Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-04-2010, 10:23 AM   #1
dean_park

Drives: 2011 VW Golf TDI
DRL to city/aux fog/LED

I like the idea of DRLs... but I really don't like the factory DRL in the Yaris.
What I've done in the past on my RSX-s is add a relay to the city light, so when the ON position is enabled, the city light in the high beam housing was enabled.
For my Element, I used the same relay, but added an 8W bayonet style bulb to the housing for the H4 bulb (city light add-on). It works OK, but a little dim.

The Yaris has the 10V going to the H4, but I'd really like to make it go to something else, like the small city light in the headlight housing or to a set of LED fogs. I wouldn't want the fogs to do anything else, but turn on when the DRLs normally do. Is there a wire that can be removed from near the headlight or DRL module and routed somewhere else? I assume there is a place where the 10V+ from the DRL ties into the regular 12V+ to go to the H4 bulb.
dean_park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
That's a really good idea. Paging the Yaris electrical God CTScott...
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:55 PM   #3
dean_park

I thought about PMing CTScott directly, but figured I'd throw it out here to see. I was planning to do all my electrical mods at the same time (DIY cruise control, CTScott Yargauge and either DRL disable or DRL relocating to another light).
Old 03-04-2010, 10:51 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The DRL feed merges with the headlight feed at the under dash fuse panel. The merge occurs under the fuse panel, so it's not easy to get at. You could also separate it at the DRL module itself. The blue wire can be snipped and used to feed some other bulb.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:22 PM   #5
dean_park

Thanks CTScott!! I think I'll probably cut it at the DRL module if it's easier to access there now that I know which to use! Can I use this directly to the bulb or does it need to go through a fuse first (I just don't know where this wire is in the circuit (up or downstream of the fuse))? Or should I just use the blue wire to power a relay and use the relay output (fused) to bulbs?
Old 03-05-2010, 07:54 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_park View Post
Thanks CTScott!! I think I'll probably cut it at the DRL module if it's easier to access there now that I know which to use! Can I use this directly to the bulb or does it need to go through a fuse first (I just don't know where this wire is in the circuit (up or downstream of the fuse))? Or should I just use the blue wire to power a relay and use the relay output (fused) to bulbs?
The DRL output acts as the ground side of the bulb feed. The headlight bulbs are directly powered from the H-LP RH and H-LP LH fuses and then ground is switch to turn the bulbs on or off. The DRL module pulses the ground to make the bulb less bright.

So, you could use the DRL output directly to your own bulb as the ground, and then feed 12V from a fused feed, like the two headlight circuits.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:25 AM   #7
dean_park

wow... I was way off. This makes it easier though since it's a ground source, so I know I def need to fuse the +12V side.

Thanks again, CTScott!
Old 09-12-2010, 08:54 PM   #8
robkay

Drives: Hatch
I have a question for Mr. Scott. I have an '07 hatch with OEM DRL's. I wanted them and like them, but every now and then there are situations where I wish I could switch the darned things off.

Could a person just insert a switch in that blue wire line, or is there more to it than that? Any further input/caveats would be appreciated, too, if you have time.

Thank you in advance for your reply and expertise.
robkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:42 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkay View Post
I have a question for Mr. Scott. I have an '07 hatch with OEM DRL's. I wanted them and like them, but every now and then there are situations where I wish I could switch the darned things off.

Could a person just insert a switch in that blue wire line, or is there more to it than that? Any further input/caveats would be appreciated, too, if you have time.

Thank you in advance for your reply and expertise.
A switch inline with the blue wire would definitely do the trick.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:03 AM   #10
robkay

Drives: Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
A switch inline with the blue wire would definitely do the trick.
Thank you so much!

I'm going to PM you about another matter which I hope you will be interested in.
robkay is offline   Reply With Quote