Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-25-2007, 07:28 PM   #1
webomatics

Drives: SILVER BULLET
WEIRD RUBBING PROBLEM

So i took the wife and the kid to Cape Cod this weekend, and trough out the trip my rear passenger side tire was rubbing the hell out of the fender. I freaked out and decided maybe it was a alignement problem and after taking the car to a local shop i saw what the problem was. The separation between the left strut and the rear strut from the body is different. The wheel thats rubbing has about 0.8 inch separation from the body compared to the side that does not rub. I have Rota Slip with 38 offset and 205/50r16 tires and NF's. Any ideas will be appreciated.
webomatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:32 PM   #2
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
Wow NF's aren't low at all. That's plain fucked up. So the mechanic who looked at it came up with this? Is it just obviously placed different on each side? I've never noticed. i'll have to crwal under there and take a look.

Were you really loaded down on that side. Like the wife and a kid or something. Maybe that is why?
Old 06-25-2007, 07:40 PM   #3
webomatics

Not at all i saw it myself. Inmagine one strut been completely 90 degrees from the floor and the other slightly bent towards the outside of the fender well. Basically one wheel is tucked in and the othe sticks out slightly on and angle. I really dont know what correction should be made on that wheel. I meand first i have to determine if it's a shock problem, camber problem or whatever and go from there. I had an accident several years back on a car that the fender cut into the wheel so i really dont want to go tough that pain again.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:46 PM   #4
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

And you are certian that you weren't parked on a slightly unlevel surface. Emarrassingly I was convinced my shit was screwed but this car seems to realy look warped and unlevel on the slightest unlevel surface. I'm not doubting you just trying to think of what I can with my limited resources. Maybe camber bolts would be a fix?

Take it to the dealer first and bitchfit. This was a dealer that looked at it or a mechanic?
Old 06-25-2007, 07:53 PM   #5
webomatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhardmeat View Post
And you are certian that you weren't parked on a slightly unlevel surface. Emarrassingly I was convinced my shit was screwed but this car seems to realy look warped and unlevel on the slightest unlevel surface. I'm not doubting you just trying to think of what I can with my limited resources. Maybe camber bolts would be a fix?

Take it to the dealer first and bitchfit. This was a dealer that looked at it or a mechanic?
I'll take it to my mechanic on friday man if i go to dealership with those NF's on they'll try to screw me with the warranty. The surface was even and the car was also put on lift so you know it was even. Im also starting to think that camber bolts could fix the problem.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:55 PM   #6
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Ok, well you have already examined it very well. Woul dhave been nice if you were wrong. Yeah the NF's are going to be a problem at the dealer. You are right. How about putting the stock back on check everything out and then take it to the dealer? I know it is a lot of work but you will save and maybe it is just that the damper is fucked up. I dunno. Sorry I'm not really any help on this. I'd be pretty irritated in your situation.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:58 PM   #7
webomatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhardmeat View Post
Ok, well you have already examined it very well. Woul dhave been nice if you were wrong. Yeah the NF's are going to be a problem at the dealer. You are right. How about putting the stock back on check everything out and then take it to the dealer? I know it is a lot of work but you will save and maybe it is just that the damper is fucked up. I dunno. Sorry I'm not really any help on this. I'd be pretty irritated in your situation.
Yeah man i mean its a new car, your not cutting anything, and you buying crap designed for the car so it's agravating, i sure hope its a problem with the suspension ie. struts, camber, etc and not a factory deffect ive hear of those in scionlife and were a pain in the ass for those owners.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:27 PM   #8
webomatics

To any of the guys here that work on your cars could my problem be adjusting the cambers on the back of the car? can you actually adjust camber on the rear of this car?
Old 06-26-2007, 02:38 AM   #9
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
The rear was a problem for me too. For anyone reading this if you have 215/40/17's with 17x7 wheels at a 40mm offset they will rub in the rear. I had me and my dad in the front seat and no one in the rear and we hit a bump and the rear rubber the inner fender in the back slightly. The offset and the width is playing a role. I am guessing either need less of a positive offset or dont go as wide with the rim. Here is the tool I use to get the width and to compare tire sizes to stock.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:35 AM   #10
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
can we see a couple pics of this?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:08 AM   #11
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...light=netz+cup

Look at the red one. 324
Old 06-26-2007, 03:09 PM   #12
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
This was a thread I started a while back.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1248

When i first put the wheels and tires on before I lowered it I thought the front was sticking out too far with the offset of the wheel and the tire combo, but after I lowered it I thought it was all fine because I drove with me and my girlfriend in it and the fronts were no problem. Even when i had the suspension stock with the wheels my girlfriend and 2 of here friends went about 40 miles out of town and on the interstate when hit bumps I could hear something like scraping.....It was coming form the rear so even at stock height with the 215's with a 17x7 wheels at a +40mm offset I was hitting the rear inner fender with the sidewall of the tire, and it was just barely rubbing. So if I would have went with the 205's I would have been fine.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:37 PM   #13
webomatics

Well in went to my mechanic today and he basically told me that there was nothing he could do. The problem seems to be a factory defect on the cars rear torsion beam . I would not be noticeable with stock wheels but after I dropped it was clear. I also noticed were the rubbing was happening (on the piece of plastic/metal liner that separates the quarter panel with the rear bumper) I have filed it with my dremmel and will test if the rubbing goes away. It still disappointing that you have to deal with this problem on a brand new car. If any of you guys have noticed this what has been your approach?

Last edited by webomatics; 06-26-2007 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:50 PM   #14
KwonSau

Drives: 2007 LB Meteorite Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by webomatics View Post
Well in went to my mechanic today and he basically told me that there was nothing he could do. The problem seems to be a factory defect on the cars rear torsion beam .
Forgive me if this is a stupid question to ask, but could your car ever have been lifted by the rear torsion beam? The manual warns againts it (probably because the beam is made out of paper mache), and it's very believable that an improper lift could bend it...I guess I'm just thinking out loud.
KwonSau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:11 PM   #15
webomatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by KwonSau View Post
Forgive me if this is a stupid question to ask, but could your car ever have been lifted by the rear torsion beam? The manual warns againts it (probably because the beam is made out of paper mache), and it's very believable that an improper lift could bend it...I guess I'm just thinking out loud.
Not at all always lifted correctly. We inspected torsion beam very closely and did not find any bents. At this point I’m not going to go crazy with this i tested the car with somebody on the corner and I’m happy to report the tire its not rubbing anymore. When i put my TRD Torsion Bar ill know how bad the incline is.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:26 PM   #16
KwonSau

Drives: 2007 LB Meteorite Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by webomatics View Post
Not at all always lifted correctly. We inspected torsion beam very closely and did not find any bents. At this point I’m not going to go crazy with this i tested the car with somebody on the corner and I’m happy to report the tire its not rubbing anymore. When i put my TRD Torsion Bar ill know how bad the incline is.
I'm curious to see how this works out, because I just put the nf210s on two weeks ago. Thanks for keeping us posted.
KwonSau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:14 AM   #17
webomatics

Sorry to drag this tread but I just wanted to inform you guys of my problem (resolution). I went to my dealership and they looked at the car and said there was nothing wrong with it. After you drop the car with certain wheel/size combinations, the torsion beans shift (independently) towards the outside of the car. This shift can be uneven and could be more pronounced depending of hard cornering and weight or a combination of both on individual torsion beans. My problem started when my wife sat on the back of the car (110 pounds) with my kid. On bumps and cornering on our 3/4/5 hours trips plus the added weight settled the suspension that way. Not so in the other end since no one has sat on that side since I bought the car. So there ya go if you have a weird sitting arrangement like me and you ever experience these problems this could be the answer. Also most rubbing according to the mechanic occurs exactly were the inner plastic of the rear bumper and quarter panel meet. It can be trimmed just don’t overdo it. Cheers.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:18 PM   #18
OgDogg
Gas Guzzler

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan S
I'm having this exact same problem. I didn't really understand your resolution though. I've never had someone in the back seat period and mine rubs on occasion only on the rear passenger side. It's a 2007 S. I've considered filing down on the fender where it rubs but didn't think that I could rub away enough material for it to look nice and not rub. I don't think your seating arrangement is the issue. Did you file away the inside of the fender where it rubbed and did it do anything?
OgDogg is offline   Reply With Quote