Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-28-2022, 09:50 PM   #1
dhodges74
I've made a post!

Drives: 2020 Toyota Yaris
2020 YARIS HATCHBACK STEERING DEFECT

I bought a new 2020 Toyota Yaris Hatchback and put about 6000 miles on it when I noticed I was having trouble with the steering. What it would do is the steering wheel developed free play while driving and the steering wheel would stick into place. I took it to the Toyota Dealer last February and after they consulted Toyota they told me the wheel is not suppose to have any freeplay in it and they replaced it under warranty and it performed correctly after the replacement part. However about 6 months later it developed the same symptoms so I took it back to Toyota and this time they told me that my yaris is made by Mazda and I got to realize this and they are not going to warranty the vehicle and that I should have realized it was not made by Toyota when I bought it. Since that time I am having trouble on the highway controlling the vehicle. The steering wheel has 18mm free play. Now Toyota told me this is now normal that it take time for the steering to break in,. I have to force the steering wheel out of its stuck position whenever I am making a turn.
I had 3 independent certified mechanics look at this and one of them told me and shook his head that he can't believe Toyota would not honor the warranty on their Yaris and agree it has become dangerous to drive because of this defect.
I gave Toyota every chance to correct this matter with no satisfaction therefore I decided to take my life savings and sue Toyota USA over this issue. I was wondering is their anyone else out there that is experiencing the same problem and getting the same response from Toyota as I am. Your feedback is welcome. After consulting the mechanics including one Mazda mechanic who agreed about the defect after checking the vehicle. they think I have a good case
dhodges74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 11:26 AM   #2
KALISPEL II

Drives: '22 Mazda CX-30 CE AWD 6-AT
Sounds like a good lemon law sort of case to get refund or vehicle replacement. Never understood the rebadging thing with automakers. Mazda should be selling their own Mazda2 if they want it in the U.S. market, & they can obviously service/fix it better than Toyota can. Toyota should have been selling the authentic TNGA Yaris in the U.S. market if they wanted a Yaris here.

Last edited by KALISPEL II; 03-07-2022 at 12:14 PM.
KALISPEL II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 12:45 PM   #3
yarisbug

Drives: 2010 1.4 d4d
Yes I have no idea why someone would knowingly buy a re-badged car from a different company. Toyota knows Toyotas, they don't know what are normal Mazda quirks or BMW quirks or Subaru or any other brands. I bought a Yaris hatch (the real Toyota one) because I knew it was proven, cheap, reliable, and most of all still built by Toyota (in France mind you).

I wouldn't touch the Supra or the 86 with a 10 foot pole either.

I don't know if you are serious about suing, but why not take the car to Mazda service, have them fix it, and then sue Toyota for the bill to repair it correctly? I would think that's a slam dunk. And, then sell the car and don't make that mistake again.
yarisbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 06:36 AM   #4
IndestructibleYaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Get as much money as you can. I hope to be on the jury. Good luck
IndestructibleYaris is offline   Reply With Quote