Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-15-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
evilekhatch

Drives: 2010 Sedan Yaris
2010 yaris suspension advice???

got a 2010 sedan yaris, I'm trying to buy good/cheap suspension for it. what do you guys recommend? also, would springs/shocks from a 08/09 yaris work on the new one???? thanks
evilekhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
Trish

Drives: Yaris Sedan 07
Send a message via MSN to Trish
I suggest you to buy a set of coilovers. I've been through two (2) sets of coils, which were good on streets and to have a nice look, but I switched for coilovers and it's a completly different world! If I had knew, I would never had bought coils.

I first bought Apex coils, 1.3"....not enough drop.

Than, I bought Tanabe DF210 (I think lol) coils, 2". Nice drop, were good on streets and on track.

Now, I have a set of BC, type BR coilovers. This has nothing to do with coils. It is a whole different world! Much more stiffer, amazing to drive on track (a bit less on street due to the stiffness). The only think is, I had a few issues with mine...don't know if I was only unlucky or if that type of coilovers (made in USA) arent made for Canada winter, but two (2) of my shocks have blew. I got an amazing service from the shop and BC. Each time, they sent me a new shock within a week or so.

Since then, everything is going well (crossed fingers) and I really enjoy my ride. Without the problems I've been through, I would have say those coilovers are THE shit. But I suggest you do researches to make sure you will buy the right set of coilovers.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
evilekhatch

Drives: 2010 Sedan Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish View Post
I suggest you to buy a set of coilovers. I've been through two (2) sets of coils, which were good on streets and to have a nice look, but I switched for coilovers and it's a completly different world! If I had knew, I would never had bought coils.

I first bought Apex coils, 1.3"....not enough drop.

Than, I bought Tanabe DF210 (I think lol) coils, 2". Nice drop, were good on streets and on track.

Now, I have a set of BC, type BR coilovers. This has nothing to do with coils. It is a whole different world! Much more stiffer, amazing to drive on track (a bit less on street due to the stiffness). The only think is, I had a few issues with mine...don't know if I was only unlucky or if that type of coilovers (made in USA) arent made for Canada winter, but two (2) of my shocks have blew. I got an amazing service from the shop and BC. Each time, they sent me a new shock within a week or so.

Since then, everything is going well (crossed fingers) and I really enjoy my ride. Without the problems I've been through, I would have say those coilovers are THE shit. But I suggest you do researches to make sure you will buy the right set of coilovers.
thanks man, that sounds cool. I think I'm really going for the 2" drop though... I like my car lowered lol. now the thing is after those 2" drop, am I gonna have camber problems? like would they mess up my alignment? would the tires be tucked inside the fender???? Cause I really dont wanna have to be replacing tires cause the inside is worn out due to the angle of the wheels.... Do you understand what im trying to ask??? lol
evilekhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:43 AM   #4
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
I'm not sure 'good/cheap suspension' and 'coilovers' can belong in the same discussion.

I'm thrilled with the look and performance of the TRD package set-up. The -1.3" advertised drop actually comes closer to -1.75" once the springs are seasoned in. My sedan handles like it's on rails and with tolerable ride comfort sacrifice family trips are not an issue.
You can save more money by piecemealing together some Tokico Blues with any number of aftermarket spring sets and rear anti-sway bars. But that said, trial and error can also become pricey over the long run.
You're sure to get plenty of suggestions here.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:56 AM   #5
Trish

Drives: Yaris Sedan 07
Send a message via MSN to Trish
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilekhatch View Post
thanks man, that sounds cool. I think I'm really going for the 2" drop though... I like my car lowered lol. now the thing is after those 2" drop, am I gonna have camber problems? like would they mess up my alignment? would the tires be tucked inside the fender???? Cause I really dont wanna have to be replacing tires cause the inside is worn out due to the angle of the wheels.... Do you understand what im trying to ask??? lol
I used to run on 17" and a 2" drop without any problem. No fender rolling, no friction.

I had more problems with my coilovers, which were lower than my coils :p

Regarding the camber/alignment, sure it is preferable you do a good alignment after puting your coils or coilovers. As for the camber, I do not put any camber on mine, and if I do so, it will not make a huge diffrence.

As for the TEIN, they are great I think. Why I didn't buy them instead of BC? Only because they are too overpriced here (Canada). My BC costs $1300 txs in, and the TEIN would have cost $2000 + txs.....I think I could have much more better coilovers for that price (depending on what you are looking for. I personally don't care if my car isn't comfortable, I want it to be stiff and to perform on track).

If I could go back, I would have gone with my fisrt option which was to built a custom suspension with a Quebec company named SELEX, which was 1500$ txs in. Could have been a good compromise between TEIN and BC....