Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #19
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazilla View Post
I only mention it in these threads in case the one post somebody in the market for a Yaris happens across is one of them...I want to reinforce the fact that Toyota is the reliability king...and the Yaris being no exception.
And I agree re reliability...one reason I = when Consumer Reports acknowledges this, but then lists picky personal dislikes that are a matter of taste.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #20
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
What's frustrating about auto reviews is that they rarely take reliability/longevity into account when rating/comparing models. This always left the Yaris at the short end of the stick because it didn't do what the journalists wanted. Auto journalist aren't putting their money down on the cars they drive so all they care about is which one is most fun and other surface niceties. Those of us in the real world place a large amount of priority on other things, perhaps the biggest being reliability. That's where the Yaris wins hands down.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:02 AM   #21
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
What's frustrating about auto reviews is that they rarely take reliability/longevity into account when rating/comparing models. This always left the Yaris at the short end of the stick because it didn't do what the journalists wanted. Auto journalist aren't putting their money down on the cars they drive so all they care about is which one is most fun and other surface niceties. Those of us in the real world place a large amount of priority on other things, perhaps the biggest being reliability. That's where the Yaris wins hands down.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:24 AM   #22
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
Yeah thats well said.

They dont evaluate small cars for the purpose for which they are intended. Cheap transportation. They keep trying to make the car into something its not.

When the ECHO came out Edmunds review trashed the heck out of it in spite of over whelming owner reviews. I tried to point the above out to them but got nowhere.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:22 PM   #23
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Clearly, they heard it but didn't WANT to hear it. Is that Phil Edmunston? If it is, he has shown me many times that he is biased, and sometimes ignorant, to I am not surprised...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:22 AM   #24
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
Clearly, they heard it but didn't WANT to hear it. Is that Phil Edmunston? If it is, he has shown me many times that he is biased, and sometimes ignorant, to I am not surprised...
Dont remember who it was. There are MANY other reviewrs with the same attitude. I remember one womans magazine writer who praised the car for what it was however.

That makes sense. Women tend to be practical with cars whereas men look at cars as a way to express their masculinity.

Sometimes hilarity ensues!
Old 07-25-2013, 07:33 AM   #25
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
whereas men look at cars as a way to express their masculinity.

Sometimes hilarity ensues!
Yes, and women (at least in California) often say there is an inverse relationship .
Old 07-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #26
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Some guys are really sensitive to that. I used to have a little white Morris Minor Convertible; it was a riot to drive, got nearly as good economy as the Yaris, but it was the Cute Factor that was so much fun. More than once, some dude in his boogie van or Camaro would pull up beside me at a light, and the girl riding shotgun would be pounding on the guy with one hand and pointing at my car with the other, while he is studiously looking out the windshield with a REALLY sour look on his face...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #27
bronsin

I ued to ride a moped to work in Camden NJ which has a large Hispanic population.

One day one of them pulled up next to me with his GF in his macho machine and said

"Hey man I think that bike is a little too small for you!" (I go 250 lbs)

And I said:

"I know but its the only bike my wife will let me ride!"
Old 07-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #28
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Very impressive . We know someone that has an auto '08 base model Corolla with 300,000+ miles . Also has a '10 base model automatic 3 door Yaris with 130,000+ miles .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote