Exceptionalism, Obama replied with a list of other counties and how their citizens feel about their own countries ....a passive agressive way of saying that he doesn't believe in American Exceptionalism, IMO. Obama has also openly admired how well the Chinese government controls the Chinese citizenry . I think Obama and Soros are both trying to prove SOMETHING (????) and expand, in each case, on a fathers' MUCH less successful legacy.

We have some exceptionally bright young people in this country, but we also have many mushy idiots of many different ages who can't name the three branches of government. Last year a reporter visited the campus of a WELL RESPECTED university IN WASHINGTON D.C. The students were asked the name of the U.S. Secretary of State, and were also asked if they know what twerking is (think Miley Cyrus). Not one single student could give the correct answer (John Kerry), or even the previous office holder (Mrs. Clinton). However, EVERY SINGLE STUDENT could correctly identify twerking . Within the last week, a different reporter visited The American University (also IN WASHINGTON D.C.). Students were asked to identify ONE sitting U.S. Senator, and to name the theme song from the movie Frozen. Only two of many students could name one senator, yet EVERY STUDENT could name the theme song from the movie Frozen . During those same interviews at The American University, students were also asked how many Senators each state has...and only one student gave the correct answer of 2 . One student answered 13....(right...we give each state a senator for each original colony ). I put IN WASHINGTON D.C. in caps because I think it is particularly sad that students there (the cradle of our federal government!) are so oblivious.