Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-06-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
Jeemee
XBL: Jeemee Ghost

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
GT17 too small?

Just curious. If so, what size? GT20, 25, 28?

Plan to start at 7psi and maybe graduate to 8.
No engine management, for now
No intercooler right away, may do top mount later
TC or 1ZZ injectors

Nitto Axle-Back--Tanabe DF210s--UR 23mm Rear Sway Bar--Penguin Garage 10mm Hub Spacers
Jeemee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Get the GT2554R

That is the smallest garrette BB turbo.

You can get it new from $800-$900

You can get an even smaller Journal B turbo like a GT20 but eventually when you want to upgrade your set up, those units just won't put out any top end power...

You can get easily over 200 whp with the GT2554 and still have a pretty fast spool up time.
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:21 PM   #3
Jeemee

Thanks! Any recommendations on a place to buy?

Nitto Axle-Back--Tanabe DF210s--UR 23mm Rear Sway Bar--Penguin Garage 10mm Hub Spacers
Old 06-06-2009, 05:29 PM   #4
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Ask Garm.

I recently bought the GT25 he took out of his car...
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
Jeemee

Will do. Thanks

Old 06-06-2009, 06:18 PM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
That's a good choice. 7 psi, no I/C and no management might give you 140-150 whp, I think.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:58 PM   #7
Jeemee

That would be plenty of power. Now the question would be, how safe is that set up?

If I knew the 1nz-fe volumetric efficiency and the air flow at a given rpm, then I could read the compressor maps and decide. Anyone know?

I've been looking through some honda and scion forum classifieds, I see alot of t3/t4s for sale. I'd really prefer no lag or very little obviously. A friend of mine had a t3/t4 on his B16 but I can't remember if he had lag or not. Plus vtec made it hard to tell anyway I'm sure. Hope to come across a GT25 soon.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:29 PM   #8
Jeemee

If I can get away without detonation and being lean, which I think is feasible, I think I'll be fine. I'm here to gain knowledge though so I'm open to suggestions. I may go with a TMIC, depending if I can find one designed to my likings.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:51 AM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
No intercooler and no engine management? Are you senile?
I ran my turbo without management for nearly a year. Tamago ran his with no issues either. It is possible.

The T3/T4 will create way too much lag at low boost; it's just not the right choice for your intended application.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:14 PM   #10
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Real world experience is what makes it good or bad. I am pointing out two cases where it worked fine. Do you have a real-world case where a Yaris (or other 1.5L) failed from running a low-boost application without management?

Your sarcasm does not contribute to the discussion -- your real experiences do!
Old 06-07-2009, 01:03 PM   #11
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spectacle View Post
Real world experience with a boosted Yaris? NO.

Garm, I respect you on this site for your contributions so I won't be disrespectful to you like I would, say Poopy Peter or somebody else as stupid. But, on this subject I think you and anyone who thinks like you are just flat wrong. Spreading the message that adding forced induction without proper engine management to ANY car is ridiculous within itself, not to mention the fact that you're doing it on a car with a 10.5CR (or whatever it is) that was designed for fuel economy. I mean, at the VERY LEAST I would recommend at least doing a rising rate FMU and a map/maf clamp but even that is still a recipe for disaster in the long term. Just because you got away with it for "almost a year" doesn't make it safe. There are kids on this site that don't know any better and if they read a post that says "you can boost your Yaris to 7psi without any engine management" they'll go do it, blow their motors and come back and blame you instead of their own retardness. Boosting a N/A motor is hard enough with the proper components...but slapping on a turbo with no supporting mods? What about the effects on ignition timing? A/F ratio? Fuel pressure? EGT's? It goes on and on...

I'm all for doing stupid shit, but I draw the line when I see people (especially someone so key on this site like you) recommending to other people to do stupid shit.
can't do a rising rate

this is a returnless fuel system buddy ;)

buy a wideband, put in some larger injectors, and go to town. the car will take care of timing at 7psi.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:05 PM   #12
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
jeemee, want to buy my charge pipe/intercooler? you'll need a shorter battery however.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:18 PM   #13
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
Quote:
It goes on and on...
and on and onnnn

Strangers, waiting
Up and down the boulevard!!!!
Their shadows
Searching in the nighttttt
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:22 PM   #14
Jeemee

Quote:

Garm, I respect you on this site for your contributions so I won't be disrespectful to you like I would, say Poopy Peter or somebody else as stupid. But, on this subject I think you and anyone who thinks like you are just flat wrong. Spreading the message that adding forced induction without proper engine management to ANY car is ridiculous within itself, not to mention the fact that you're doing it on a car with a 10.5CR (or whatever it is) that was designed for fuel economy. I mean, at the VERY LEAST I would recommend at least doing a rising rate FMU and a map/maf clamp but even that is still a recipe for disaster in the long term. Just because you got away with it for "almost a year" doesn't make it safe. There are kids on this site that don't know any better and if they read a post that says "you can boost your Yaris to 7psi without any engine management" they'll go do it, blow their motors and come back and blame you instead of their own retardness. Boosting a N/A motor is hard enough with the proper components...but slapping on a turbo with no supporting mods? What about the effects on ignition timing? A/F ratio? Fuel pressure? EGT's? It goes on and on...

I'm all for doing stupid shit, but I draw the line when I see people (especially someone so key on this site like you) recommending to other people to do stupid shit.
I understand where you're coming from on this. I think you've made your point so now those "kids" will read it and maybe decide against it. I'll have supporting mods. The ecu will take care of timing, enough anyway. The TC injectors will take care of the A/F ratio, a wide band for observation. Our stock fuel system is capable of handling 7 psi. I don't plan on going over that at this stage.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:24 PM   #15
Jeemee

Tamago, I'd like to see some pictures. Definitely interested.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:08 PM   #16
turboecho2005

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:

ANY engine can take 5psi of boost with a properly sized turbo. Even motors with high compression above 11:1 can be boosted to 5psi and with tunning you can push them to 8 or 9psi and with meth injection you can run 12-14psi. High compression and boost gives you the best of both worlds but hard to tune for high boost.

You don't need a built motor and tones of mods to put a turbo on your car. Id look forward to blowing up my motor so i could just rebuilt it stronger and go again.

I'd say go for it and turbo the stock motor with 7psi. Don't let The Spectacle discourage anyone.

1987 Nissan Maxima - 40,000 original miles - Slammed
1991 Isuzu Impulse RS AWD Turbo - approx 250hp - Winter Beater
1989 Isuzu Imark RS - Mint Condition - 0 rust - 100% factory :) - Summer Cruiser - 100% restored
1986 VW Jetta Wolfsburg - 120,000km - Mint condition. TDI swap in progress
turboecho2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:29 PM   #17
The Spectacle

Drives: 08 BSP LB
My objections aren't about boosting a stock motor, its about boosting any motor without the proper supporting modifications of which the primary, and most crucial component is engine management.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:34 PM   #18
The Spectacle

Drives: 08 BSP LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
the car will take care of timing at 7psi.
Wait...what?

What?

There's so much wrong here I don't even know where to begin.