Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-20-2010, 10:49 AM   #1
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
Inception (movie)

I'm surprised no one has talked about this one on here.

Whats your thoughts on it?

I just saw it yesterday afternoon. About half-way into the movie i started to pick up the movie, before that it was just understanding the concept of what they do in the movie.

The ending was pretty twisted, tried to rethink it all, but i got lost somewhere.
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
I loved it, one hell of a mind twister :D

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:14 AM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
loved it. mind-bending, thought-provoking (pun intended)

THUMBS UP!

Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Def. buying this on DVD, and not just because they were riding the Shinkansen (bullet train).

was there anything AFTER the credits? i left when the credits began to roll.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
Rain
help! my Yaris shrunk!

Drives: 12 Hot Lava iQ/07 Jade Vios
I saw the movie. I was confused for a bit then started following the story.
Apparently, if you observe the shoes, they change in every dream. (heard from KTLA this morning)
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:48 AM   #6
YarisPR

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Great Movie! I think it has an IQ requirement
After it I felt the same way after I took the College Board/SAT/MCAT mentally tired/stressed
Old 07-20-2010, 11:56 AM   #7
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
yeah my brain hurt when I left the theater :p

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:13 PM   #8
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
that a leonardo d. type of movies... i think hes dark..very dark specially not showing up for his own awards night for titanic...lolz
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:23 PM   #9
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
SPOILER ALERT

This is what someone posted on audizine, I didn't see it yet, but it seems like he did a good job summing it up for those who might not get it

Quote:
cobbs died 4 times. 1st level: drowned, missed kickback, 2nd level: elevator death 3rd level: building explosion death 4th level: stabbed by wife. he missed all his kickbacks so he couldn't get back to level 1 before the sedative wears off. therefore, he's in eternal limbo (any death in dreams while under sedation in reality will result in you going down another dream level. you die of old age, you go down another level. you kill yourself, you go down another level. )

here's my take on the film:

cobbs was always in limbo, even at the beginning of the film.
let's review some of the rules in inception...

1. A totem only works for its owner. and it only works if you're NOT the architect (and you do not let the architect touch/know about your totem).... because being the architect means you can change the physics. if your totem is a dice and only you know the exact weight and feel of it (and you're not the architect), then you can confirm whether or not you're in a dream. however, if you are the architect, then you would not be able to confirm whether or not you're in a dream since your subconscious can change things so that it seems like they're real. If you let the architect touch or know about your totem, the architect can also make it so that your totem seems real in the dream. this is one of the reasons why cobbs refuses to be the architect anymore because he thinks he won't be able to confirm whether he's still in a dream or not.

If not under sedation in real life:
1. you can go up a level by either killing yourself or your body in the upper level experiences free fall and then a sudden jolt to wake you up

if under sedation in real life:
1. you go down a level if you die
2. you can only go up a level if your body in the upper level experiences free fall and then a jolt.
3. levels are consecutively linked. ie. free fall in level 1 will be experienced in level 2 but not in level 3. free fall in level 2 will be experienced in level 3 but not in level 4.
4. time experienced is multiplied as you go down each level. limbo is where you have already reached a point where turning back is impossible because your body in the previous level does not have enough time to experience free fall before you have already reached old age and died in this current level.... resulting in you going down a further level.

under these rules, here's what i think:
cobbs and his wife went under sedation.... he was the architect/populator while she was the target/dreamer. they were addicted to the dream state and lived a lifetime there once... growing to old age and then died.. which results in them going down a further level (reset to being young again).
cobb's wife finds out about limbo because she has her totem but decided to not tell cobb by hiding her totem in her safe. the reason for this is.... if you remember the rule on the totem.. it only works for its owner. by hiding the totem away, she will not have to show cobbs that the world is still a dream. cobbs cracks into her safe, spins her totem, and then tells her what he knows. she already knows there's no way out (because no one is available in the upper dream levels to force their bodies to experience free fall, kickback), so she goes along with his plans of suicide by train (they are young in this dream state. they died of old age in the previous dream state. this is why you see them dying young here) since she already knows it won't make a difference... but at least he'll think they will have escaped into the real world after this suicide. they then wake up in their house together (she's sad coz she already knows they've actually gone down another level), but he thinks they're in the real world.
his wife goes crazy from living this life of knowing the truth while he doesn't so she attempts to make him commit another suicide to show him the truth... but unfortunately, he doesn't follow her, so she goes down a further dream level while he stays in the current one (ie. they are separated)
he thinks he has killed her with inception... and in his grief, he decides to sedate himself so he can dream of her (but in reality, she's already waiting down there.....)
as the architect, he can decide what each level looks like. he thinks his wife in his dreams is fake... and that they're just all images/shadows of his memories... but actually, it is his real wife (and hence why she screams 'you can't lock me down here' when he and abby takes the elevator back up... coz she has no control over the level layouts.. so she's basically locked in the level that he imagines)
this is also why she tries to tell him to stay with her because she wants to be with him but that isn't possible if he goes back up again
now, why is it that every time he goes down a level, she tries to sabotage his efforts? i think its because if he dies in her level, he'll drop another level below her and then he'll be in true limbo relative to her (conversely, she isn't affected by the "die and go down a level" rule if she's one level below him.... reason? she's not the architect. you can't die or age if your setting isn't available. your setting is only available when the architect is present.)
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #10
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

sick analysis ^
It makes a bit sense, but I'd like to watch it again w/ less people in the theater.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:04 PM   #11
contraband831
El Huevo

Drives: 2007 Liftback
sounds good i will need to check this one out...

contraband831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:19 PM   #12
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
i liked the movie, but i have to say that they were holding your hand all the way through the movie. It was a bit predictable and they explain everything a bit too well. the opening scene made me think it was a Titanic sequel (hehehe)
They were just holding your hand Pavel, no one elses. Shouldn't have gave them your hand dude!

@ Ric - See it, I guarantee your family and will love it. You will keep thinking about it even after returning from the theater.
P.S. I wanted to do a NCVC meet, but wasn't sure how many would go to see something that didn't make sense in the trailers...
Old 07-22-2010, 07:39 PM   #13
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
The movie was awesome, I loved it, but the ending pissed me off, figuratively speaking
Old 07-22-2010, 07:51 PM   #14
contraband831
El Huevo

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
@ Ric - See it, I guarantee your family and will love it. You will keep thinking about it even after returning from the theater.
P.S. I wanted to do a NCVC meet, but wasn't sure how many would go to see something that didn't make sense in the trailers...
yeah I'm going to check it out, later today

contraband831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:34 AM   #15
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
I liked it. I didn't expect it would rock my world but it was highly entertaining, based on a novel concept, w/ killer special effects, a bit of a mind bender with a sci-fi slant... it had me on the edge of my seat !!

Nice way to spend a Saturday night. 4 stars!
(a long movie, though, so be prepared)

tomorrow, I'm gonna read the lengthy wiki entry about it...
Old 08-08-2010, 04:38 AM   #16
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
T

I would have gone (timing permitting). Next time!
Old 08-09-2010, 02:03 PM   #17
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
i kinna got the whole concept but cant figure out how he got back at the end..from limbo.. was it the top?
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:34 PM   #18
The Spectacle

Drives: 08 BSP LB