Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-29-2021, 01:32 AM   #1
RMcG

Drives: 2008 Yaris Base Hatchback
DIN or ISO DIN for head unit installation?

I am in the process of installing an aftermarket radio/MP3 & CD player in my 2008 Yaris Hatchback that I bought from Crutchfield. Crutchfield tech support is closed and I think this is a simple question that some people on the forum know the answer to.

The radio is the Pioneer DEH-S4220BT, the In-dash Receiver Kit is the Metra 99-8216, and the wiring harness is the Metra 70-1761 Receiver Wiring Harness. The Crutchfield instructions link is here. The links to information and instructions for the two Metra products and for the Pioneer receiver are at the bottom of the page under "Product Manuals."

More specifically, the Crutchfield website instructions for the 99-8216 Receiver Kit are here and are also attached. There are two different sets of instructions for the 99-8216 Kit. One set of instructions is for "DIN radio provision with pocket" the other set of instructions is for "ISO DIN radio provision with pocket."

QUESTION: I am not sure whether my situation is DIN or ISO DIN. Does anybody know for sure?

Based on looking at this sticky Aftermarket Stereo / Speaker Specifications, it appears that the answer is ISO DIN, but I am not completely sure. Does anybody know for sure?

Thanks,

R.

MetraKitAssemblyInstructions.PDF

Last edited by RMcG; 09-02-2021 at 02:18 AM. Reason: For clarity
RMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 08:50 PM   #2
RMcG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcG View Post
I am in the process of installing an aftermarket radio/MP3 & CD player in my 2008 Yaris Hatchback that I bought from Crutchfield. Crutchfield tech support is closed and I think this is a simple question that some people on the forum know the answer to.

The radio is the Pioneer DEH-S4220BT, the In-dash Receiver Kit is the Metra 99-8216, and the wiring harness is the Metra 70-1761 Receiver Wiring Harness. The Crutchfield instructions link is here . The links to information and instructions for the two Metra products and for the Pioneer receiver are at the bottom of the page under "Product Manuals."

More specifically, the Crutchfield website instructions for the 99-8216 Receiver Kit are here . There are two different sets of instructions for the 99-8216 Kit. One set of instructions is for "DIN radio provision with pocket" the other set of instructions is for "ISO DIN radio provision with pocket."

QUESTION: I am not sure whether my situation is DIN or ISO DIN. Does anybody know for sure?

Based on looking at this sticky Aftermarket Stereo / Speaker Specifications, it appears that the answer is ISO DIN, but I am not completely sure. Does anybody know for sure?

Thanks,

R.

Hello,

I figured out the answer to this question: either the DIN or ISO DIN method will work (see Metra Kit Assembly instructions attached to the previous post). To use either method, there is a metal DIN cage (or sleeve) that has to be slid off of the receiver unit (radio), and there are two supplied special tools called "keys" that slide between the unit and the DIN cage to allow the DIN cage to be released (slid off) of the unit. These two "keys" are like thin strips of metal. (See link to video below.)

For the particular Pioneer Receiver unit I have, in order to slide the two keys between the receiver unit (radio) and the DIN cage, the "trim ring" has to be removed from the front of the unit. (I did this using a thin flat head screw driver and going around the edge of the ring.) It is easier to remove the trim ring if the face plate is detached first (this particular Pioneer unit has a detachable face plate).

After removing the DIN cage, it can then be slid into the supplied plastic aftermarket radio housing (see Metra Kit Assembly instructions attached to the previous post). The supplied plastic aftermarket radio housing fits into the space for the radio in the Yaris vehicle. And the DIN cage is kept in place by bending some metal tabs to hold the DIN cage in place inside the housing, again see instructions attached to the previous post. The receiver unit then slides into place in the DIN cage and as I said above, the radio housing fits into the space for the radio/receiver in the Yaris vehicle.

If the ISO method is used, then the DIN cage is simply set aside and two ISO brackets are secured to the sides of the receiver unit using supplied screws (see Metra Kit Assembly instructions attached to the previous post). The positions of these two ISO brackets on the unit can be adjusted, because the screws in the brackets are inserted through slots. The positioning of the ISO brackets may possibly be made easier by reattaching the trim ring before using the screws, but it seems that attaching the trim ring to the unit without the DIN cage around the unit is more difficult. That is, the DIN cage seems to help secure the trim ring to the unit. The receiver unit then slides/clicks into place in the radio housing and is held in the place by the ISO brackets. Again, the radio housing is subsequently put into the space in the Yaris vehicle.

Even if the DIN cage is not used, it still really should be removed to expose the screw holes to attach the ISO brackets to the receiver unit (radio).

Here is a link to a Crutchfield video describing how to remove the DIN cage (AKA DIN sleeve) from the radio/receiver. The trim ring and face plate have already been removed from the unit when the video starts.

R.

Last edited by RMcG; 08-31-2021 at 12:14 AM.
Old 09-03-2021, 02:18 AM   #3
RMcG

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcG View Post
Hello,

The positioning of the ISO brackets may possibly be made easier by reattaching the trim ring before using the screws, but it seems that attaching the trim ring to the unit without the DIN cage around the unit is more difficult. That is, the DIN cage seems to help secure the trim ring to the unit. The receiver unit then slides/clicks into place in the radio housing and is held in the place by the ISO brackets. Again, the radio housing is subsequently put into the space in the Yaris vehicle.

Even if the DIN cage is not used, it still really should be removed to expose the screw holes to attach the ISO brackets to the receiver unit (radio).

R.
I just want to finish this thread to provide information to others. As evidenced by my three posts that are separated by several days, it took me a while of experimenting with the mounting and the two mounting techniques (DIN and ISO DIN) to figure this out. I think that is normal and to be expected.

Regarding my musings above, about the trim ring and the DIN cage, the trim ring (that was supplied by Pioneer with the head unit) is used with the DIN cage. But the trim ring is NOT used with the ISO DIN method. The trim ring is set aside when the ISO DIN method is used. Instead, the "trim plate" which is supplied by Metra with the 99-8216 In Dash Receiver Kit is used in place of the "trim ring" with the ISO DIN method. The trim plate and the trim ring are very similar but not the same.

In addition, for my particular head unit, I found that the trim plate should not be upside down. There is a slight difference between upside down and right side up for the trim plate. But if the trim plate is not right side up, it makes it difficult to remove the detachable receiver face, because you have to lift the detachable face up slightly when removing it.

What I said above: "The positioning of the ISO brackets may possibly be made easier by reattaching the trim ring before using the screws," is not correct. The ISO brackets fit onto the sides of the head unit in a natural way (without the trim ring being attached to the head unit) so that it is quite clear where the ISO brackets are positioned on the head unit before the screws are tightened.

I have successfully mounted the unit in my car and it is working fine. I used the ISO DIN technique, because it does not require special tools to remove the unit. But the DIN technique is also good, and, I suppose, has the advantage that the special tools needed for removal might discourage potential thieves. The video for removing the DIN cage (or sleeve), see link above, is really helpful. The Metra instructions (attached to post above) are also essential.

Good luck & Godspeed to anybody with the same question: DIN or ISO DIN for installation of a head unit?

R.

Last edited by RMcG; 09-04-2021 at 12:39 AM. Reason: For clarity

Tags
aftermarket, din, iso, kit, receiver