Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-14-2020, 01:01 PM   #1
ngrundtisch

Drives: 2007 yaris
trd springs help

Hello new to this forum, but after attempting to search I am scratching my head..

I am trying to fix up a 07 Yaris for my sisters first car for when she passes her road test.
The car sat for the last year with everything shut down most of the last year in western NY and the car had a few cracked springs. I ordered kyb strut plus for the fronts and then noticed one of the rear springs were cracked as well.
The dealer told me that rear springs were 130 a each and would have to be shipped in, and no one had a listing for them at the parts shop.
I looked on line and saw that some dealers were selling the trd spring set for 180 for all for corners so ordered those along with rear swaybar after looking through this forum and seeing it helped with wind resistance at highway speeds.

When i went to install the trd springs on the kyb struts, it seems like the bottom perch tappers away super quickly and the spring wants to cock to side. when i put ever thing together the op mount seems to not line up flush.

For the moment i threw the kyb springs back on the front and moved on to replacing the brakes. I put the trd springs on the struts i took off the car and it seems a hair better, but still cocked to the side a bit at the top.

I know im getting a bit frustrated working out in snow, rain, and cold, but am i missing something silly? Does the mount even out once its loaded? Is the lower perch different on these kyb strut plus, or am i missing a lower bushing to make spring seat better?

KIMG0734.jpg

KIMG0735.jpg

KIMG0736.jpg

KIMG0737.jpg
ngrundtisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 02:11 PM   #2
ngrundtisch

Drives: 2007 yaris
KIMG0738.jpg

KIMG0741.jpg

KIMG0742.jpg

Ok took it back apart again to show up spring wants to sit unassisted.
I can manual press the bearing into the plate with my body weight, but if i do and reassemble the bearing no long wants to turn by hand force.
Is that incorrect or is it in actuality just acting as a race for the rubber mount tops to act as the mount on the strut tower.
Im second guessing myself so much because the kyb strut plus seems to self center its self with the bearing in the metal strut plate, and i belive it still turns when assembled

sorry if i am being dumb here, but this floating mount is a lot different than any of the predominantly Nissans I've worked on, my nismo suspension seemed a lot more straight forward if it was right or not.
ngrundtisch is offline   Reply With Quote