Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-15-2015, 06:04 PM   #1
MoneyT8

Drives: White Yaris Sedan
Install aftermarket head unit with screen?

Hello, I'm seriously considering an aftermarket head unit for my 07 Yaris. The one I'm looking is the Boss BV9979B InDash receiver Single-din with a 7inch screen. How hard would it be to install this unit? As you know the current Yaris units have major issues with reading CD's and such. Should I get it professional installed? Thanks everyone.
MoneyT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:47 AM   #2
Yariee

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan
I see that unit for $169 at Sonix Electronics with FREE Installation Mounting Kit and Wiring Harness plus free shipping. The install is easy but do yourself a favor and replace the factory speakers as well.

-Scott
Yariee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:54 AM   #3
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Why go for a single DIN unit with an extendable screen? Why not for a double DIN one? That would look a whole lot better.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:47 PM   #4
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Actually, do you really want an in-dash screen?

You could pick up a Pioneer Scion FR-S headunit for 100$ and call it a day? I'm sure that's better quality than a Boss headunit.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:03 PM   #5
MoneyT8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
Why go for a single DIN unit with an extendable screen? Why not for a double DIN one? That would look a whole lot better.
Honestly, I'm not too sure if it needs single din or double din. What is the factory default?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
Actually, do you really want an in-dash screen?

You could pick up a Pioneer Scion FR-S headunit for 100$ and call it a day? I'm sure that's better quality than a Boss headunit.
I'm also looking at few others like the Power Acoustic's. I didn't know you can use a FRS headunit.

Have you guys upgraded your headunits? Thanks.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:32 AM   #6
Kar98

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyT8 View Post
Honestly, I'm not too sure if it needs single din or double din. What is the factory default?
Double DIN height, but 20mm wider. So you'd need either the spacers to fill the holes on the side, or a different radio surround bezel.

Quote:
I'm also looking at few others like the Power Acoustic's. I didn't know you can use a FRS headunit.
Yeah, or from a xB or xD, or a Corolla...

Quote:
Have you guys upgraded your headunits? Thanks.
Oh yeah.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:23 PM   #7
IllusionX

Install aftermarket head unit with screen?

I said FRS because their pioneer unit is nicer than the other Scion ones since they are only available as a newer model.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:10 PM   #8
Kar98

The current Yaris models also have a nice touch screen radio with all the trimmings except navigation.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:25 PM   #9
IllusionX

But it's not pioneer.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:43 PM   #10
ucsmfu

Drives: yaris le
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
But it's not pioneer.
the head unit above is made by Pioneer
ucsmfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:05 PM   #11
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
For $30 more you can get an indash Pioneer. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...VH-170DVD.html

I'm all for bargain hunting and shopping on a budget, But the quality with boss is sub par.
You also have to take into consideration that when the 7 inch screen opens up it will most likely cover your AC vents.

Another thing also is majority of screens activate when your parking/hand brake is on. Yes there is ways to bypass this which i will not post here but they do it for safety reasons.

Just a few things to consider....I'd also go into Google and research Boss. Simply type in " Boss Reviews"

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:58 PM   #12
MoneyT8

Quote:
Originally Posted by _S7V7N_ View Post
For $30 more you can get an indash Pioneer. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...VH-170DVD.html

I'm all for bargain hunting and shopping on a budget, But the quality with boss is sub par.
You also have to take into consideration that when the 7 inch screen opens up it will most likely cover your AC vents.

Another thing also is majority of screens activate when your parking/hand brake is on. Yes there is ways to bypass this which i will not post here but they do it for safety reasons.

Just a few things to consider....I'd also go into Google and research Boss. Simply type in " Boss Reviews"
I've been looking at the Pioneer AVH-X3600BHS from Crutchfield. Also I don't necessarily want to upgrade my speakers nor add an amp but wondering if I should. I'm probably going to install this myself. Thanks.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:53 PM   #13
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-X3600BHS.html

If you're on a Budget there's one about 20 bucks cheaper.

Do you absolutely need to replace your factory speakers. No
Do I recommend replacing your factory speakers. Yes

If this is your first time doing car audio it would probably be better to leave your factory speakers in so you can learn about distortion and how to tune your Stereo so when you get aftermarket ones you know what's going on and won't ruin them.

I don't want to get too technical just yet until you feel you're ready to learn, or want to learn. I tried giving information before and it was overwhelming for the individual.

To run off the Pioneer head units Limited power (17 watts RMS) Here's a few speakers that would work. If you run an amp you can go with a wider variety of speakers. We also usually recommend using component speakers but i don't know what your preference is in music and if you just want your new system to sound better than what you have or to that next level. the speakers listed are coaxial speakers.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_m...-speakers.html

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3

Last edited by _S7V7N_; 02-25-2015 at 05:17 PM.
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote