Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-29-2006, 03:57 PM   #1
that one guy.

Drives: silver 07 effin yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by vodkalush
exactly, the only difference I really can see after waxing is at night while driving.

i agree. i waxed mine yesterday and i really didnt notice until it was dark and my car looked like glass it was amazing.
blue lit hvac

coming soon:
c one front strut-on the 30th w00t
tien s tech springs
16 in ssr comps
short ram intake

and hopefully brand new Greddy cat back exaust.
that one guy. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:51 AM   #2
jonr0613

Drives: Yaris Y Sedan
i tried turtlewax hardshell finish...and it was really nice with my yaris....people would envy you to see how shiny your yaris is....and because of that someone keyed my yaris from the passenger side all the way to the side of the trunk how i wish i saw that while he was doing it so that i could slice the face of that idiot....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1753.JPG (98.3 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1752.JPG (86.1 KB, 248 views)
jonr0613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:39 PM   #3
YarisMax

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
Waxin' the Yaris

I've found that Oznium.com carrys a line of great yet affordable waxes and sealants. I use them on my Yaris!!
YarisMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 12:55 AM   #4
RogueYaris

Drives: 2015 Abs Red
I just Ice'd my car and it was so much easier than than using normal wax and it didn't take as long. I would definitely recommend using this. It has a high price tag when it comes to wax but it is sooooo worth it.
RogueYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 10:19 AM   #5
keesue
Chillin' out by the Bay

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I use ICE too. There is so much controversy about how long it lasts and how well it protects after washing. It is so easy to use one can use it more to make up for that and one doesn't have to use that much either. The results are so satisfying on my meteorite color - clean and clear. I actually used a paste wax to compare. The ease of use outweighs any slight difference. ICE is good stuff.
keesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 08:54 AM   #6
speedracer
I've made a post!

Drives: yaris 4dr sedan
answers about clear coat.

First of all let me start by saying that I have over 25 years of experience in the automotive refinishing biz. The clear coat on your car is actually a clear paint just as durable if not more then the actual color paint under it. When a dealer offers you a clear coat protection they are actually selling you a wax job. $500 to $995 for a wax job! The interior protection is often just a can of scothguard sprayed on. Save your money and skip these add-ons. The exterior protection coverage on these extras often run the same as the factory waranty. Your main rust prevention on the new cars is a zinc coating placed on the bare metal under the paint. You can have your car profesionally buffed with out any worries of the clear coat coming off. I emphasize professionally. In the wrong hands a buffer can act just like a sander and remove the clear and the color paint especially on the edges of the panels. (Even if you use Foam Pads.) The Best thing you can do to protect your finish is wax your car. The type of wax is a personal preference. I have found the best protection is usually a paste such as turtle wax type. It provides a thicker film of protection against the elements then a simple spray on wax. Wax should be applied according to manufacturers suggestions. Also you should wax your car as soon as you get it. The paint will have been totally cured and all fumes released from the paint by the time it gets to the dealers lot and waxing it right away will add the extra protection to help keep it looking new
speedracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 03:53 PM   #7
Nibs

Drives: 07 Yaris HB black
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer View Post
First of all let me start by saying that I have over 25 years of experience in the automotive refinishing biz. The clear coat on your car is actually a clear paint just as durable if not more then the actual color paint under it. When a dealer offers you a clear coat protection they are actually selling you a wax job. $500 to $995 for a wax job! The interior protection is often just a can of scothguard sprayed on. Save your money and skip these add-ons. The exterior protection coverage on these extras often run the same as the factory waranty. Your main rust prevention on the new cars is a zinc coating placed on the bare metal under the paint. You can have your car profesionally buffed with out any worries of the clear coat coming off. I emphasize professionally. In the wrong hands a buffer can act just like a sander and remove the clear and the color paint especially on the edges of the panels. (Even if you use Foam Pads.) The Best thing you can do to protect your finish is wax your car. The type of wax is a personal preference. I have found the best protection is usually a paste such as turtle wax type. It provides a thicker film of protection against the elements then a simple spray on wax. Wax should be applied according to manufacturers suggestions. Also you should wax your car as soon as you get it. The paint will have been totally cured and all fumes released from the paint by the time it gets to the dealers lot and waxing it right away will add the extra protection to help keep it looking new
THX! I'm picking up my Yaris in two days and you just saved me alot of $.
I had originally bought the clearcoat, undercar treatment package for $500. But after researching on here I realized I can just do it myself. It's dumb but I thought they were actually doing the clearcoat paint job themselves. So I called up and sure enough it's just a wax job. Funny he still tried to sell me on it saying they do a really good job with bluffers and the whole five year warranty speel.

I've never had a car worth waxing before but sure will with this one. ICE wax seems to be the most popular so far. Will do as soon as I get it home.

how do you guys feel about the touchless car washes out there? i mean atleast just for the first wash when I get home before waxing
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 08:47 PM   #8
jaspie
Lil White her name is ~

Drives: White YRX 5DR Hatchback 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibs View Post
THX! I'm picking up my Yaris in two days and you just saved me alot of $.
I had originally bought the clearcoat, undercar treatment package for $500. But after researching on here I realized I can just do it myself. It's dumb but I thought they were actually doing the clearcoat paint job themselves. So I called up and sure enough it's just a wax job. Funny he still tried to sell me on it saying they do a really good job with bluffers and the whole five year warranty speel.

I've never had a car worth waxing before but sure will with this one. ICE wax seems to be the most popular so far. Will do as soon as I get it home.

how do you guys feel about the touchless car washes out there? i mean atleast just for the first wash when I get home before waxing
Touchless car washes do nothing ~ I took my Honda Civic there once (when I still had it, that is) ~ Went home.....ran my finger along the side.....and my finger was dirty from the dirt STUCK ON the car ~ I never went again ~

Hand washing is the best method.....time consuming and tiring it can be but you'll be really impressed and happy with the results ~

Jaspie ~
jaspie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:00 PM   #9
jmjonesey

Drives: Red 2007 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to jmjonesey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspie View Post
Touchless car washes do nothing ~ I took my Honda Civic there once (when I still had it, that is) ~ Went home.....ran my finger along the side.....and my finger was dirty from the dirt STUCK ON the car ~ I never went again ~

Hand washing is the best method.....time consuming and tiring it can be but you'll be really impressed and happy with the results ~

Jaspie ~
Amen to that, if youre gonna go to a car wash, dont pay for the touchless, if ur in a hurry, just pay the one dollar for a quick spray off, it will do a better job.
jmjonesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:54 PM   #10
jaspie
Lil White her name is ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjonesey View Post
Amen to that, if youre gonna go to a car wash, dont pay for the touchless, if ur in a hurry, just pay the one dollar for a quick spray off, it will do a better job.
Yep ~ Touchless car washes here cost around AU$13 ~ so expensive ~

Jaspie ~
Old 03-19-2007, 01:58 PM   #11
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaYarisUSA View Post
My new yaris will be here next week,I'm already to go and buy new products to protect her. What should I get,what is the best? I just saw something on QVC called final detail and it looks like great stuff! You can use it on the whole outside of the car even the plastic,windows,trimming etc and it want make that white flaking mess. It should them putting it on a car and then showing a penny slide down it,then they showed how it sheeted off water etc,I know that must waxes will do that when applied right. But,this stuff looks easier to put on that that paste wax stuff. Should I order this stuff or should I just get me some the Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax which is supose to last longer than regular wax and protect the paint longer that just plain wax? But I don't what do you guys use on your Yaris?

Thanks in advance

YotaYarisUSA
Eventhough your Yaris is brand new, trust me, during trasit at time it left the factory, it already has grit embedded in the paint...could be salt, I don't know but the grit one cannot necessarily see, but one can sure feel it.

BEFORE you wax your new car, get Mother's clay kit and us that product per the directions....it will make a big difference in the feel of the paint, making it very slippery smooth...and for a brand new car, this is often needed...trust me, the before/after differene to your finger touch is astonding!
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:20 PM   #12
jmjonesey

Drives: Red 2007 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to jmjonesey
Wow, The Turtle Wax ICE works wonders, I can see from my third floor apartment, that I have the shiniest car in the whole lot, even more than the new chrysler 300m that someone just bought

To top it off, this is the first time I have ever polished/waxed a car, and it turned out damn near perfect!
jmjonesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:16 PM   #13
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjonesey View Post
Wow, The Turtle Wax ICE works wonders, I can see from my third floor apartment, that I have the shiniest car in the whole lot, even more than the new chrysler 300m that someone just bought

To top it off, this is the first time I have ever polished/waxed a car, and it turned out damn near perfect!
look like turtle wax ice is winning over Meguiar. Seriously i tried Meguiar's polish and wax on my old pathfinder and hardly shine at all, i don't know if i did it right.
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:24 AM   #14
jaspie
Lil White her name is ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal1984 View Post
look like turtle wax ice is winning over Meguiar. Seriously i tried Meguiar's polish and wax on my old pathfinder and hardly shine at all, i don't know if i did it right.
My results were good with Meguiar's ~ I could see my reflection ~

Basically you gotta wash it first....then Scratch X (gets rid of scratches and defects) then paint cleaner (bring out shine in paint), then the polish and protect (gives it a wet look.....I use the Meguiar's Wet look polish and protect) then Wax.....(I use Gold Class Wax)

Here are some pictures of my room mate's Camry Sportivo I worked on just a few days ago ~ Need to clean my car soon too ~

CIMG0091.jpg

CIMG0088-1.jpg

CIMG0087.jpg

Meguiar's is pretty good ~ I like it ~

Jaspie ~
Old 04-13-2007, 08:33 AM   #15
jamal1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspie View Post
My results were good with Meguiar's ~ I could see my reflection ~

Basically you gotta wash it first....then Scratch X (gets rid of scratches and defects) then paint cleaner (bring out shine in paint), then the polish and protect (gives it a wet look.....I use the Meguiar's Wet look polish and protect) then Wax.....(I use Gold Class Wax)

Here are some pictures of my room mate's Camry Sportivo I worked on just a few days ago ~ Need to clean my car soon too ~

Meguiar's is pretty good ~ I like it ~

Jaspie ~

man i wish i got a room mate like you. look pretyy good, how long it took you to do all that?
Old 03-19-2007, 02:07 PM   #16
jamal1984

So what is the steps to make your car clean shine and wet looking?

Wash, Clean, Polish, Clay, Wax, Detail?
Old 03-19-2007, 02:38 PM   #17
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Drives: 2007 Black Sand Liftback
Wash
Spot dry (no need to fully dry since you're going to clay next)
Clay
Rewash
Fully dry
Polish
Your favorite LSP (last step product) i.e. sealant or wax, I prefer sealants.

Tanabe DF, Debadged, stripped, Black emblems
Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:12 PM   #18
rstb88

Drives: Silver Hatchback
mothers clay is too soft in my opinion, i suggest clay magic clay bar. the grit your feeling is actually coming from rust particles that fell from the steel crates our vehicles were shipped in.

rstb88 is offline   Reply With Quote