Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-18-2009, 05:55 PM   #1
stellar

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Loose aux input?

I'm having problems with my aux jack in my 2007 liftback. I use it to play my iPod touch, and there's a bit of static when listening to my music. The problem seems to go away by adjusting the aux plug (twisting it, or holding it a certain way), but it doesn't stay that way. I'm thinking that the aux port is a hair too big, so the plug doesn't fit firmly in, and has room to move around.

I've tried a couple different cables, but I get the same result.

Is there anything I can do to tighten up the aux jack, or will I end up buying an ipod adapter to go right from the stereo to the ipod?

Thanks.
stellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:54 PM   #2
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
hmm... plug might be worn, if so thats the reason for the static... bad connections... gunk on the inside of the jack would also cause bad connections. might need a new jack
Old 09-23-2009, 02:53 PM   #3
AVIC-U310BT

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Do you plug the iPod into the lighter port to power it while using the AUX port? Does the problem only occur when it is powered from the lighter? If your answer is yes to both of these, you may need a ground loop isolator. If not, I'm not sure how to proceed other than to double-check your wiring.
AVIC-U310BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:35 PM   #4
posaunemeister

Drives: 2008 Yaris S LB - MM
Stellar,

I've been experiencing this issues ever since I first purchased my Yaris, too. It gets to be pretty annoying. Sometimes the static goes on for so long that I began to think it's part of the music until I accidentally bump into the jack and the static goes away. I think that Toyota definitely made the aux jack a little too wide. Maybe I will replace the stock CD player in the future and buy one that has a built-in aux jack.
posaunemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:45 AM   #5
songa

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan (Black)
anyone have a solution to this? my yaris is doing this now and its extremely annoying, especially since i am an audio guy!
songa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:12 AM   #6
jedwards

Drives: 2011 Yaris Hatchback
Songa,

Any luck? I just bought a Yaris (first post!) and unfortunately I didn't check the aux input before buying...it has this problem too. I don't think it's a loose jack though. I've had a 1/8" jack on my laptop become loose over the years and it behaves much differently: you can feel the plug jiggle around in the jack easily (I can't move it around at all in my aux jack), and depending on where you hold it the audio is fully connected, missing a channel, or off completely.

Anyway, I'm taking the car in to get Skylink installed today and I'll talk to the service guy about the problem, and let you know what he says.
jedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:30 AM   #7
jedwards

Drives: 2011 Yaris Hatchback
Well, I figured out what the problem was for me. I was playing music from my laptop, and whenever I plug it in to the cigarette lighter (via power inverter) the crackling noise starts. When I unplug the power inverter, no static. I'm still not sure exactly what the problem is though. At first I thought that the power adapter was producing a poor AC signal that was affecting my laptop's audio output. But using headphones with my laptop plugged into a power inverter in another car, I didn't notice any static. Maybe the cigarette lighter in my Yaris interferes with the amplifier? I'll keep testing it...
jedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #8
Lil Abner

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Manual
The problems is what you noticed, the power inverter or charger you plugged into the cig lighter. The power inverter is creating a ground loop in the car on the AUX input. The way to fix it is add a ground loop isolator to the input power on your cig lighter, or get a better power inverter. Don't worry, this is a common problem on MANY cars.
Lil Abner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #9
hayden

Drives: asd
My aux jack has worked fine for years but recently it sounds like it's only playing one channel (I can hear background music, but no vocals, it's weird). I'm guessing the aux jack is too loose or something? Is it possible to replace it?
hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:36 PM   #10
Lil Abner

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Manual
So, I grabbed my AUX jack I have sitting in a closet, and opened it up. It looks like the same jack used on most of the Toyotas I've played with. But when I look it up online, a new one goes for a sickening $85!!

I looked around through my electronics resources, and I can't find a replacement plug that would fit in the holes in the circuit board. So that idea is shot!

The only thing I can think of is taking a q-tip, dip it in rubbing alcohol, and pushing it in the plug to try cleaning the contacts. It's very possible they are just dirty. If they are dirty, you'll have to spend a few minutes with the rubbing alcohol and q-tip to really break-down the crud on the contacts. It's worth giving it a shot, and letting us know.
Lil Abner is offline   Reply With Quote