Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-23-2014, 08:26 AM   #1
vinooooo93

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2006 Sedan
Dashboard, tail light, and radio lights aren't working!

Hi all,

> I own a 2006 model
> For the past 2 -3 weeks, I have noticed that while driving at night, my dashboard, radio and gear control lights would randomly turn off. However, both headlights worked normally
> Today, I noticed that on start up, the dashboard, radio, as well as the tail lights were not working! (Both headlights still remain functioning normally, and brake lights work fine too)
> I checked the '10A TAIL' and 'Panel 1' & 'Panel 2' fuses under the dashboard and they all seem to appear okay. Nonetheless, I replaced the '10A TAIL' fuse with a spare fuse from the fuse box under the hood, but to no avail
> Any suggestions/opinions on this matter would be GREATLY appreciated :D
vinooooo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:47 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
It may be the headlight switch that is failing as opposed to a fuse (particularly with the intermittent nature of it).

If you can remove the lower steering column cover and snap a picture of the headlight switch connector (so I can verify the wiring of the AUS versus other market Yaris) I can tell you which wires to jump to bypass that portion of the switch to verify that it is the cause.

The headlight switch has two separate switching circuits when you turn it on. One switches the headlights and the other switches the interior illumination.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:01 PM   #3
vinooooo93

thanks for the reply

Is there a video/ guide on how to do this?

I've tried removing the plastic covers from the top and bottom portion of the back of the steering wheel but it just won't come off
Old 10-24-2014, 11:22 PM   #4
vinooooo93

Yep, i am an idiot... Forgot to remove two screws.. *facepalm*

So i tried gently cleaning the switches with paper and a screwdriver and it looks like it did the job. Dashboard lights, radio and tail lights are all back on but sometimes its hit and miss. Not sure if this is a permanent fix though.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:38 AM   #5
Temjin
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris 07 Red
Sorry to piggyback on this thread, but my wife's 2007 Yaris potentially got a similar problem. I realised one of the brake light and both tail lights weren't working. Replaced all four bulbs (might as well for brake light), but the tail lights still doesn't work.

Then I checked the TAIL fuse and replaced it with the spare, but still doesn't work.

The dash and radio board lights do work. I assumed it could be the same headlight switch problem that vinooooo93 is having.

vinooooo93, would be great if you can post an image up when you have it done. Thanks mate!

Cheers
Temjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:18 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinooooo93 View Post
thanks for the reply

Is there a video/ guide on how to do this?

I've tried removing the plastic covers from the top and bottom portion of the back of the steering wheel but it just won't come off
Look at my cruise control DIY that is linked at the bottom of my signature for how to remove the steering column cover. There are 3 screws that you have to remove.

Also, I believe that your Australian Yaris does not have a dimmer knob, but if it does, try adjusting that to see if the dash lights come back.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:25 AM   #7
vinooooo93

hi mate,

Well I used this video as a guide:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX5ABfOwOZU

However, for the Yaris, there are actually two screws holding those two plastic covers together. So what you need to is turn the steering wheel to one direction so that you can get access to the screw and remove it and do the same for the other side

UPDATE: I tried a second time cleaning it but this time using very fine sandpaper. With the the headlight switch in the off position, i took a long strip of sandpaper and slided it through to where the 'brass keys' makes contact. I then turned the headlight switch and gently moves the sandpaper from side to side. Turn off the headlight switch, removed the sandpaper, and i found quite a bit of dirt. I probably repeated this whole procedure 3 more times to make sure. Then i reassembled everything back together. Now, it works like a charm!
Old 10-25-2014, 07:26 AM   #8
vinooooo93

Referred to this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX5ABfOwOZU
Old 10-31-2014, 08:21 PM   #9
Temjin
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris 07 Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinooooo93 View Post
hi mate,

Well I used this video as a guide:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX5ABfOwOZU

However, for the Yaris, there are actually two screws holding those two plastic covers together. So what you need to is turn the steering wheel to one direction so that you can get access to the screw and remove it and do the same for the other side

UPDATE: I tried a second time cleaning it but this time using very fine sandpaper. With the the headlight switch in the off position, i took a long strip of sandpaper and slided it through to where the 'brass keys' makes contact. I then turned the headlight switch and gently moves the sandpaper from side to side. Turn off the headlight switch, removed the sandpaper, and i found quite a bit of dirt. I probably repeated this whole procedure 3 more times to make sure. Then i reassembled everything back together. Now, it works like a charm!
Thanks alot mate!

I haven't got to it yet, but had a mechanic to come over to logbook service both of my cars and had him to check out the problem as well. The problem was obvious and I was pretty certain cleaning the contacts would have fixed it, but he wanted to replace the entire headlight stalk plus labour for $500!!! :D

Will work on it later this weekend. But thanks a lot for the video card, I would assume the procedure is the same for Yaris.
Temjin is offline   Reply With Quote