Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-15-2006, 12:52 AM   #1
Bounty Hunter
I've made a post!

Drives: '05 STi
Test drove: Yaris sedan 5spd, Fit base auto, Civic LX 2dr 5spd

First off...I've driven the Fit Sport 5 spd a couple times already. There wasn't any in stock at any of the dealers though.

Today I was considering trading in one of my cars. Here's my thoughts on each:

-'07 Toyota Yaris sedan 5 spd - almost no options, only the "All Weather Package" which was priced @ $13,3XX.

It was the only one on the lot and the salesman was nice, but not pushy. He asked if I wanted to drive the FJ Cruiser first, but it's not what I'm looking for. :P We jumped into the only Yaris on the lot and took it for a spin. I thought it drove very good. Handling was good without the suspension feeling harsh, power was decent. The brakes were a little spongey feeling, but still predictable. I was impressed with the passing power on the interstate with the A/C on high WITH a passenger. I had no trouble merging on the on ramp. I love the pricetag, but as far as safety you don't get ABS, side and side curtain airbags standard. That's something to think about. Other than that, I was very happy with the car.

-'06 Honda Civic LX Coupe 5 spd - no additional options. MSRP was $17,XXX.

I have a friend that works at one of the Honda dealerships so that's a plus. The LX felt good, power was decent, handling was good, brakes were decent. The shifter "feel" left a lot to be desired. It was notchy and clunky. It just didn't feel like driving a Honda manual tranny. I couldn't get over that and because of it...I think it took away from the test drive. :|

-'07 Honda Fit Base automatic - didn't even look at the MSRP...it was their test mule.

I've driven the Fit before, but only in 5 spd. I find myself liking this car more and more everytime I drive it. You get a lot of car for the money. The auto seems to shift a little early, but I guess that's just to make sure the driver has power on demand for manuevering through traffic. :P The handling of the Fit really suprises me. Turn-in is great and this car builds confidence on a twisty road. It's funny because you initially think you're going to lean and tip over until you drive a Fit. It plants and goes where you want it to without sacrificing ride quality.

Neither dealer could offer me what I need for my car, but it was fun looking. The Honda dealer told me there's a 3-4 month wait for a Fit nationwide. I'm not sure if that's BS or not. I'm looking into selling my car outright and then I'll make a decision. I still want to drive a Yaris hatchback and a Nissan Versa.

-Todd
Bounty Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:55 AM   #2
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter
First off...I've driven the Fit Sport 5 spd a couple times already. There wasn't any in stock at any of the dealers though.

Today I was considering trading in one of my cars. Here's my thoughts on each:

-'07 Toyota Yaris sedan 5 spd - almost no options, only the "All Weather Package" which was priced @ $13,3XX.

It was the only one on the lot and the salesman was nice, but not pushy. He asked if I wanted to drive the FJ Cruiser first, but it's not what I'm looking for. :P We jumped into the only Yaris on the lot and took it for a spin. I thought it drove very good. Handling was good without the suspension feeling harsh, power was decent. The brakes were a little spongey feeling, but still predictable. I was impressed with the passing power on the interstate with the A/C on high WITH a passenger. I had no trouble merging on the on ramp. I love the pricetag, but as far as safety you don't get ABS, side and side curtain airbags standard. That's something to think about. Other than that, I was very happy with the car.

-'06 Honda Civic LX Coupe 5 spd - no additional options. MSRP was $17,XXX.

I have a friend that works at one of the Honda dealerships so that's a plus. The LX felt good, power was decent, handling was good, brakes were decent. The shifter "feel" left a lot to be desired. It was notchy and clunky. It just didn't feel like driving a Honda manual tranny. I couldn't get over that and because of it...I think it took away from the test drive. :|

-'07 Honda Fit Base automatic - didn't even look at the MSRP...it was their test mule.

I've driven the Fit before, but only in 5 spd. I find myself liking this car more and more everytime I drive it. You get a lot of car for the money. The auto seems to shift a little early, but I guess that's just to make sure the driver has power on demand for manuevering through traffic. :P The handling of the Fit really suprises me. Turn-in is great and this car builds confidence on a twisty road. It's funny because you initially think you're going to lean and tip over until you drive a Fit. It plants and goes where you want it to without sacrificing ride quality.

Neither dealer could offer me what I need for my car, but it was fun looking. The Honda dealer told me there's a 3-4 month wait for a Fit nationwide. I'm not sure if that's BS or not. I'm looking into selling my car outright and then I'll make a decision. I still want to drive a Yaris hatchback and a Nissan Versa.

-Todd
Nice review and comments. I always like hearing other ppls opinions of the Yaris and its usual competition.

Jem
Jem_hadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:49 AM   #3
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
I test drove both the Fit and the Yaris. The Fit is nice, and you're right you do get a lot of car for the money. There was like a $4k differnce between the Honda Fit Sport and the Yaris LB I was looking @. Driving the Yaris though It feels more powerful. I know the 2 motors are the same displacement but I guess It's where the powerband is in the Yaris that makes It feel more powerful to me. Anyway I ended up getting the Yaris, I think It handles just as well as the Fit If not better. I just hate not having power windows, tachometer and door locks, that's standard on the Fit. I love my Yaris though, plus it's about 200lbs lighter I think. I just think the Fit looks too much like the Odyssey or the Matrix.
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:56 AM   #4
WRBlue

Drives: Yaris 3 Door, 04 WRX, 69 Lotus
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchbackkid82 View Post
Driving the Yaris though It feels more powerful. I know the 2 motors are the same displacement but I guess It's where the powerband is in the Yaris that makes It feel more powerful to me. .... I love my Yaris though, plus it's about 200lbs lighter I think. I just think the Fit looks too much like the Odyssey or the Matrix.
The Fit dynos about 10 hp less than the yaris. About 80 at the wheels, everything I see has the Yaris at 90. That's 12.5% more power in the Yaris. And 200lbs is a lot...
WRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:30 PM   #5
Nigal

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
I remember pulling into the dealers to look at Carollas and when I saw the Sedan 'S' I was like, "wow, what is that? Looks like a little Camery.". It was $15K and as I was driving it looking at all the goodies and the great styling I asked the saleslady, "Seriously? Fifteen for all this?". I must have sounded like a damn commercial.

I had been looking at Civics but they didn't have the new ones and they were not being sold for the $17K they say. Hell a two year old used one was going for $15K.

I've had my 'S' for about 15 months and have 34,000 miles on it and I still love it like when I first got it. Normally after a time cars just become transportation for me but I'm still smitten.
Nigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:22 PM   #6
fu_im_from_texas

Drives: Liftback
Send a message via AIM to fu_im_from_texas
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchbackkid82 View Post
...I just think the Fit looks too much like the Odyssey ...
...the fit is very photogenic, but in person its mini-van fugly...
fu_im_from_texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:46 AM   #7
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
I came real close to buying a Fit. I actually made an offer on a black Sport for $21000. Sales guy wanted over $23000, I walked out and headed to the Toyota dealership. I was low balling him, but I truly felt that the Fit Sport wasn't worth over $21000 (Canadian). The LX version of the Fit can be had for about $21000, but it's too ugly to consider, while the Sport's model had some skirts to cover-up the ugliness.

I test drove the Fit LX Manual, Automatic and a Manual Sport. However, both LX was equipped with 16' ultra sport tires, which suited the car's handling characteristic, but made for a bad comparison vs the Yaris dinky 175/65/14 tires. The Fit's Automatic transmission was quite entertaining, very responsive, it made ya feel like you were in a jet fighter while negotiating the parking lot. Likewise, the steering was very sensitive and was very quick to turn-in and gave the car a very nimble feel. However, all the sporty reflex seemed more geared for spunky driving at low speeds, but a little jittery at high speeds. On the highway, the Fit's high strung response made for poor cruising at 160km/hr (the higher revving engine didn't help), unlike the Yaris, which is able to cruise at 160km/hr on a good day. Interestingly, the Fit felt as nimble as my slammed 98 Civic at low speeds, but when the going gets tough, it's quite obvious the Fit, aided by it's electronics, is a poser while the old Civic is the real deal (granted even a similarly tweak Yaris would not be able to match my old Civic's handling). However, the fact that Honda was able to dial-in the old-school nimble feel into the Fit is an achievement on its own since it's trying to simulate the formula-1 derived double-wishbone suspension system (The 98 model was the last Civic to have that suspension system, however it still lives in the much heavier Accord).

Regarding shifter and shifting quality for the manual transmissions. The Fit is the best, then comes my old 98 Civic Hatch, then the Yaris and lastly the new Civic. However, I've only tested the 5spd manual transmission on the Civic Coupe DX-G, the 6speed Si version might have a better feel (If it's like the RSX-S shifter, then it'd be the best).
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:40 AM   #8
grampi

Drives: Corolla
I too think the Fit is ugly. As close as it and the Yaris are in terms of just about everything else, I can't see buying a Fit over a Yaris based on looks alone. Like others have said, the Yaris does have the power and weight advantage also.
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote