Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
CKaelin

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB 5 speed
Water Leaking into car!

I did a search on leak and leaking and didn't see a thread about this. My 2008 Yaris LB is leaking water under the glove compartment when it rains. I am making an appointment at the dealer tomorrow morning. Anyone had any problems like this? This car has never been in an accident and I would consider it in Excellent condition for an 08.

Thanks in advance!

My other ride's a Gixxer!
CKaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Some existng threads.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...assenger+water

There are a few more out there as well.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
CKaelin

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB 5 speed
Thanks

My other ride's a Gixxer!
CKaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
otterhere

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3-door Meteorite
I'm having the same problem with my 2008. I THOUGHT it was because when the body shop replaced that door panel, they didn't put it back together quite right (there's a slight gap; have been meaning to bring it in to be fixed, but it means a whole day off).

So where's the water getting in, or is it just general "moisture"?

I'm beginning to think the Yaris will be Toyota's FAIL car; why do you never see it advertised in commercials or print?
otterhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #5
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm beginning to think the Yaris will be Toyota's FAIL car; why do you never see it advertised in commercials or print?
The salesman told me they don't spend money on advertising here in the USA because it's basically like a "loss leader" at the grocery store...just to get buyer in the door, hopefully a young buyer who will stick with Toyota the rest of his/her life. There's not as much mark-up on a Yaris.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
The salesman told me they don't spend money on advertising here in the USA because it's basically like a "loss leader" at the grocery store...just to get buyer in the door, hopefully a young buyer who will stick with Toyota the rest of his/her life. There's not as much mark-up on a Yaris.
^^^^^ This
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
I'm having the same problem with my 2008. I THOUGHT it was because when the body shop replaced that door panel, they didn't put it back together quite right (there's a slight gap; have been meaning to bring it in to be fixed, but it means a whole day off).

So where's the water getting in, or is it just general "moisture"?

No offense intended, but I would guess the reason Wee Yari posted links to 3 threads is because this subject has been discussed ad nauseam in other threads with CTScott providing the cause and the remedy. On one thread CTScott provided the cause and the solution each TWICE within the same thread without acknowledgement! (the thread just continued!).....Cause = Toyota created a place for a cabin air filter within the ventilation system BUT (at least re the U.S.) Toyota was too cheap to include the actual filter stock from the factory.......Remedy = Buy a cabin air filter and either put it in or have it put in.......CT, please correct me if I have erred re trying to repeat the ultimate point of your concise, top quality posts on this subject.....Too cheap=my two cents. CT is more diplomatic than I am!
Old 08-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
nookandcrannycar

^^^^^ oops...WeeYari not Wee Yari. Sorry WeeYari.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #9
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
Does the 2012 Yaris have a cabin filter?
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti View Post
Does the 2012 Yaris have a cabin filter?
Yes, and it is included from the factory. I believe 2012 is the first year the cabin air filter was included from the factory. Someone at 'HQ' must have done an analysis re overall cost (all areas) of not including the filter with new delivery versus including the filter with new delivery and including it finally won out. The OP on this thread has a 2008 Yaris.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #11
matti

Thank you. I have a 2012 Yaris L and I went through the maintenance guide and I didn't see anything referring to changing the cabin filter. Perhaps I missed it?
Old 08-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #12
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti View Post
Thank you. I have a 2012 Yaris L and I went through the maintenance guide and I didn't see anything referring to changing the cabin filter. Perhaps I missed it?
I did a search on the DuckDuckGo search engine and I think the parameters were : 2012 Yaris Cabin Air Filter. Several of the hits indicated that the part number is the same for 2006 through 2012, so I imagine the housing is still the same...but I don't know if the housing is still in the same location as through Model Year 2011. I would think it would be. I've never located it for my own needs, but I know somewhere on Yarisworld you can download a file that comprises the Owner's Manual (at least through 2011 Model Year) and you could look at that and see if it is in the same location on your car. I regularly get coupon brochures from various local Toyota dealers and a coupon for the cabin air filter itself and the labor (together) is always either $47.95 or $48.95 for both together.

I've never had a problem with my empty, filterless housing in nearly 223,000 miles and, given all the problems so many have had, in my particular case I'm just going to leave my housing empty/filterless.

I searched the Toyota site as well (back when I did the DuckDuckGo search) and if you put the cursor over the cars and minivans label a picture of each car will come up. Move the cursor over the picture and then click on Features and Specs. Then click on Interior and the first feature listed is Air Conditioning with filter. I clicked on all of the Yaris specific tabs during the 2011 Model Year and I don't remember seeing the 'with filter' as part of the Air Conditioning label. Happy Locating/Familiarizing.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I did a search on the DuckDuckGo search engine and I think the parameters were : 2012 Yaris Cabin Air Filter. Several of the hits indicated that the part number is the same for 2006 through 2012, so I imagine the housing is still the same...but I don't know if the housing is still in the same location as through Model Year 2011. I would think it would be. I've never located it for my own needs, but I know somewhere on Yarisworld you can download a file that comprises the Owner's Manual (at least through 2011 Model Year) and you could look at that and see if it is in the same location on your car. I regularly get coupon brochures from various local Toyota dealers and a coupon for the cabin air filter itself and the labor (together) is always either $47.95 or $48.95 for both together.

I've never had a problem with my empty, filterless housing in nearly 223,000 miles and, given all the problems so many have had, in my particular case I'm just going to leave my housing empty/filterless.

I searched the Toyota site as well (back when I did the DuckDuckGo search) and if you put the cursor over the cars and minivans label a picture of each car will come up. Move the cursor over the picture and then click on Features and Specs. Then click on Interior and the first feature listed is Air Conditioning with filter. I clicked on all of the Yaris specific tabs during the 2011 Model Year and I don't remember seeing the 'with filter' as part of the Air Conditioning label. Happy Locating/Familiarizing.
It is identical to the 06-11 Yaris. Pop the passenger glove box and the cabin air filter housing is to the left. Squeeze the tabs to release the cover and the filter it right there.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:59 PM   #14
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
It is identical to the 06-11 Yaris. Pop the passenger glove box and the cabin air filter housing is to the left. Squeeze the tabs to release the cover and the filter it right there.
Great! Thank you!
Old 08-14-2012, 11:30 PM   #15
The Limo

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
And Toyota Canada recommends you change it every 16,000 Km (10,000 miles)
Roy
The Limo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #16
matti

Thank you. I looked at my owner's manual and it says "the air conditioning filter must be changed regularly" and "inspect and replace the air conditioning filter according to the maintenance schedule."

However, I went through the maintenance schedule and it says nothing about the air conditioning filter. I suppose I'll just change it whenever it seems I'm having trouble with air flow/ventilation?
Old 08-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #17
otterhere

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3-door Meteorite
I, too, check the maintenance schedule and have seen NOTHING about changing the a/c filter; if it has to be done, why not list it there? Ugh, this car! BTW, my auto body guy says the ill-fitting interior parts of the door (which he fixed on the spot) have nothing to do with what looks like "water marks" all over the dash and doors; it's almost "mottled."

Any ideas???
otterhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
I, too, check the maintenance schedule and have seen NOTHING about changing the a/c filter; if it has to be done, why not list it there? Ugh, this car! BTW, my auto body guy says the ill-fitting interior parts of the door (which he fixed on the spot) have nothing to do with what looks like "water marks" all over the dash and doors; it's almost "mottled."

Any ideas???
The AC filter change interval really depends on how much you use the blower and how clean the air is around you. It is probably worth checking every 3 to 6 months, but if it still looks clean it really doesn't need to be replaced. The one in my 09 I have only changed twice since I bought the car in October of 2008 and both times it really wasn't bad. In comparison, the new project Yaris that I recently acquired lived in the New York City area and the cabin air filter that I pulled out of it was literally black and nearly plugged up.