Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-17-2014, 06:43 PM   #19
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
Bump, Scott?
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:44 PM   #20
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betrivent View Post
Oh, one more thing: could I ground it to the power mirror wires? That way I only have to run one wire through my door to the electrical panel right?
Possibly. You would have to check to see how good the continuity to ground is for the door.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:58 PM   #21
bairjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
On an 09+, the wires are already there between the power mirror connector and the kick plate connector on both sides, so on the mirror side you would just have to snake a wire through the mirror mount and connect it to either a set of OEM heated mirror glass pieces or a set of the stick on aftermarket mirror heaters. On an 08- you'd have to run the wire all the way from the mirror, through the door and into the kick plate area.
CTScott, I am doing this install on my 2010. I have the door panel off and the three wires for the power mirror, black red and white, channel down and plug into a plug in the door. This plug they plug into also has a light blue and a purple wire leading into it. Are these the heating element wires? If so , just wire my leads from the element in the mirror directly into these?
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:43 PM   #22
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairjo View Post
CTScott, I am doing this install on my 2010. I have the door panel off and the three wires for the power mirror, black red and white, channel down and plug into a plug in the door. This plug they plug into also has a light blue and a purple wire leading into it. Are these the heating element wires? If so , just wire my leads from the element in the mirror directly into these?
Those two wires are for the OEM mirror heaters. They only go as far as the connector at the kick panel.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:51 PM   #23
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Fan speed to 3 or 4, recirc air, direction selector all the way to the lower right (windshield), heat set to full blast, dash vents open and pointed to the triangle windows... and the mirrors clear up just as fast as any of the cars with heated mirrors I've had before (Golf III, Scirocco II, BMW 2 series).

Enough ice that neither this, nor some de-icer spray can deal with, heated mirrors are a lost cause as well, because they're very low powered.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:49 PM   #24
bairjo

Quote:
Those two wires are for the OEM mirror heaters. They only go as far as the connector at the kick panel.

I understand now...thank you. By the way my mirrors do pop off like the ones in the link you provided above but are not glued in place. They snap into the frame with a little sticky putty in back of them. I will be posting a video of my install if anyone is interested.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:02 PM   #25
bairjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
Fan speed to 3 or 4, recirc air, direction selector all the way to the lower right (windshield), heat set to full blast, dash vents open and pointed to the triangle windows... and the mirrors clear up just as fast as any of the cars with heated mirrors I've had before (Golf III, Scirocco II, BMW 2 series).

Enough ice that neither this, nor some de-icer spray can deal with, heated mirrors are a lost cause as well, because they're very low powered.

Shit.... for that matter if you blast the rear window long enough with the air from the vents above the radio you don't need it as well.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:12 AM   #26
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:

Says the man from DFW, where it is not -11 F, like it is up here this morning.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:10 AM   #27
Kar98

Quote:
Says the man from DFW, where it is not -11 F, like it is up here this morning.
Pretty scary shit, temperatures are expected to plunge into the double digits this weekend, and I might have to break out my winter flip flops!
Old 02-21-2015, 09:30 AM   #28
bairjo

Quote:

Well as I stated, I am in the process of installing these. I got one side done and functional. So I took you up on your claim that directing the heater vents etc will work just as well as heated mirrors. So I packed both mirrors with some snow and ran a test. Not even close dude...The one with the heated mirror was dropping the snow off as it melted....the other side was getting worse as it is snowing here rather heavy and the falling snow was sticking to it.

After the snow was half gone from the heated mirror I shut it down as my neighbors may start to get a little concerned about me watching me video taping my mirrors in 14 degree weather.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:00 PM   #29
Kar98

Awesome! Congrats!
Old 02-21-2015, 04:26 PM   #30
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:

That doesn't even keep the front windows clear of fog in this kind of weather.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:53 AM   #31
bad
Winterizing

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
video of heated mirror install

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairjo View Post
I will be posting a video of my install if anyone is interested.
Hey, I would be interested in that video, please.

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2015, 07:37 PM   #32
bairjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad View Post
Hey, I would be interested in that video, please.

Thanks!
Here ya go...it's a little hard to follow at times....just hit pause when you are at one of the spots in the video. Good luck with your install.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pkbGxqhYZI