Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-29-2016, 03:58 PM   #1
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
Passenger airbag recall/disable airbag?

So it's looking like my 2009 sedan may be affected by the passenger airbag recall. I haven't got any official papers for it but I checked my VIN online and it came up. I'm not sure what all is involved in replacing that airbag, but if they have to pull the dash out frankly I'd rather just disable the airbag and not worry about it rather than risk some dealership breaking my boost gauges and all the other custom stuff I've done to my dash. I know there used to be a device on MI that could disable the airbag and it seems like the passenger seatbelt warning as well. Since MI isn't around anymore, is there another source for these? Some instructions to DIY one anywhere?

Thanks guys.

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:29 PM   #2
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I checked my vin recently using one of the links provided in one of the other threads about this and came up on it as well. Thought it was strange that CA was listed as one of the red/priority states. Not sure if that's more about high humidity heat, or number of influential individuals in this state. In any case, I'm hoping for a fix soon. Working from home, I usually only drive my car for going places with my gal, but now we take her car so my car sees very little road time. Bums me out because I enjoy driving my car.

Like you, I haven't received any official paperwork. Unlike you, I wouldn't want a third party or DIY disable device. My mild OCD would still focus on the potential frag grenade behind the dash. I want that thing out ASAP.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:25 PM   #3
47_MasoN_47

I'm just irritated at this garbage in general. I finally got the last 3 recalls done on my car just for another one to come out. Mark that down as another reason I'm never going to buy anything else made after 1990.

Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
Old 06-29-2016, 08:46 PM   #4
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_MasoN_47 View Post
I'm just irritated at this garbage in general. I finally got the last 3 recalls done on my car just for another one to come out. Mark that down as another reason I'm never going to buy anything else made after 1990.
No kidding, eh? Super annoying and from what I understand, they're still installing them in cars today. Total garbage.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:49 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
So it's looking like my 2009 sedan may be affected by the passenger airbag recall. I haven't got any official papers for it but I checked my VIN online and it came up. I'm not sure what all is involved in replacing that airbag, but if they have to pull the dash out frankly I'd rather just disable the airbag and not worry about it rather than risk some dealership breaking my boost gauges and all the other custom stuff I've done to my dash. I know there used to be a device on MI that could disable the airbag and it seems like the passenger seatbelt warning as well. Since MI isn't around anymore, is there another source for these? Some instructions to DIY one anywhere?

Thanks guys.
That would be the occupant classification sensor bypass module that I developed and sold through them. It allows you to have a switch to choose to arm or disarm the passenger airbag. I developed it for various Toyota vehicles to allow people to run race seats and still have the airbag system stay happy.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:15 PM   #6
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
That would be the occupant classification sensor bypass module that I developed and sold through them. It allows you to have a switch to choose to arm or disarm the passenger airbag. I developed it for various Toyota vehicles to allow people to run race seats and still have the airbag system stay happy.
Knowing you made it, and not some fly by night third party company, does make me feel better about it, but I'd still rather get the pos airbag out of my car.

Out of curiosity, are you still making/selling that module?
Old 07-18-2016, 10:36 PM   #7
Capt

Drives: 2009 Yaris sedan
I have a 2009 Yaris in South Florida, like most of us I need to use my car. So I want this dangerous airbag disabled or removed.
I believe that disabling it will be an open door for insurance companies to refuse any claims filed by the occupant leaving the owner of the vehicle liable for injuries.
T is trying to limit their liability by telling owners that no one should ride in the passenger seat.

??Anyone know what the legal ramifications are for disabling the airbag.??
Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:34 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt View Post
I have a 2009 Yaris in South Florida, like most of us I need to use my car. So I want this dangerous airbag disabled or removed.
I believe that disabling it will be an open door for insurance companies to refuse any claims filed by the occupant leaving the owner of the vehicle liable for injuries.
T is trying to limit their liability by telling owners that no one should ride in the passenger seat.

??Anyone know what the legal ramifications are for disabling the airbag.??
It is illegal for a vehicle repair shop, reseller, etc. to disable airbags (and they can be fined severly for doing so), but an individual can disable them on their own car. There are also regulations for cases where they can be disabled:

http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shop...tivation+FAQ#1
Old 09-05-2016, 08:56 AM   #9
Mharr
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2005
So is the passenger airbag bypass plug still available anywhere, or at least a circuit diagram? I've just joined the ranks of super-impressed Toyota customers with a possible IED dashboard, and apparently UK models don't have an off switch either.
Mharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:48 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mharr View Post
So is the passenger airbag bypass plug still available anywhere, or at least a circuit diagram? I've just joined the ranks of super-impressed Toyota customers with a possible IED dashboard, and apparently UK models don't have an off switch either.
I don't have all of the wiring diagrams for the MK1 European Yaris, and the MK2 ones have a different passenger occupancy detection system than our US ones do, but I believe on the MK1's that the passenger occupancy sensor is just a switch. This switch which feeds the info to the SRS ECU to determine if the airbag should fire in a crash.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:38 AM   #11
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
airbags

Quote:
I don't have all of the wiring diagrams for the MK1 European Yaris, and the MK2 ones have a different passenger occupancy detection system than our US ones do, but I believe on the MK1's that the passenger occupancy sensor is just a switch. This switch which feeds the info to the SRS ECU to determine if the airbag should fire in a crash.
Why does the 2007 Yaris beep for awhile and flash lights when I put something on the passenger seat?
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:38 AM   #12
dogsridewith

airbag

Can I unplug connector(s) and remove the passenger seat so the car still runs and drives?
Old 09-05-2016, 10:21 AM   #13
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
Can I unplug connector(s) and remove the passenger seat so the car still runs and drives?
No I dont think so. I used to r and r the pass seat in my ECHO without issue.

But that wont work in my 09 Yaris.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:35 PM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
If you unplug the connector, you will put the airbag system in an error state where none of your airbags will fire in a crash (including your driver's side ones).
Old 09-06-2016, 09:35 AM   #15
dogsridewith

Airbags

Quote:
If you unplug the connector, you will put the airbag system in an error state where none of your airbags will fire in a crash (including your driver's side ones).
So the Yaris with seat airbag connector unplugged will run and drive without a constant audible warning beep/alarm?
Old 11-06-2016, 10:36 AM   #16
47_MasoN_47

dkwilfert did they say what they had to do to replace it? Wondering if the whole dash has to be removed or if they can get to the airbag by removing the glove box or something.

Old 11-06-2016, 03:36 PM   #17
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
dkwilfert did they say what they had to do to replace it? Wondering if the whole dash has to be removed or if they can get to the airbag by removing the glove box or something.
The whole dash top has to be removed to change it.