Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-11-2015, 01:35 PM   #1
ivanstepul

Drives: 08 hatchback
Yaris VS MX5 showdown

My brother just got a 2003 mx5 6 speed manual and I had the brilliant idea of going to a solo event to prove which one is better. What do you guys think, which car will come out on top.

Yaris mods
intake
obx header
exhaust
trd short shifter
tein springs
17 inch wheels with 205/45/17 performance tires
weight reduction -100lbs (rear seats and spare tire+jack)

MX5 mods
none its stock 2003 special edition with 6 speed manual
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2003-Mazda-MX-5-Miata-Special-Edition-2.jpg (205.0 KB, 296 views)
File Type: jpg side2.jpg (168.1 KB, 282 views)
ivanstepul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 02:13 PM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
The correct way to do that is to have the same driver run both cars (i.e. the Stig) on the same track. Preferably one that the driver is already familiar with and can consistently make the same runs (within a 10th of a second or so) with any given vehicle. Otherwise there are too many variables to be able to declare a "best" vehicle.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 02:32 PM   #3
428CobraJet

Drives: '09 Yaris 3dr, 13 F150rcsb 5.0
The best vehicle? THE MIGHTY YARIS, NATURALLY!
Old 04-11-2015, 03:04 PM   #4
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
The Miata is a brilliant little car. It's quick and incredibly nimble. The manual shift and clutch are perhaps the best I've ever driven. If only Mazda would wrap the Miata in hatchback clothing!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:15 PM   #5
ivanstepul

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
The correct way to do that is to have the same driver run both cars (i.e. the Stig) on the same track. Preferably one that the driver is already familiar with and can consistently make the same runs (within a 10th of a second or so) with any given vehicle. Otherwise there are too many variables to be able to declare a "best" vehicle.
This is going to be some brother to brother competition so its going to be a close one. Im driving the yaris and my bro will man the mx5. I know its going to come down to skill and both of us have never done a solo event. But last time he bet me $50 that I couldn't beat 16 sec in a quarter and I did that so. This is going to be interesting. I will post video and pics after the showdown happens.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:16 PM   #6
ivanstepul

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428CobraJet View Post
The best vehicle? THE MIGHTY YARIS, NATURALLY!
Hells yea
Old 04-13-2015, 08:32 AM   #7
4MPG

Drives: black 5spd hatch yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanstepul View Post
My brother just got a 2003 mx5 6 speed manual and I had the brilliant idea of going to a solo event to prove which one is better. What do you guys think, which car will come out on top.

Yaris mods
intake
obx header
exhaust
trd short shifter
tein springs

MX5 mods
I'm sorry, but this isn't even going to be remotely close unless youre a pro driver and your bro doesn't have a clue.

The MX5 wheelhouse is the track, the shorter and tighter the track the better.
4MPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:27 AM   #8
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Drives: 07 silver sedan
Mx-5 will likely have better lap times, but as OP asked, which will come out on top? I'd say the one who can probably keep up driving the technically inferior car, AND pack a tasty lunch, change of shirt, tools, an extra set of tires, floor jack, a subwoofer and maybe a girlfriend for the ride home.
sheekeebut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:46 PM   #9
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Which car will come out on top? The miata. As someone who races against them on a regular basis, there is no question the miata is the faster autoX car. That being said, the yaris is easier for a novice to drive and if it has much better tires, may win.

If you want to be competitive, co-drive each car and then you'll know who is the better driver (and have fun).
Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:11 PM   #10
Jcp123

Drives: '00 Echo
In sporting terms, the Miata being a purpose-built little speedster, it will obviously outshine the Yaris, a purpose-built economy car.

It terms of what makes a better DD, the Yaris' fuel economy and hatchback versatility will put the Miata to shame.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:44 PM   #11
sheekeebut
Minimalist

ivanstepul, if you want to make it fair for the cars, you have to drive the mx-5. Judging from your setup, I bet you can smoke your own car in less than two laps' practice.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:52 PM   #12
ivanstepul

I agree the yaris is definitely the under dog in this situation. I will try my best and not destroy my car over the day. Any suggestions for first time beginners. What tools to bring and what to expect can go wrong with the car, so I can be ready ahead of time.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:57 AM   #13
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Suggestions: enjoy yourselves. if you've got a wager going, remember how much repairs might cost trying to win it
What tools: wheel and tire stuff

Do you left foot brake? Autocross would be a perfect time to use it. If you don't, there's no time to learn it before going against your brother.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:16 AM   #14
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:

Yaris mods
intake
obx header
exhaust
trd short shifter
tein springs

MX5 mods
All of the upgrades in your list will be killed by the 17" wheels, to big and heavy, a 15x7 with a 195 or 205 would be quicker. That said, none of it matters, a Yaris with bolts ons like you describe will never beat a stock MX-5. Look no further than the Solo Natls results, STF can't touch ES or CS, and that is what you are effectively trying to do.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:28 AM   #15
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Yea, what Jason said. Even if you are going by Pax. His pax is better than your pax. By removing your rear seat that will put you in SMF. Unless the locals don't really care, then they will probably let you run STF.

Which performance tires are you using? The 17" wheel is going to hurt your acceleration pretty bad.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:03 PM   #16
ivanstepul

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheekeebut View Post
Suggestions: enjoy yourselves. if you've got a wager going, remember how much repairs might cost trying to win it
What tools: wheel and tire stuff

Do you left foot brake? Autocross would be a perfect time to use it. If you don't, there's no time to learn it before going against your brother.
I dont left foot brake but i know how to heel toe a lil bit
Old 04-14-2015, 12:05 PM   #17
ivanstepul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
All of the upgrades in your list will be killed by the 17" wheels, to big and heavy, a 15x7 with a 195 or 205 would be quicker. That said, none of it matters, a Yaris with bolts ons like you describe will never beat a stock MX-5. Look no further than the Solo Natls results, STF can't touch ES or CS, and that is what you are effectively trying to do.
I dont understand the stf es or cs business. Are those different classes? Im just trying to put up a faster time and do whatever it takes. The 17 that I have are heavier than the 15 inch wheels i have but i have wider tires on the 17s i feel like i have more grip with those wheels tires. The tires that I'm currently running are GT Radial Champiro UHP1 205 /45 R17 88W XL BSW.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tires.jpg (17.7 KB, 108 views)
Old 04-14-2015, 12:45 PM   #18
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
I dont understand the stf es or cs business. Are those different classes? Im just trying to put up a faster time and do whatever it takes. The 17 that I have are heavier than the 15 inch wheels i have but i have wider tires on the 17s i feel like i have more grip with those wheels tires. The tires that I'm currently running are GT Radial Champiro UHP1 205 /45 R17 88W XL BSW.
Those are SCCA Solo classes - this match up you seek is played out every weekend around the cournty... A Yaris modded like your list, less the interior removal, would be in STF. Stockish Miatas are in CS and ES, both of which are quicker. The Miata has more power (even after your mods), less weight, RWD, and way better suspension. End game.

You accomplished nothing by going to a 17" other than aesthetics. Same width 15" wheel/combo will beat the 17" every time, the 15" carries less weight and offers a gearing advantage.