Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-24-2009, 10:15 PM   #1
perpetuous dreamer

Drives: Toyota yaris
Pissed off at dealership!!!

Three years ago I went with financing my yaris for six years and purchased an optional disability insurance for 600$.After two years of owning I refinanced my car.A week ago I went to the dealership and asked if I was eligible to get my money back for the rest of unused insurance(since I paid it off earlier).They said that there was no way they could give me those money back because...I refinanced my car not through toyota!By the way I asked them if I would stay with toyota financing,then they said ''yes you could get back a couple hundred bucks'' and they added that I had to inform them before refinancing process!As for me,no more buying new cars and dealing with stealerships!!!sorry for my English-doing my best)
perpetuous dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:28 PM   #2
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Yes you had to inform Toyota before the financing was completed. In essence you had financed the insurance when you paid off the toyota loan so sadly you are out that cash.

I would check with the Insurance and Banking office for the State where you made the transaction. I agree it is not right. Buyer Beware.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:30 PM   #3
sorryforhim
Banned

Drives: 08 Hatchback
that is why i never buy insurance or extended warranty when i buy a new car, especially a toyota that probably will not need extended warranty...they would sell that stuff unless they were making a bottom line profit from it
sorryforhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:04 AM   #4
Pitt Yaris

Drives: Flint Mica Sedan
That defiantly sucks.....I plan on paying my car off or selling it before my 6 year loan is up so I should get to the dealership and ask them to cancel the extended warranty asap....I've been saying it for weeks, but dang I don't wanna go into the stealership to cancel it.
Pitt Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:11 PM   #5
fearturtle44

Drives: S Flint Mica
Bummer. Wonder how many times this happens to folks. Not just in the car business but also banking, etc.

As a note, the experts really discourage folks from buying insurance and extended warranties from the car companies (especially the second tier warranties that are not tied directly to the car company).

One option would be to put your piece in your local paper's "letter to the editor". With many folks reading it, maybe it will hurt their business.
fearturtle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:33 PM   #6
Forrest

Drives: 08 LB BLACK
I am not sure if you are referring to GAP insurance, but one of my sons bought a Chevy PU truck this past summer with GAP insurance. After a coupl of months, interest was down and he refinance through a bank which in turn paid off the first loan. He then contacted the Chevy dealer and he received a refund on the gap insurance he had on the first loan.
So if it is gap you are referring to, he got the prorated balance returned to him with no problems and he did not do the refi with the dealer either.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:51 PM   #7
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetuous dreamer View Post
Three years ago I went with financing my yaris for six years and purchased an optional disability insurance for 600$.After two years of owning I refinanced my car.A week ago I went to the dealership and asked if I was eligible to get my money back for the rest of unused insurance(since I paid it off earlier).They said that there was no way they could give me those money back because...I refinanced my car not through toyota!By the way I asked them if I would stay with toyota financing,then they said ''yes you could get back a couple hundred bucks'' and they added that I had to inform them before refinancing process!As for me,no more buying new cars and dealing with stealerships!!!sorry for my English-doing my best)
Good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgment. I am not sure how old you are but when I was 21 I used financing for the first time to buy a Ford Courier from Lakewood CrookLand in Colorado. They took me to the cleaners. Including 18% financing. That was the last time I used the dealer for their help in financing a vehicle. I have used the experience from that purchase to help me buy my next 20 vehicles. This won’t be the first car you buy. If you loose a few bucks consider it the price of knowledge.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:03 PM   #8
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
I would read the insurance policy. I doesnt matter if the lien is paid off or not or by whom. I would re-read the complete policy contract text and see if there is a pro-rata clause.
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:57 PM   #9
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Well that is what a dealer is for....screwing ya over royally!

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:38 PM   #10
perpetuous dreamer

Drives: Toyota yaris
Thanks a lot for advises,but it looks like I've taken a bad lesson and accept it as it is
perpetuous dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:11 PM   #11
Pitt Yaris

I e-mailed the dealership twice and they never got back to me. What is the best/easiest way to cancel the extended warranty? Call and make some type of appointment or just go in and sit around/wait?
Old 05-14-2009, 03:20 PM   #12
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
which dealer is it in pitts?

i can find out if its north hills

http://www.4055design.com
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:30 PM   #13
Pitt Yaris

It's actually north of Pittsburgh...... www.prestontoyota.com I e-mailed two different e-mail addresses about 2-4 weeks ago and they never replied (I pretty much knew the wouldn't) They have like 2-3 different 1-888 numbers and I haven't called yet or went in yet due to some time restraints. They use the same numbers for their 3-5 different dealerships..... I'll probably just end up trying to call tomorrow, even though I'm sure they're gonna give me the run around.