Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-08-2019, 08:04 PM   #1
tientukos

Drives: Yaris xp90 1.4 d-4d
Question Bypassing AC compressor on 1nd-tv

Hi. I have a 2008 xp90 with 1ND-TV engine. It has been driven about 420000km and the ac compressor hasn't been working in the past few years. Today the clutch of the compressor (probably that) started making quite bad noise and I even broke the belt before getting to my garage.
The plastic pulley of the compressor has broken into little pieces and the serpentine belt is also broken. I checked my local auto parts store and they had two different belt lengths for 1nd-tv; 1250mm (for cars with ac) and 975mm (for cars without ac). I really don't need ac, nor do I want to spend hundreds of euros to repair the whole system. So could I just buy the shorter belt and keep on driving as if I never had air conditioning in my car?
I don't know if there is for example some differences in tensioners between models with and without compressors. Just buying the shorter belt would cost me a bit over ten euros. But if that doesn't work then I would have to buy all kinds of A/C equipment to my garage.
tientukos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 04:36 PM   #2
tientukos

Drives: Yaris xp90 1.4 d-4d
It seems like the shorter belt works just fine. I didn't have any problems with the water pump pulley even though there must be a bit less friction now.
tientukos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:08 PM   #3
Brighton
Knower of little

Drives: None
I don't know if anyone offers it for our engines but I've seen them before for other cars. There are bypass pulleys that bolt in place of the factory AC compressor. So you'd just remove the ac compressor, the new pulley sits in it's place and you can run a factory length belt. If you are handy or have access to a machine shop, this is something that could be made from scratch.
Brighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 03:38 AM   #4
Mindinnen

Drives: Toyota
Yes, you can. In fact, if you buy a good repair kit, it'll work very well. But in any case, it's better to buy the original compressor repair kit and rebuild it. After that, your engine will definitely not have any leaks.
The belt will last longer and is undoubtedly cheaper. (I also don't recommend using some Chinese repair "kits" because they are probably even more dangerous to your engine). If you don't know where to buy a repair kit and need help, call your dealer and ask them to advise you. Daikin Toshiba Fujitsu LG will be preferred. Note the difference in length between the pulleys.

Last edited by Mindinnen; 10-29-2021 at 05:33 AM.
Mindinnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 03:52 AM   #5
CrimsonEclipse

Drives: .
Shorter belt, shouldn't need an extra pulley
CrimsonEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote