Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-05-2014, 04:17 PM   #1
Forsberg

Drives: Astra G
Toyota Yaris I I want :)

Hello bros :)

I am going to buy Yaris I due its great durability but before I make final decision I must ask for few things.

My goal is Yaris after lifting, it is 2003 and newer IIRC. Engine 1.3 VVi, benzine.

1. How loud is car beyond 100 km\h and 140 km\h? Especially engine. I have now Opel Astra G 1.6 and at 100 km\h it is about 2900 RPM, 140 km\h about 4000 RPM and this is very loud.
  2. How long did you adjust to speedometer in the middle? For me it is one of the biggest cons of this car.
  3. I am going to replace digital speedometer for analog (with engine RPM). I know it is possible but is it complicated? Costly?
  4. Will change radio to my own one. Will I lose something by doing that?
  5. I know there is no coolant temperature display (engine temp). As everybody knows showing cold\warm is less than good as engine can have 75*C and it will show as "warm". Is there way to add temp display?
  6. If I get more money is it worth to upgrade to Yaris II? Are there significant changes like better silence inside ect? So far I've heard Yaris II is less durable than I.
  7. My daily usage is about 60 km, mostly on route, rarely in city :) In this case real fuel usage would be at 5-5.5 liters per 100 km? (Benzine).

Cheers.
Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 04:37 PM   #2
Jcp123

Drives: '00 Echo
The engine revs about 2500rpm in my automatic model, not sure about the manual trans but I'd guess it's around 2750? These are not quiet cars in any case.

The centre-mounted gauges actually didn't take that long to get used to, but I still really don't care for it. One of my least favourite features, IMHO.

The cold engine light turns off at about 50*C. You might be able to wire in a coolant temperature gauge yourself, or if you have a product such as the ScanGauge II or UltraGauge available where you are, it plugs into the diagnostic port under the dash and reports the coolant temperature to you live from the computer.

Fuel economy will depend on what that 60km of driving consists of, I don't think 5-5.5l/100km is a stretch. Mine is a 1.5 with that stupid automatic transmission and I am averaging about 5.6l/100km on a much shorter route, but with careful driving (you might call it eco-driving lite).

As for durability, it is there. I have about 400k km on mine and the maintenance was poor before I started driving it. It is nonetheless still 100% reliable and drives very well.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:41 PM   #3
Forsberg

Drives: Astra G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcp123 View Post
The engine revs about 2500rpm in my automatic model, not sure about the manual trans but I'd guess it's around 2750? These are not quiet cars in any case.
The problem is everyone has different taste of loudness. I don't know how to describe my level of loudness but let's say I must almost double the sound of radio to hear it good at 140 km\h (double it from 60 km\h).

Quote:
The cold engine light turns off at about 50*C. You might be able to wire in a coolant temperature gauge yourself, or if you have a product such as the ScanGauge II or UltraGauge available where you are, it plugs into the diagnostic port under the dash and reports the coolant temperature to you live from the computer.
I have some tool I use in Android - TorquePro and see real time data from car but it inconvinient to use - you must plug scanner into OBD2 socket and connect bluetooth everytime.

50*C is much too low for engine to be called "normal working temperature". Example here in Netherland it is -1*C. If I drive my car at V gear @80-90 km temperature drops up to 85*C.

Now imagine in Poland where it can be -15*C.
Driving with under-warm engine could bring bad things to it.

Quote:
Fuel economy will depend on what that 60km of driving consists of, I don't think 5-5.5l/100km is a stretch. Mine is a 1.5 with that stupid automatic transmission and I am averaging about 5.6l/100km on a much shorter route, but with careful driving (you might call it eco-driving lite).
I wanted auto-transmission too but then saw a lot of people complaining about :)
My daily route is 16 km village roads - up to 70 km\h, rest is highway.
My driving style is like granny one so.... it is important for me this car wouldn't eat 8 liters per 100km even if I drive higher than 130-140 km\h. Of course I am talking about 1.3 engine.

Quote:
As for durability, it is there. I have about 400k km on mine and the maintenance was poor before I started driving it. It is nonetheless still 100% reliable and drives very well.
400kkm, wow! If you say such high mileage it seems engine clock hasn't been "corrected". As far I see most cars in NL have mileage of 100-180kkm (Yaris I).
Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote