Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-11-2007, 01:07 PM   #1
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback
The Official Old People's Yaris Thread

This thread is for us old-timers, 40 and over. Youngsters come here and read our advice LOL.

If youre older than 40 and appreciate your Yaris for what it is and (what it isn't) post your issues or thoughts here!

42, married with kid here and walk a thin line for what I have done and want to do with this car. Sometimes feel like an 18 year old in this thing however. Maybe good?

This site has a lot of young people modding out the Yaris, adding performance parts. I have enjoyed reading and seeing pictures of members rides and reading about applying e-brakes at 80 miles per hour and racing cops (this keeps me young i think!).

Im feeling mixed thoughts about my Yaris now....Its really embarrassing sitting at a red light and some 86 lime green Honda civic dude is eyeballing me.

Am I in the wrong demographic for this car?

Id love to hear from some older people here than myself on this. I still believe this car is going to be really popular with the over 50/60+ crowd just for grocery runs and around town cruising.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:36 PM   #2
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
Quote:
Originally Posted by redyaris View Post
Am I in the wrong demographic for this car?
YES.

Naw, just kidding! I'm not quite into your demo (yet), but I would say that Toyota's done an outstanding job creating a vehicle that is attractive to such a WIDE variety of people and needs.

Okay, I'll back out now and let the old timers have it.

~YR
Old 06-11-2007, 01:48 PM   #3
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
I'm 39, does that count? hehe

I need to take some pics of my newly lowered Yaris.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:58 PM   #4
petesimac

Drives: Yaris LB
Ahh, stop it! I'm old at 42? I just bought my metorite metallic LB manual two weeks ago and I am in love with my car! It's so light and nimble and peppy, especially when compared with my old car a 98 Subaru Forester -- it feels like I'm driving a brick without wheels. Old people unite! Buy a Yaris! Just no old women -- they've totally destroyed the cool factor of the VW Bug.
petesimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:17 PM   #5
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

"OUT OF MY WAY WHIPPERSNAPPERS!!! IM RUNNIN A GREDDY TI-C, AEM INTAKE, SPARCO BUCKETS, AND CHROME 20'S YOU LITTLE BASTARDS!!!'

Old 06-11-2007, 02:22 PM   #6
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I think you should change the membership requirement to 30+, as that's about the age you get over things like modding, boom boom, bling bling, rice, etc.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:27 PM   #7
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

I got 'hooked on mods' due to this site! This car is so easy to do stuff with its addictive...im just havin fun!!...but how much is enough for an old fart like me?

But hey I like PlayStation 2 like the kids do too!!!
Old 06-11-2007, 02:35 PM   #8
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
Yeah , I'm 40 also . My son just graduated HS . YeeHa ! Cool thing about being 40 : When a cop pulls you over , at first they address you as "Boy" . Then when they see your age its suddenly "SIR" The best thing about being 40 is sex with the 20 somethings . Most of the 20 somethings have NEVER had a real orgasm before , suddenly you are GOD
HTM Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:40 PM   #9
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTM Yaris View Post
Yeah , I'm 40 also . My son just graduated HS . YeeHa ! Cool thing about being 40 : When a cop pulls you over , at first they address you as "Boy" . Then when they see your age its suddenly "SIR" The best thing about being 40 is sex with the 20 somethings . Most of the 20 somethings have NEVER had a real orgasm before , suddenly you are GOD
Hmmm, I wasnt going to go there but since you did...stop hittin on your sons classmates!!!!
Old 06-11-2007, 02:48 PM   #10
ThunderStik

Drives: Toyota Tacoma
I have been thinking about buying one of these as a daily driver just to save gas, I drive about 70 hwy miles a day.

I have had a few hot cars and built a few more in my time (im 34). But when I see people talking about performance and perf mods I find it hilarious and sad at the same time.

Whats the use in modding a car that has 100hp? I mean really all your doing is lowering the resale value of the car.

If your worried about performance you should not even be here as there is no real performance to be had.

Oh yes add a turbo and get up to 30 more ponies and down to a 15 sec 1/4 mile ooohhh -aaahhhh. Its comical and a waste of time and money but all this is just my opinion.

And when they go to get rid of it they will actually get less for their modded car than for one that is bone stock.
ThunderStik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:00 PM   #11
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderStik View Post
I have been thinking about buying one of these as a daily driver just to save gas, I drive about 70 hwy miles a day.

I have had a few hot cars and built a few more in my time (im 34). But when I see people talking about performance and perf mods I find it hilarious and sad at the same time.

Whats the use in modding a car that has 100hp? I mean really all your doing is lowering the resale value of the car.

If your worried about performance you should not even be here as there is no real performance to be had.

Oh yes add a turbo and get up to 30 more ponies and down to a 15 sec 1/4 mile ooohhh -aaahhhh. Its comical and a waste of time and money but all this is just my opinion.

And when they go to get rid of it they will actually get less for their modded car than for one that is bone stock.
I agree with you for the most part...I bought my Yaris for a commuter car.

Its hard for me to justify ANYTHING 'performance' oriented that will affect my factory warranty and boost horsepower (which affects gas mileage). Its also causing me to dispense with some disposable income.

That being said, i do enjoy seeing the results of all this modding and reading Siphon magazine to see all the cool micro-car craze goin on even though Ill never be that hard-core.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:42 PM   #12
lostmind

Drives: 06 STi, 07 rav4, 07 yaris
I'm almost 30! woohoo!
lostmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:47 PM   #13
paradigm
o.O

Drives: 8
Lol i love old people. Seriously though, i see just as many 40+ people driving yaris' as i do people that're my age. Most drive sedans..... As for the modding part, meh, It'll never be insanely fast for the price but it'll always be fun.
paradigm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:14 PM   #14
Rizzo

Drives: 2007 5-Door Hatchback
I vote for a change of definition from "Old is 40+" to "Old is anyone who FEELS old when they hang out here." I've never felt so Grandma-ish!

I was giving some people a ride home from my writers' group the other week and a nineteen year old boy looked at the car as we approached and said, "Wow! Nice car!"

I said, "Yeah."
Rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:22 PM   #15
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
few more months 'til 30
Old 06-11-2007, 07:39 PM   #16
Thotprawsis

Drives: '07 Blazin' Blue LB
Well...44 this year. I love this car and could care less what anyone thinks of me and my car. I plan on lowering it a little, because i think it sits too high. As for the over all look, I'm actually in the process of designing a vinyl woody look. that along with some properly placed chrome should pull of a fun sporty look! I'll keep you posted as this project comes along.
By they way all my boys are 19 and older and on their owe. I'm married and the wife and I refuse to grow old...our bodies just make us look that way!
Thotprawsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:54 PM   #17
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
I'd like to change it to 50+!!!! except I'd probably be talking to myself.

I'm 56, and still laughin about the thread the other day where they were trying to help an old family member find a new car...he was 55????? What the heck do the younguns think...their dinky drys up and falls off at 32?

I've been married twice have 5 kids from 9 to 35!!!! and currently divorced (any gals 30 to 60 I'm available and still functional). Have 5 MR2's (2 parts cars), 4 RX7's (again 2 pc's),83 Celica, 47 and 48 Plymouth, 52 Ford Victoria, 46 Ford truck, 49 & 53 Chev truck, 87 Ford pickup, and Black Betty my Yaris (had to sell a few after the divorce but these I still have). Needless to say I'm a car nut and not necessarily a ricer in any form, but have had many more imports than American since the 70's.

Mod's on my Black Betty.....Baby Moons on silver steelies, Megan Lowering Springs, Cheata fake fur seat covers (my 9 yo picked out so I'm pretty proud of them), and signed up for Charles' intake. Performance is fine the way it is so not much more will be added except for maybe wide whites

Lots of old folks ask about BB, my Dad's 83 and loves it....he's not like me, he only has a car, a van, and a pickup (84 Mazda for milage). Kids (under 40) sometimes think I'm nuts,,,, I just hope their dinky lasts longer than 32!!!

Was hoping BB would last me until retirement but put 9,000 on in the 1st 3 months.....I'll keep rockin, just not in a chair...
Old 06-11-2007, 07:55 PM   #18
sambo42xa

Drives: 07 YARIS Automatic/LiftBac/Red
45 here, Wife and Rugrats too...........house, bills, bullshit at work, problems, etc. Trucks pretty much all my life. Traded my lAST truck in for the YARIS after I saw my buddy (50) who came over to show his off saying it's his commute vehicle. Well, I said to myself, the gas ($$$$$$) is killing me. I might as well do it now! I bought it and I now spend less $ for fuel which gives me still a little $ extra to pay............BILLS! Yeh, I got crap from work and friends when they saw it, BUT they are still paying more at the pump. As far as mods and tires and all the "goodies", my days are done with that. As you get OLDER you have to save your coins. I did all that stuff if my earlier years. You'll see!