Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-02-2021, 09:11 AM   #1
Paavo Gopan

Drives: Toyota Yaris Mk2 Zinc 1.3
Engine turns over but wont start

Hello everyone, I am new to the site so I hope that this falls into the right category.

A year a go the Yaris which is now mine was put off the road with damage to the front of the car, only really going as far as bending the radiator inwards at the bottom. Since then the previous owner left it and it got beaten up a little by some people, only amounting to cosmetic damage.#

Since becoming the owner I have corrected the bend at the front and I am yet to fix all of the cosmetic damage. I took the battery out of another car and hooked it in to see if the engine would run. It was looking hopeful; the dash lit up and I could hear the engine readying itself. Then when I turned the key more the engine responded by turning over (without a problem), but it will not start.

I know a few problems it could be such as spark plugs needing a clean/replacing or even that the fuel has gone 'stale', but I'm new to cars (this is my first) and I am excited to do it up myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Side note: Getting the engine running is only a start. I am hoping to modify this car to its fullest, using this website as a basis for what to do. Also, I have noticed this is a mainly American user base and I am in the UK so steering wheel on the opposite side and such, I'm not sure if that will make things complicated when using information from this website or not, IU guess we will find out...
Paavo Gopan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:08 AM   #2
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paavo Gopan View Post
Hello everyone, I am new to the site so I hope that this falls into the right category.

A year a go the Yaris which is now mine was put off the road with damage to the front of the car, only really going as far as bending the radiator inwards at the bottom. Since then the previous owner left it and it got beaten up a little by some people, only amounting to cosmetic damage.#

Since becoming the owner I have corrected the bend at the front and I am yet to fix all of the cosmetic damage. I took the battery out of another car and hooked it in to see if the engine would run. It was looking hopeful; the dash lit up and I could hear the engine readying itself. Then when I turned the key more the engine responded by turning over (without a problem), but it will not start.

I know a few problems it could be such as spark plugs needing a clean/replacing or even that the fuel has gone 'stale', but I'm new to cars (this is my first) and I am excited to do it up myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Side note: Getting the engine running is only a start. I am hoping to modify this car to its fullest, using this website as a basis for what to do. Also, I have noticed this is a mainly American user base and I am in the UK so steering wheel on the opposite side and such, I'm not sure if that will make things complicated when using information from this website or not, IU guess we will find out...
Welcome. Congrats on the Yaris. They are pretty good platform to work on. I would suggest getting some kind of code reader. If you have an android phone and you pick up a cheap OBD2 ELM327 bluetooth adapter ($10.00 - $20.00) and Torque Pro or OBD Fusion, you may get codes that will help you diagnose your no-start issue. This would seem like a good place to start. I'm pretty sure you could pull any stored codes without the engine running.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:36 AM   #3
Paavo Gopan

Unfortunately the code reader wouldn't connect to the ECU. Not really sure where to go from there. Thank you for the help anyway, I will be replacing the spark plugs in a hope that they are at fault but I have a feeling it could be bigger.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:03 PM   #4
Neinris

Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paavo Gopan View Post
Unfortunately the code reader wouldn't connect to the ECU. Not really sure where to go from there. Thank you for the help anyway, I will be replacing the spark plugs in a hope that they are at fault but I have a feeling it could be bigger.
Maybe a blown fuse. Check this out...
https://youtu.be/JicbzR3Juh0
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 07:31 AM   #5
Paavo Gopan

Okay, I have done the CAN Bus tests described in the video and it shows the network is all in order. The only thing I was questioning was that when reading the voltage going through the CAN high I got 2.46V which according to the video should be closer to 2.7V. I checked the Voltage to the CAN low I got 2.33, being a normal reading and not the same reading at the CAN high, this indicates there isn't a short going on. Is there another problem I could be facing that is indicated by the low voltage on the CAN high?

Also, thank you both for the help so far. I wouldn't have known any of this stuff without it. I can already start to feel myself understand the way the car works.

I have wondered if the OBDII scanner I bought for cheap wasn't working properly, so a friend is coming over in the next few weeks with a professional OBDII car scanner and one that definitely works. I will update this thread with the codes the scanner provides and any problems with using the scanner, if there are any like last time.
Old 03-20-2021, 02:29 AM   #6
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
Get someone to start it for you so the engine is turning over and spray some easy start into the intake - if it goes its probably a fuel problem. I would wonder if maybe its low on fuel and there is some air in the fuel system or it has stale fuel. I have had mine up on the jack stands before for a few weeks and taken it off and its been a little low and fuel and it was a bit of a fight to the death to get the thing to start.

The factor manuals for the Yaris have diagrams for the left and right hand drive versions - differences are very minimal. Being a Japanese car it was probably designed with a RHD preference because the Japanese drive on the proper side of the road like we do in the UK.
Old 04-03-2021, 09:14 AM   #7
Paavo Gopan

Engine started! None of the OBDII scanners worked so I had another look at the fuse box with someone a bit more mechanical literate and they found a fuse that was busted. I put in a spare fuse from the box and it started straight away... only to find a big crack in the radiator. I am still chuffed to bits.

Thank you again to everyone for the suggestions, not long now and she'll be back on the road.