Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-24-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
SDYarisGuy
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Squeaking Sound underneath 2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan Automatic

Hi all,
I bought a Toyota Certified 2008 Yaris Sedan about 3 weeks ago from a Toyota dealership.
The car is great, but since last week, i have noticed a chipping/squeaking sound (last no longer than 1 second). This chipping/squeaking sound is like metal can got caught underneadth the car and being dragged.

This is my first car ever and I do not know great detail about cars in general, so please bare with me if I am not being technical as I could.

Below is what I observe and how the noise can be reproduced:
1. Noise occurs only WHEN I am on Drive, shifted from either Park or Reverse
a. From P->R->D
b. From P->D
2. Noise occurs when the car is crawling, i.e. after shifting from R or P mentioned above. I don't need to apply the break or hit the gas to reproduce the noise.
3. Noise only occurs in the operations mentioned in 1a and 1b, and it only occurs once, after I am actually on the road, there is no noise ever when I am on D shift. There is no noise when I am crawling waiting for light to turn green, etc.
4. It doesn't matter if i have my wheels straight or not when doing 1a or 1b, noise is there.
5. the noise is coming from underneath but not right below me, I feel it is in the front area.

I am not sure what is causing this, does this have to do with break? I didn't need to hit break to produce the noise though. and secondly, this is a certified car by certified toyota dealer, if the break is worn out, they should have replaced that.

Anyway, please help me, and let me know if you need more information...

Thanks,
SDYarisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:47 AM   #2
Hazem

Drives: Yaris 2008 hatchback
hello, am having the same problem, did you find out what is it?
Hazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #3
Vinceb

Drives: 2008 5 Speed Sedan
As a safety feature when shifting from P-any other gear, you have to have your foot on the brake pedal otherwise you won't be able to engage the shift button and change to another gear. chances are when you let go of the brake there is a point where you have minimal contact with the pads and rotors and they make a squeak. probably nothing to worry about, but since you just bought the car and it is a 'certified toyota' then take it back and ask the mechanic about it, if there is a problem, it should be covered I would think.

I had a squeaking problem with my brakes at 16,000km it was a ceased caliper which they replaced under warranty, but it happened any time I applied the brakes - it probably isn't this.
Vinceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:36 AM   #4
Hazem

Drives: Yaris 2008 hatchback
i found it, its the AC compressor clutch, i removed it the sound is gone, but i am with a compressor now :(
Hazem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2008 sedan squeaking