Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-02-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
Herbicidal
Just a Herbicidal maniac.

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan Flint Mica
Smoked tail lights: film, paint or replace?

I've done a fair amount of reviewing various threads regarding smoked tail lights. Here's a summary of what I've come up with so far:

Film - I like the film from Lamin-x since it's pre-cut and they include everything you need to do the job. Their on-line video makes it look like a piece of cake to install. I know you can buy just the vinyl and make your own from a sheet, but I like the pre-cut myself. Concerns with film are cracking, bubbling, peeling and fading. Anything else?

Paint - I've read that for some folks it's cracked/peeled, faded or it still looks great. Airbrushed for best results? Not sure what the difference is. I'm not as familiar with what would be a high quality smoked paint. I believe for best results a clear coat should be applied too. Maintenance? Apply some wax with UV protectant periodically?

Replacement tail lights - the most expensive option, but easy to put back your originals if need be. Probably can get LED ones too, although I've not really looked to see what Sedan options there are.

For those people that have done film or paint, how long ago did you do it and how does it look today? Would you make the same choice again or do something different? For the replacement tail light crowd (Sedans), feel free to post some pics, I'm still haven't commited to going one way or the other.

Thanks for the feedback!

YarisWorld rocks!
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote