Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-19-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
mrbond

Drives: 2008 meteorite hatchback
Send a message via AIM to mrbond
Has anyone seen this?

http://www.fastscions.com/scion-xa-x...d-package.aspx

This is a performance head package for the 1nzfe. Not sure if it would be compatible with the VVT-i, but it's worth a look.
mrbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:43 PM   #2
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Drives: 07yaris
$1800 huh. I'll have to read further when i get home from work, b/c all I'm seeing right now is a core exchange program of stock parts, milled or ported then re-installed.

anonymous user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:45 PM   #3
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbond View Post
http://www.fastscions.com/scion-xa-x...d-package.aspx

This is a performance head package for the 1nzfe. Not sure if it would be compatible with the VVT-i, but it's worth a look.
i dont get it .. you pay about $1700 but you have to ship them back your stock ones... if so they should be selling this alot less.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
mrbond

That's what I was thinking. The things that interest me the most are the cams and valve springs, since we could take our heads to almost any machining shop around where we live and get those ported and polished.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:48 PM   #5
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
I quit reading after the first line. Too many spelling mistakes...hurts my eyes. Keep us posted =)
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:13 PM   #6
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
45 hp NA!?, if the price were lower i may consider it, i really doubt the 45hp though
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:25 PM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I don't trust that company (from my Scion background).

1. Without dyno charts, don't believe power claims.
2. I could do head work for a lot less if anyone wants it done (and I'm sure I'm not the only one that can set up an N/A head).

I do see the reason for a core charge, as the company needs to end up with a stock head to work on for the next customer (like I'm doing with the throttle bodies.)
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:28 PM   #8
staticorex

Drives: Sc'd Yaris Sedan.
I don't believes it!! :p 45whp does sound high and like ^ said no dyno=bs.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:38 PM   #9
mrbond

Yeah, I've never really trusted that site, since there are no dyno charts for anything they sell. I just thought it was an interesting idea.
Garm, what sorts of places WOULD be able to do head work? I'd go to you, but that's a good 2000+ mile road trip :P
Old 05-19-2009, 02:41 PM   #10
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
Would you be offering this service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
I don't trust that company (from my Scion background).

1. Without dyno charts, don't believe power claims.
2. I could do head work for a lot less if anyone wants it done (and I'm sure I'm not the only one that can set up an N/A head).

I do see the reason for a core charge, as the company needs to end up with a stock head to work on for the next customer (like I'm doing with the throttle bodies.)
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:19 PM   #11
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
hmmm...33% increase isnt too bad, but i've seen 50% on a good head job...heh

any way, cams have a lot to do with it, as well as programming. if you notice that when you buy a head cam package through summit or jegs or even edelbrock for v-8 cars...they will use their heads, their cam, their springs/rockers/lifters, and even go as far as using their manifolds. but all you get when you order the heads is the heads...option for assembled or not.

any way...i'm sure i could easily get 45hp out of a head job...if i replaced cams/tuning and a throttle body with the head as well.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:28 PM   #12
mrbond

^ I don't think we are able to replace the intake cam, since it's controlled by the damn VVT-i. I believe the exhaust cam and larger throttle body would be the most we could do without a shit ton of work to the ecu. I wonder if we could use the Camcon in place of a new intake cam...
Old 05-19-2009, 04:41 PM   #13
whooppee777
I used to have 1700 posts

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Send a message via AIM to whooppee777
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCALB SIRAY View Post
I quit reading after the first line. Too many spelling mistakes...hurts my eyes. Keep us posted =)
yea they spelled "body" wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01 View Post
hmmm...33% increase isnt too bad, but i've seen 50% on a good head job...heh
thats what she said.

this website makes me think they r swapping on the 2AZFE head onto a 1nz block, r they? if so the stock ecu would shit a brick if you did this. CEL's all over the place.

whooppee777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:47 PM   #14
battleversiontc

Drives: 08 vip yaris
ive actually ran there head package before they do make the close to the power advertised cause the valves are bigger ports are bigger cam lobes are bigger and the throttle body they send is better ive also ran toda head package before theres was better well this was on a 1.6l single cam honda motor did put alot more pep into it. you send your parts back they refund you the core charge so its pretty much you paying for the parts being put on the labor and the cam and the port job
mecp masters certified
battleversiontc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:27 PM   #15
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
how big are the valve reliefs in the stock pistons? A head job alone with bigger valves and cams won't get that unless you have a throttle body able to allow it and a bottom end able to allow big enough cams to get the power (hence question about pocket reliefs on the pistons).
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:12 PM   #16
eric81

Drives: Toyota Salesman
Port and polish your own head, and just get the bigger throttle body from a junkyard and it sounds like it will do the same. Maybe even faster.
eric81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:42 AM   #17
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
there's a reason they use the smaller valves. intake any way....they're lighter, cheaper, and increase velocity of air coming in. velocity equals better mixing and better fuel economy.

now, with bigger valves, you have more force needed to keep up with the rpm demand (bigger springs), more power wasted pushing that spring and heavier valve, and you also have a problem with fitting bigger valves into the head. but on the other hand you lose velocity and increase volume. now....we all know volume of fuel plus volume of air equals power.

so an easier option would be to increase duration without increasing size. you get good velocity at low lift, and you have volume at high duration.

any way. there's a lot more to porting and cam designs than what i know...but i do know that you will get very little in just 'polishing' your existing head....and also you have no idea what the coolant chambers look like in there or how much wall thickness there is...or how much you need to keep from dumping coolant in your cylinders. i'd stick with a professional doin all that....he's probably got a good CNC program for them
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:08 AM   #18
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I haven't seen a dyno on a 1.5L where cams make power yet. Maybe an artifact of VVT-I, but I know a couple people who have played with cams and it hasn't happened yet.

Someone make the call or write the email and ask for proof. That will settle some of the 'armchair quarterbacking' that always happens in these threads.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote