Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-26-2021, 10:20 AM   #1
supercoolguy
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris sedan
Help - Transmission Grinding/scraping noise while in gear

'08 Yaris Sedan
Manual
~200,000 nearly all freeway miles

The condition
A "grinding" or "scraping" noise, or maybe both at the same time, that comes from the transaxle/drivetrain (no discernible D vs P side difference)

The noise is only noticeable in gear. All gears. No noise in neutral or with clutch depressed

Loud enough to be noticeable over road/tire noise below 40 MPH. Not noticeable at freeway speeds

The noise is probably more noticeable/worse in mild overrun.... although that may just be the fact that at higher RPM engine braking (eg down hill), I cant hear it

No gearshift issues (all smooth/easy shifts, no slups, etch)
No performance or mileage issues (30 MPG in extreme, agressive, heavy stop go hilly-driving city traffic with AC, 35 in mixed, 39~40 in pure freeway)
Brand new Redline gear oil (no evidence of abnormal metallic debris or low fluid level in old oil)
NOTE: the noise/symptom was evident prior to the fluid change

My assumption is that its a bearing in or associated with the clutch/flywheel, and that repair and diagnosis will require transmission removal.

I dont know a lot about the transaxle operation, but I assume that because the noise is only evident with a gear engaged, but also ALL gears, that its unlikely to be anything down-stream of the clutch

I should be able to post audio soon, but I just wanted to get this on the site ASAP

If anyone has any advice please let me know.

If anyone reading this thinks that it is the transaxle internals, please suggest a West Coast supplier of rebuilt Transmissions (Northern CA, OR, or WA)

I did a cursory search and the prices are insane.
supercoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bearing, clutch, flywheel, transmission