Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-10-2021, 07:25 PM   #1
scottya

Drives: Man
Send a message via ICQ to scottya Send a message via AIM to scottya Send a message via Yahoo to scottya
Issue with headlights

Hi guys
Newbie here... i have a 2018 Yaris Hybrid 1.5 the other day i turned on headlights and both were not working (lights on light in dash is illuminated) also both high beam on and flash not working again the high beam light illuminates on dash.. Are both full and high beam in the same bulb? i find it odd for both (or all 4) to fail at same time. I dont want to get 2 bulbs which i read are quite expensive only to find it still not working and have to shell out for an auto spark to sort it.... I am assuming lights are not included in the warranty? my dealer charges £90 just to look for faults (refunded if its a warranty fault)
Thanks any help
scottya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 04:41 AM   #2
stidnam

Drives: Starlet
Will need to know what headlights you've got - given your profile says 2018 hybrid and you're in Scotland, I'm going to assume they are projector headlights. If so, I believe those models came with halogen projectors, in which case it's a single bulb.

However, while it's possible that both bulbs have blown, it's highly unlikely.

The lights on the cluster/dash are all controlled by the body control module (except high beam for some models). Therefore, that tells me that your switch on the stalk is working at least. If the switch were bad, then your dash lights wouldn't come on.

If I were to have a guess, I'd start with the main headlamp relay in the fuse box on the RHS of the car - it's the smaller fuse box on the left hand side of the engine bay when you pop the bonnet. Easiest way to test it is to swap it out with another HL relay from another Toyota. Alternatively and something even easier is to start by checking with a multimeter if you have power to the plug that goes to the headlamp when you turn the lamp on. You'll likely have some 6 pin plug going to the headlamp - I'd need to see the plug to tell you which wire is main power.
stidnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 07:24 AM   #3
scottya

Drives: Man
Send a message via ICQ to scottya Send a message via AIM to scottya Send a message via Yahoo to scottya
Thanks for reply... well i took it to a spark and as you say it is one bulb for both main and high beam.. It did turn out that both bulbs were blown indeed very unusual but both were definitely working the day before ..so it was a simple case of replacing the bulbs which he had to order in but thankfully it wasnt a more serious issue
scottya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:41 AM   #4
stidnam

Drives: Starlet
Wow, would not have expected both bulbs to go at the same time and not within 3 years. You must be really unlucky or do a fair bit of night driving.
stidnam is offline   Reply With Quote