Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-03-2014, 06:05 PM   #1
scoobopdan

Drives: 2008 Yaris
slippery/airy OEM tires and suspension?

I just got an '08 Yaris and it's been a while since I've driven a car with such skinny tires but I wanted to get others' opinion. It seems like I'm gliding along the cement sometimes, especially at higher speeds and going over bumps. It's hard to explain but it's like hitting small patches of ice. The car's suspension seems very soft to me, so I thought that might be the issue. But then I thought about how skinny the tires are and thought maybe I am actually sliding around. All parts are OEM, has anyone else experienced this? I'm planning on either tightening the suspension or shelling out money for fatter rims to try and fix it.
scoobopdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:25 PM   #2
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Drives: 07 silver sedan
Try losing control on purpose in a parking lot. Either you grip and your ride is really silky OEM smooth, or you drive like a pro maniac and really do skid. I hope for the latter, and that you get some sweet rims and wider tires for us all to see.
sheekeebut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:40 PM   #3
aspro

Drives: 2011 Yaris RS 5 door 5 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobopdan View Post
I just got an '08 Yaris and it's been a while since I've driven a car with such skinny tires but I wanted to get others' opinion. It seems like I'm gliding along the cement sometimes, especially at higher speeds and going over bumps. It's hard to explain but it's like hitting small patches of ice. The car's suspension seems very soft to me, so I thought that might be the issue. But then I thought about how skinny the tires are and thought maybe I am actually sliding around. All parts are OEM, has anyone else experienced this? I'm planning on either tightening the suspension or shelling out money for fatter rims to try and fix it.
You're probably just not used to driving with skinnier tires. They have a smaller contact patch with the ground which will in turn create less noise and less feel of the road which is why you are experiencing this.

If you want to really feel more of the road then lower it with some stiffer springs and go to a wider tire with a smaller side wall. Or just enjoy a buttery soft OEM ride.

TRD sway bar, h&r coilovers, tanabe strut tower bar, konig feather, bfg sport comp 2, MI intake manifold, aem cai, dc header, trd catback, MI crank pulley, trd short shift kit, phillips hid kit, morimoto led fogs, parrot navi indash, alpine 6.5 speakers, alpine amp, alpine reverse camera, led interior lights, thule roof racks, netz badges...
aspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:20 PM   #4
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Yea, especially on the stock tires you will slide around a bit, it is fun. Just remember you are not driving a sports car, you are driving a car for gas mileage. Or go buy some Star Specs if you want to handle.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:49 PM   #5
nortonfb

Drives: 2007
All your tires the same? Checked pressure?
Norton
nortonfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 03:33 PM   #6
scoobopdan

Pressure is on and the tires are all the same. Let me ask this then, in an effort to save some money, what do you think would be more beneficial. Stiffer lower suspension or wheels?
Old 10-04-2014, 04:15 PM   #7
aspro

Quote:
Pressure is on and the tires are all the same. Let me ask this then, in an effort to save some money, what do you think would be more beneficial. Stiffer lower suspension or wheels?
It all depends what you are looking for and what you are willing to sacrifice. Wheels and tires would probably be your safest bet and cheapest (for the most part). But if you do just lowering springs that are stiffer then that will be cheaper but not the best performance in comparison to say a coilover but a coilover kit may be too wild for what you are looming for. I would say start with rims and rubber and then depending on your budget work towards the suspension. If it was my car I would do a coilover kit and then wheels and tires at the same time because they compliment each other.

But start with rims and rubber and determine then where you want to go from there. And remember, you get what you pay for so do your research. Advice on rims, stick with a 15" rim, look for a lighter weight rim (I'm running Koenig feathers best bang for your buck I would say) and get a good all around tire that is within the same diameter of the stock tire but something slightly wider to give you more tire on the ground. I'm running a 15x6.5 rim with 38 offset on on bfg comp 2's 195/55/15r tires. Love love love this set up. Car is easier to get up to speed with the saved weight, handling is amazing and they are much more comfy than the original rims/tires and waaaaay better than my 16" rims/tires that I had last.

Good luck.

TRD sway bar, h&r coilovers, tanabe strut tower bar, konig feather, bfg sport comp 2, MI intake manifold, aem cai, dc header, trd catback, MI crank pulley, trd short shift kit, phillips hid kit, morimoto led fogs, parrot navi indash, alpine 6.5 speakers, alpine amp, alpine reverse camera, led interior lights, thule roof racks, netz badges...
Old 10-04-2014, 11:11 PM   #8
scoobopdan

That's pretty much what I was leaning towards. Easier to install too. Ok so here's a question like my last thread my helpful friend, did you use a site to shop for rims? It's seriously been 5 years since I've owned a car and I don't remember any of my websites :(
Old 10-05-2014, 12:02 AM   #9
aspro

Quote:
That's pretty much what I was leaning towards. Easier to install too. Ok so here's a question like my last thread my helpful friend, did you use a site to shop for rims? It's seriously been 5 years since I've owned a car and I don't remember any of my websites :(
I bought from a Canadian site. Being that you are from the US I would suggest taking advantage of the better prices available to you locally such as www.tirerack.com

Old 10-05-2014, 08:02 AM   #10
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Discounttiredirect.com ftw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2014, 10:56 AM   #11
willieG

Drives: 09 hb 2nzfe m
don't forget about a rear sway bar. Made a nice improvement for me. lowering after also made it feel better. And then tyres with less sidewall movement or lower profile made alot of difference after lowering and sway bar. but bigger heavier wheels slows it down a bit
willieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:05 AM   #12
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
I agree with WeeYari. For pretty good selection, great prices, and excellent customer service, this will probably be your best resource:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...026487&yr=2014
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:31 PM   #13
aspro

Quote:
Originally Posted by willieG View Post
don't forget about a rear sway bar. Made a nice improvement for me. lowering after also made it feel better. And then tyres with less sidewall movement or lower profile made alot of difference after lowering and sway bar. but bigger heavier wheels slows it down a bit
Couldn't agree more on the rear sway bar. Definitely a worthy investment for the car. It will tighten everything up and make the car feel a lot more stable in the corners. I've got a TRD rear sway bar and I love it, very easy install too. And they can be had now for $150-$180 depending where you get it from.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:02 PM   #14
scoobopdan

sway bar is a great idea that I totally forgot about. Can one of you guys with a hatch snap a picture of yours when you get a chance? I just want to see how much of the boot it takes up, thanks!
Old 10-05-2014, 07:28 PM   #15
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
^ your thinking of the wrong bar. The rear sway bar is under the car, attached to the lower shock mounts. It is the only bar that really does any good for the daily driver.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:56 PM   #16
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
sway bar is a great idea that I totally forgot about. Can one of you guys with a hatch snap a picture of yours when you get a chance? I just want to see how much of the boot it takes up, thanks!

sent from my S4 on Mars
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:00 AM   #17
Gogogordy

Drives: Miss my Yaris, love my Jeep jk
New sway bar owner

Quote:
I installed the TRD bar 3 days ago. (Wondering now why I didn't do it 3 yrs ago!)
Big improvement. Huge.

When I'm not driving my Yaris, I'm doing this:
http://gogogordy1.wix.com/scooter-aficionado
Gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:24 AM   #18
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Drives: 07 silver sedan
TRD bar complemented my coilovers nicely. It's got poise.
sheekeebut is offline   Reply With Quote