Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-22-2009, 10:49 PM   #1
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Better pay that Cell Phone Bill!

Quote:
Sheriff Sgt. Ron Clapper and firefighters found the man about 1 a.m. after 11 hours of searching in an area just north of Augusta, including Manfull Orchards, where there is a Verizon cell phone tower.

Williams said he attempted to use the man’s cell phone signal to locate him, but the man was behind on his phone bill and the Verizon operator refused to connect the signal unless the sheriff’s department agreed to pay the overdue bill. After some disagreement, Williams agreed to pay $20 on the phone bill in order to find the man. But deputies discovered the man just as Williams was preparing to make arrangements for the payment.
http://www.timesreporter.com/homepag...11-hour-search

Somehow I just can't see this being a good thing for Verizon... even as a shareholder (which I'm not) this wouldn't make for good public relations. Saving someone's life would have done the company a good turn, instead they look petty and cheap.

Please.... no diatribes about "capitalism", or I'll quote Solzhenitsyn.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:11 PM   #2
mr9865
$10.25/hr frying chicken

Drives: 2012 Yaris L
Maybe a Pay Phone for next time for him
mr9865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:59 PM   #3
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Please.... no diatribes about "capitalism"
Capitalism and apathy don't always go hand in hand, but the larger a corporation is allowed to become the more apathetic it seems to get. Unchecked capitalism is what allows metacorporations to exist and I don't know anyone that can name a single metacorporation that they just can't live without.

In this case a single cellular bill, or even just $20 of it, was worth more to Verizon than a human life, and more than a peace officer's direct request. I hope they get the holy bajeebus sued out of them as that seems to be the only thing that even hits a metacorporation's radar these days.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:25 AM   #4
GeneW
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
Capitalism and apathy don't always go hand in hand, but the larger a corporation is allowed to become the more apathetic it seems to get. Unchecked capitalism is what allows metacorporations to exist and I don't know anyone that can name a single metacorporation that they just can't live without.
Verizon, Brian, is a public utility and is tightly controlled by Government agencies at the State and Federal levels. FCC and many many state public utility commissions, plus oversight by Congress and numerous states legislature.

A more publicly responsible company might have had more latitude to be nicer than this "Partnership between government and industry". Higher profit margins to be generous and customer relation concerns, for example.

What do utilities care about public opinion? They're "locked in". Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
In this case a single cellular bill, or even just $20 of it, was worth more to Verizon than a human life, and more than a peace officer's direct request. I hope they get the holy bajeebus sued out of them as that seems to be the only thing that even hits a metacorporation's radar these days.
You may be confusing the responses of a single operator and billing service with the policies of an entire Corporation. I suspect that you are either self employed, Brian, or work for a small firm. I say this because if you worked for a medium to large Corporation you'd know how fluid policies can be on some middle and upper levels, while on "lower" levels middle management is terribly risk aversive and thus will not "take chances" like letting "overdue" customers go for "free". I agree that's not a wise policy but that's their policy.

The ones making the decision are disassociated from the people on the ground, and the person talking to the people on the ground is not making a decision. Decision making I'm sure was kept to "management". Too bad that they issue policy directives, emails and such. It's going to be easy to ID who made this policy, or failed to make it.

These clowns go before government boards many times a year to argue rates and rules. They're basically partners of the Government, given a charter to have a near monopoly in exchange for obeying the Man's edicts and not "gouging" the public. A partnership between Government and Industry.

Given the absence of "rant" I'll spare the board any bed time stories courtesy of Uncle Alexander.

Gene

Last edited by GeneW; 05-23-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:28 AM   #5
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
not getting lost > not paying your cell bill
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:55 AM   #6
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Quote:
Williams said he attempted to use the man’s cell phone signal to locate him, but the man was behind on his phone bill and the Verizon operator refused to connect the signal unless the sheriff’s department agreed to pay the overdue bill.
Isn't that technically an interference with an emergency? It'd be like traffic not pulling over for the ambulance in the rear-view mirror

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:50 AM   #7
GeneW
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by k r a y z e e . j o j o View Post
Isn't that technically an interference with an emergency? It'd be like traffic not pulling over for the ambulance in the rear-view mirror
In way, except that Verizon wasn't "interfering" as much as refusing to cooperate. It's more like a Tow Truck refusing to come to an accident because they won't get paid to remove the car - except of course that they can get a Mechanic's Lien against the wreckage.

As a heavy duty Capitalist I can't complain about Verizon's response. It's their time and money. "Compassion" can and is abused by scumbags who want free rides, which is why the Operator was told by her or his supervisor to say "No" to ANYONE who called. "NO EXCEPTIONS" is just that, no exceptions. That was probably their "policy", and people who don't enforce Policy get fired.

I'm not annoyed at the Operator but at Verizon Management, which didn't have a policy in place to deal with such a contingency. This can't be the first time that a Sheriff, LEO or someone else asked them for such a hook up. Such an attitude shows a lack of flexibility and brains, something Capitalists need today to fend in a tough market. Being fixated on rigid systems is rigor mortis. A good system must push decision making down and infuse a sense of mission into every player, from the CEO to the people on the line and even the custodial services. Most of all with people who deal with the public. That Operator should have had the latitude to help that Sheriff and then settle the accounts later on.

A good capitalist tries to please the customer. This "No ticket, no laundry" attitude is going to harden a lot of hearts out there against Verizon. Customers of Verizon (such as myself AND my employer) will wonder why we're paying all these kinky fees and surcharges for "emergency" but then hear that Operators are letting people die in the wilderness because they were late on their bills. Everyone is late on their bills from time to time, is that cause to let them die? To me a late bill is proof that someone is a customer, so take care of the emergency now and settle it later. Put that in a policy so that middle management and operators can obey it. Better still, let them make the call on the spot so that they can help customers.

Gene
Old 05-23-2009, 11:09 AM   #8
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
A good system must push decision making down and infuse a sense of mission into every player, from the CEO to the people on the line and even the custodial services. Most of all with people who deal with the public. That Operator should have had the latitude to help that Sheriff and then settle the accounts later on.Gene
never gonna happen. sorry that i don't have more to add to this thread but i just didn't want anyone thinking that this was an actual possibility.
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote