Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-29-2007, 07:05 AM   #19
YamilR

Drives: Absolutely Red Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to YamilR
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvryaris View Post
The rear was a problem for me too. For anyone reading this if you have 215/40/17's with 17x7 wheels at a 40mm offset they will rub in the rear. I had me and my dad in the front seat and no one in the rear and we hit a bump and the rear rubber the inner fender in the back slightly. The offset and the width is playing a role. I am guessing either need less of a positive offset or dont go as wide with the rim. Here is the tool I use to get the width and to compare tire sizes to stock.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
I have that set up with a DF drop and I do not rub at all
YamilR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 07:16 AM   #20
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
I dont know how the rear is with a liftback compared to an "S" sedan, but the sidewall of the tire was barely catching the inner fender. I experienced this both with the wheels on the stock suspension and with the NF's on it. When I heard the rubbing with the stock suspensio it was me and my girlfriend and her 2 friends in the back. The other time it was me and my dad with the NF drop and the back rubbed when we hit a big change over to a bridge and it rubbed again. We are some big guys though.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 08:08 PM   #21
nick1983

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by webomatics View Post
So i took the wife and the kid to Cape Cod this weekend, and trough out the trip my rear passenger side tire was rubbing the hell out of the fender. I freaked out and decided maybe it was a alignement problem and after taking the car to a local shop i saw what the problem was. The separation between the left strut and the rear strut from the body is different. The wheel thats rubbing has about 0.8 inch separation from the body compared to the side that does not rub. I have Rota Slip with 38 offset and 205/50r16 tires and NF's. Any ideas will be appreciated.
Same thing is happening to me. Stock suspension.
nick1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:38 AM   #22
webomatics

Drives: SILVER BULLET
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1983 View Post
Same thing is happening to me. Stock suspension.
Well the "explanation" given by the dealership was good enough for me for now. I've read stories about issues with factory deffects in torsion bars with the corolla and matrix. Since it was given free of charge i will not bitch about it and will take several long trips in the upcoming weeks and see if it evens out. The next question will be if you have some sort of adjustment capability on the rear suspension or is it completely fixed. So any of the guys that work on their cars let us know.
webomatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:42 AM   #23
webomatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgDogg View Post
I'm having this exact same problem. I didn't really understand your resolution though. I've never had someone in the back seat period and mine rubs on occasion only on the rear passenger side. It's a 2007 S. I've considered filing down on the fender where it rubs but didn't think that I could rub away enough material for it to look nice and not rub. I don't think your seating arrangement is the issue. Did you file away the inside of the fender where it rubbed and did it do anything?
You want to put your car on a lift if possible and see were is rubbing because it could be different on each side. And file only the part that is rubbing. It has made a ton of difference and fixed my issue.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:10 AM   #24
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
One thing still bothering me: how will this affect tire wear, over time? If anything is out of line, and you trim to make it quiet, won't it still wear out your tires prematurely??
YarisTom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:23 AM   #25
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
custom spacer?
Old 07-03-2007, 09:29 AM   #26
webomatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisTom73 View Post
One thing still bothering me: how will this affect tire wear, over time? If anything is out of line, and you trim to make it quiet, won't it still wear out your tires prematurely??
Well i guess but, incredibly, im giving the dealership the benefit of the doubt for 2 more long trips. If it doesnt even out i'll have to wrestle with them since i have non spec tires, suspension and wheels and you and i know they'll try to screw me with them been the cause of my problems or going with the "among satisfactory specs crap" thats what they do. And somebody posted in other forum thats the warranty is void when they come to the conclusion that whatever aftermarket part you put in there caused the problem in the first place... and of course thast exactly what they'll say... damm i should have gotten that VW Rabbit!!!
Old 07-03-2007, 11:05 AM   #27
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
you get premature wear from rubbing....if you trim the part off the well that was rubbing, its not going to rub anymore, so if you do have rubbing trim it ASAP...
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:08 PM   #28
webomatics

Ok now I can kill this post at last. Since I last posted I said that I was gonna give the dealership explanation I try but I ended up purchasing the TRD Rear Sway Bar from TRDsparks (thanks for the super fast shipping). Since the strut was a little wider from the body making this thing fit was kinda difficult but after I bolt it on the strut assumed the regular position in comparison to the other strut. Once the car was lowered both tires were even. So overall resolution to this problem TRD or Cusco rear sway bar fixes it. Cheers
Old 07-05-2007, 01:54 PM   #29
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Quote:
Ok now I can kill this post at last. Since I last posted I said that I was gonna give the dealership explanation I try but I ended up purchasing the TRD Rear Sway Bar from TRDsparks (thanks for the super fast shipping). Since the strut was a little wider from the body making this thing fit was kinda difficult but after I bolt it on the strut assumed the regular position in comparison to the other strut. Once the car was lowered both tires were even. So overall resolution to this problem TRD or Cusco rear sway bar fixes it. Cheers
maybe i'll purchase one after all
Old 07-15-2007, 09:12 PM   #30
OgDogg
Gas Guzzler

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan S
Got a link to the part you bought? Was it hard to install?
OgDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:23 PM   #31
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Old 08-29-2007, 10:40 PM   #32
OgDogg
Gas Guzzler

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan S
Quote:
My sway bar will be installed on Saturday. I'll be very interested to see if it fixes my problem or not. If not, I'm going to try filing down the inside of the fender... Either way, I'll let you know the outcome.
OgDogg is offline   Reply With Quote