Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-22-2011, 09:29 PM   #1
quaffle

Drives: 20063Dr Hatchback 1.0 VVT-i T3
Crashed my Yaris - Few Questions

Hello everyone. Firstly, just want to say this forum is a brilliant resource. Only just discovered it and joined but already been browsing a lot of the guides and finding them greatly informative.

Anyway, the other month I sped down an extremely steep hill. Didn't see a sharp left hand bend, slammed on the brakes and turned. Under-steered right into some trees. When I say trees, I don't mean like massive great old oaks with massive trunks. They were very spindly and more like a bush. Yaris did a great job of protecting me as the driver. None of the air bags fired but I didn't really feel a thing on impact. Front of the car was ruined though. Lights popped out and strewn all over the place. Radiator bent backwards towards the engine.

Car was towed away to local garage in town and I got on the phone with my insurer. I thought it might be a write off but they gave the go ahead for a repair. It's been a few weeks now and I should get it back any day.

My question is - will I notice a difference when I get it back, in terms of handling and power? Also, how have I effected the worth of my vehicle? I feel really bad about crashing it, I considered myself a reasonable driver until now and this has made me doubt myself. Worst thing about it all is that I'm not actually the owner of the car. I'm 19, just insured on it and it belongs to my parents. Feel like a total idiot.

Cheers guys.
quaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:44 PM   #2
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
Handling and power.. likely no. Unless the engine was damaged in some way there should be nothing wrong with the performance. The worth of the vehicle however has definitely gone down. Any kind of body damage is usually a red flag to most buyers, since a body shop can't return the body to the exact shape it was fresh off the line. So, as a result, there are worries that the body is distorted making it less stable/strong etc. But those are just worries, most of the time body shops do a perfectly fine job, and seeing as the car won't be reaching mach speeds where precision is necessary, it should be fine.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #3
DMZ

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
I am not sure about laws in the UK, but in most US States, damage that results in a significant insurance claim will result in a branded title. Branded titles do reduce the value of the vehicle.

I find it hard to believe that the airbags failed to deploy if the impact was hard enough to pop out the lights and bend the radiator.
DMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:24 PM   #4
carnageehw

Drives: 2010 Fusion Hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by quaffle View Post
H
My question is - will I notice a difference when I get it back, in terms of handling and power? Also, how have I effected the worth of my vehicle? I feel really bad about crashing it, I considered myself a reasonable driver until now and this has made me doubt myself. Worst thing about it all is that I'm not actually the owner of the car. I'm 19, just insured on it and it belongs to my parents. Feel like a total idiot.

Cheers guys.
You shouldn't notice a huge difference in how the car performs.

I do think you hurt the resale. It went through insurance and will likely be able to be found on a carfax report. A front end crash seems especially bad. I might buy a car that was rear ended, but there's a lot more important things in the front.

Anyway, as a driving instructor, I see a lot of young people (I'm only 28) who THINK they are better than they are. You made a mistake (a stupid one at that :) ) but I can you that if you have the right attitude about it, understand what you did wrong and not make excuses, you will become a better driver. It doesn't seem like you think "Oh, no big deal", or "stupid car didn't turn right", so you should be on the right track.
carnageehw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
quaffle

Drives: 20063Dr Hatchback 1.0 VVT-i T3
Thanks for the responses guys.

Got it back today. I don't think the engine was damaged in anyway as far as I can tell. The car certainly seems higher than it was originally but I think I'm imagining this? The rear wheel arches just seem so far away from the wheels. Must be my mind, right?

I did notice that the front splitter thing on the bumper is missing:

It was definitely there before the crash.There is now just an exposed bit of metal. Have the garage simply forgotten to install this piece? What can I do about it?

One other last question too. The new radiator that has been installed, will it be an official OEM model from Toyota themselves?

Also, the water pumps just gone on it since getting it back pretty much. Could this have been related to the incident or just bad luck that it's chosen to fail right now. I mean, it is a serviceable item that needs to be replaced every now and again? Is that correct. Car has done just over 60,000 miles.

Thanks guys and sorry for all the questions. Just so you don't get the wrong idea, I plan to work 2 jobs (one daytime, one evening time such as bar work) and pay my parents compensation for what I've done. £2,000 should cover the loss of value to the vehicle I've brought about, yes?

Cheers.
quaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:50 PM   #6
BLH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
There are threads in the Maintenance Section on water pumps.
Mine, on a 2007, let go at 14,600 mi. Slow spray from the seal area.
So did the crash damage the water pump. Maybe difficult to say.

You would have to ask the repair shop if they used a genuine Toyota Radiator or maybe you can look at it for a Toyota Part Number on it.
BLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:20 PM   #7
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
Aww I miss England. You anywhere near Cornwall? Sorry I don't really have any useful input. Except to say the roads over there are all kinds of twisty and narrow (and usually wet) so I totally understand having misjudged a tad. I was in so many wrecks when I lived over there. And I don't say that like it's a good thing. But obviously, the conditions aren't the best. Hedgerows, hills, out of nowhere bottlenecks... it's no wonder the driving laws are so strict over there.

I crush you like tiny clown car, because you are clown, yes?
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:45 PM   #8
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Drives: 2010 5-Dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by quaffle View Post
I did notice that the front splitter thing on the bumper is missing:

It was definitely there before the crash.There is now just an exposed bit of metal. Have the garage simply forgotten to install this piece? What can I do about it?
I would ask the repair shop to order that missing part for you -- that front lip is an optional part that can be ordered from Toyota..

Ask/pm meteorite marty for info about part no., etc. -- See this post for info http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=10

My Garage.. 'Mild' Drop & Misc..2-DIN GPS/Navi..DIY:Rear Wiper Delay..Ramps/Roll-Ups..Rain Sensing Wipers / Auto-Headlamps
toy_toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:47 AM   #9
BluYrs
ヴィッツ ドライバー

Drives: 2006 3d 1.0 Linea Sol
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy_toronto View Post
that front lip is an optional part that can be ordered from Toyota..
Standard on all Yarii here in the EU though.

Definitely get it re-installed because even though it's not hard to install it yourself, the bits needed for it (screws, special clamps) and the thing itself is bound to cost some £££.

As for the rear sitting high- it could just be that the car was left up on a hydraulic lift so the rear springs were stretched out (front wheels prolly removed, so less strain on front springs).

As for the quality of work, not much to de done there, but I'd check the alignment of the front wheels (affects handling) and visually check the engine compartment (all bolts&screws there, hoses tightened).

The blue one
BluYrs is offline   Reply With Quote