Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-01-2021, 04:01 PM   #1
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Poly drivers side engine mount

Gutted my TRD drivers side engine (transmission) mount and used parts from an Energy Suspension Scion TC kit to build a poly mount. You need two of bushing #1249, and you have to reuse the metal insert from your existing mount.

I have passed this along to my contact at Energy Suspension, hopefully they can make a kit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210328_102152297.jpg (114.4 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210328_102159790.jpg (99.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210328_102147118.jpg (84.0 KB, 52 views)
Old 04-01-2021, 08:08 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Thanks Jason, hopefully they end up making a kit.

I had to settle for purchasing their liquid poly and fill my own. It ended up working well (took two times to perfect) but it was messy and time consuming as you would expect.

I left the passenger side mount stock but the other two are solid 90 diameter mounts
Old 04-01-2021, 08:54 PM   #3
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Thanks Jason, hopefully they end up making a kit.

I had to settle for purchasing their liquid poly and fill my own. It ended up working well (took two times to perfect) but it was messy and time consuming as you would expect.

I left the passenger side mount stock but the other two are solid 90 diameter mounts

Energy made me a lower dog bone years ago, so that was covered. I also think Beatrush makes one.

No idea what could be done about the passengers side. Need to cut one open and take a look at it.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:51 PM   #4
stidnam

Drives: Starlet
What's your feedback on doing the dogbone?

I've noticed that since doing my 2zr swap with the quaife, I get mad axle tramp to the point that it's impossible to do a decent launch. Wondering if it's primarily due to that dogbone mount.
stidnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 12:24 AM   #5
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
Energy made me a lower dog bone years ago, so that was covered. I also think Beatrush makes one.

No idea what could be done about the passengers side. Need to cut one open and take a look at it.
Ya I saw Beatrush's and it is nice but I have the 2zr and needed the slightly larger 2zr specific doggone. I was having issues with the trans slamming the subframe when my front tires slipped. That has all since been fixed with using all Scion xd mounts and using solid poly mounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stidnam View Post
What's your feedback on doing the dogbone?

I've noticed that since doing my 2zr swap with the quaife, I get mad axle tramp to the point that it's impossible to do a decent launch. Wondering if it's primarily due to that dogbone mount.
I have a Cusco clutch type LSD and had a lot of wheel hop issues as well as the transmission slamming into the subframe. That was one of the reasons I made my own solid mounts, and ever since the it has been perfectly fine.

I used a dremel and bored out the majority of rubber in both the dogbone and trans mount. I left enough in there just to keep the dowel centered on place. Then I filled with 90A poly and sealed it with aluminum tape and hot glue. I have been beating on it at the track for the past 2 years and they are bit showing any signed of fatigue.

Somewhere in my 2zr build thread I spoke about how I had axle bind issues on my drivers side - that was solved by going with a '98 tercel axle which is slightly shorter. But after my swap I did have some issues with banging in the engine bay when I experienced a loss in traction.
Old 04-02-2021, 01:39 AM   #6
stidnam

Drives: Starlet
I'm really surprised at the amount of tramp I have given I'm using the factory mounts for the grmn as well as perfectly sized driveshafts. It's horrible though. I cringe when even letting the clutch out quickly.

Given the corolla has 4 engine mounts, I personally don't feel that the 2zr is supported well enough in the Yaris bay. I think I will order a spare dogbone mount and go to town on it.
stidnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 04:56 PM   #7
remcafee

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door
how do the trd mounts compare to stock? been thinking of getting some, i daily my yaris so i dont really want to go poly
remcafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 05:45 PM   #8
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by remcafee View Post
how do the trd mounts compare to stock? been thinking of getting some, i daily my yaris so i dont really want to go poly
Didn't see a measurable difference between them and stock. They have a little more rubber in them, but they are still soft.