Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-09-2021, 05:26 PM   #1
jonny77

Drives: 2009 YarisS
2009 Yaris engine swap

I've got a 2009 Yaris that I want to cram a 1999 1ZZ not VVTI engine in and I need a manual transmission that will fit the engine and hopefully the mounts. I see the C54 was the yaris manual, but the C59 is the Corolla manual that fits my engine. I believe the axle splines are the same, but I'm wondering what I'm not seeing here?
jonny77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 08:33 PM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
The gearbox input shaft spline is common to almost all of the Toyota transaxles. The axle splines of the Yaris probably aren't compatible but you might be able to use Scion xD axles since they use a larger differential.

The bigger issue is that the 1ZZ requires an awful lot of fabrication to make it fit. The engine mounts are different, the ECU doesn't have the same connectors, the intake and exhaust manifolds are different, etc. etc. It's been done but you'd be blazing the trail yourself at this point.

The 2ZR is about as simple as it gets for a 1.8L swap, lots of well documented examples around here. Not as much aftermarket support as the 1ZZ/2ZZ engines but dead simple by comparison.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:03 PM   #3
jonny77

Drives: 2009 YarisS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
The gearbox input shaft spline is common to almost all of the Toyota transaxles. The axle splines of the Yaris probably aren't compatible but you might be able to use Scion xD axles since they use a larger differential.

The bigger issue is that the 1ZZ requires an awful lot of fabrication to make it fit. The engine mounts are different, the ECU doesn't have the same connectors, the intake and exhaust manifolds are different, etc. etc. It's been done but you'd be blazing the trail yourself at this point.

The 2ZR is about as simple as it gets for a 1.8L swap, lots of well documented examples around here. Not as much aftermarket support as the 1ZZ/2ZZ engines but dead simple by comparison.
I may just build this corolla into a race car and do the 2ZR swap into the Yaris later on or try to ring another 20HP out of the 1NZ-FE some way through injectors, throttle body and a Megasquirt. On the Corolla I can get cams for it easily or swap the head to the FED head and exhaust manifold. Trying to get ahead of next years race season.....Thx for talking me off the cliff on putting the 1ZZ in the Yaris.
jonny77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 07:10 AM   #4
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
The 1ZZ swap has been allegedly done in SE Asia (Malaysia? Phillipines?) but there's no documentation that I know of. I think there's way more potential in the 1ZZ but a lot more research will have to be done to make it work in the Yaris. I'm trying to reduce the wiring harnesses on my 2ZR sedan to the bare minimum and it's been dozens/over 100 hours of research and mapping and planning to get to this point (and it still doesn't work right).

If you know how to do wire harnesses and can machine/weld the brackets we would all love to see it and cheer you on! I've considered that once (if?) I get my sedan prepped for SCCA club racing and want to take it to the next level I will attempt a 2ZZ swap so I can compete with the Honda crowd on similar horsepower levels.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 09:02 PM   #5
mitch9521
Gen 3 > Gen 2

Drives: NCP131, F-150
All Yaris' use the C50 trans in the US and Canada. 2ZR-FE swap would be a much better and more feasible swap, but blazing new paths isn't a bad thing either if you're up for the challenge.

mitch9521 is offline   Reply With Quote