Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #1
Condooo

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 1.5L
Question Advice on First Mods?

Hey there, this is my first post to the forum. Been reading for a little while, now, but never made the step to posting.
I've been interested in mods for a while, but I've never really looked much into them: partly because of my technical know-how (or lack thereof), but also since my last car was a 1.6L diesel Citroen Saxo. Classy.

To cut a long story short, the bonnet flew open on the motorway and smashed the screen, and with all it's other fauts we decided to scrap it. Recently bought myself my new car, my 1.5L Yaris T-Sport. Loving every minute of it.

As I'm still a 'young' driver, I'm looking to keep all mods I make official and through the books, while I'm also not wanting to spend silly-money on insurance. What I'm really asking is for your advice on some performace mods that aren't going to have me spending so much as to leave me begging, and won't hurt my insurance too much. Currently, I'm looking towards a new set of Roto alloys, EBC Greenstuff pads and a K&N Typhoon CAIS.

Any and all advice would be great. When anything actually happens I'll make sure to get pictures up.
Condooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I'm not sure what you're asking, but I'd like to be helpful. I don't know what this means for where you live; more detail would probably get you better advice:

Quote:
I'm looking to keep all mods I make official and through the books
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
the way I have always heard it (please remember, I am in the US) any add-ons you do to the car isn't covered. the insurance covers your vehicle the way you bought it. it won't cover your $2000 rims or your $3000 turbo or if you put a $5000 paint job on it. that way you don't have to say anything about it to the insurance.

I think it is a little different for theft but in the case of a collision, that is what I have heard.

honestly an intake and exhaust won't change much anyway.
BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
lowering springs and stickier tires
Old 05-10-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
Condooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
I'm not sure what you're asking, but I'd like to be helpful. I don't know what this means for where you live; more detail would probably get you better advice:
Hey there, thanks for replying.

Yea, sorry, wasn't really made clear. I was just saying I'd prefer to keep things legal and up-to-date with the insurance company, just so there's no problems if I ever have to make a claim.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:28 PM   #6
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Drives: 2010 1E7 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via MSN to .Kevin.
Stock intake is best intake
Old 05-10-2011, 08:11 PM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Stock intake is weakest intake.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #8
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
^^^ hahah
matthewai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:45 PM   #9
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
the stock intake takes air from behind the radiator and runs about 15-20 degrees warmer than ambient. a good CAI design that increases flow and reduces temps will make more power.

most of them are louder but some of us like that.

one bit of advice i can give is to call another insurance company (not yours) and ask about adding a car that you have modified. see what they say. do it anonymously. I know how things go in the states so it isn't an issue for me. either that or don't you have any cop friends? talk to them. if you don't, get some. they can help you out a lot.

a big thing about mods is more about what you want. the stickier tires and lowered suspension may not be your thing, it may be exactly your thing. it is all about what is important to you. I would start with the cheaper stuff and the stuff that is DIY so you can get a feel for your vehicle. if you start with the hard stuff, you may never get around to the easy stuff.

exhaust = 2 bolts
rear sway bar = 4 bolts
rims = 4 nuts each
turbo = many many nuts, bolts, screws, electronics, gauges, etc and so on

(hopefully that made sense)
BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:56 PM   #10
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Drives: 2010 1E7 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via MSN to .Kevin.
Also no fear of getting ricer comments. Having that boldness helps alot, if anyone laughs at the Yaris tell them Garms would rape their cars with their parents engines combined ;)
Old 05-10-2011, 10:11 PM   #11
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
exhaust = 2 bolts
rear sway bar = 4 bolts
rims = 4 nuts each
turbo = many many nuts, bolts, screws, electronics, gauges, etc and so on
That is good stuff. Some mods are just so easy and fun to do, others.... not so much.

Also, there are some mods that don't make power, but make the car a LOT nicer to drive.

these couldn't possibly be illegal:

Center Console
Foglights
Shifter extension/short shifter
(I could think of some more, but I'm cooking, lol)....
Old 05-14-2011, 04:45 AM   #12
Condooo

Thanks for the replies guys, some good help there. I know it's stupid of me, but I completely forgot paying much attention to the tyres. Going to get right on it. And definately, need to improve on the fun-factor. Not to be a ricer, but I think I can manage a sub in my boot... just.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:37 AM   #13
JTDBT903

Drives: '08 SEDAN 5 SPD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
That is good stuff. Some mods are just so easy and fun to do, others.... not so much.

Also, there are some mods that don't make power, but make the car a LOT nicer to drive.
Like your whole store! lol... [the fun and nicer part]
Old 05-14-2011, 01:11 PM   #14
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Some great mods that make a great improvement and are easy to do are a rear swaybar,takes about 30 min to install and really improves how car drives in corners.

Another great mod is lowering springs and new wheels,they dont have to cost a fortune to look good.

Stereo upgrade to aftermarket deck with amp and sub and components in the doors is a great mod,one of my favorites.

Sound deadening is also a overlooked mod that we really benifit from as cabin noise is just stupid in the Yaris...lol.

Exhaust as stated is 2 bolts and car sounds great with one,there are nice ones like the TRD that are not overly loud and still sound great.

Intake is also an easy mod,if they are not legal where you live then may want to skip.

Shift knob and boot is one of the esay cheap mods that makes the car feel more personal to the driver,even an ebrake gaiter makes it look nicer.

Tinted windows are a big visual change to car,depends on legality in your area.

Clazzio seat covers are also another great mod,time consuming to put on but they look really sweet and fit perfectly,not sure on seats on Tsport as never seen in person....

foglights,a bit harder to install but also a great mod,brighter headlight bulbs also make night driving better and they look good when headlights not dull white stock bulb.

Those are some of the first mods I always do to a car.
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #15
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Start with a shift kit if it's a standard. Your driving experience will be much improved for very little cost. Then...suspension upgrades to further increase your smile ratio and shock any free-loaders.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:19 AM   #16
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
I think you should start by saying what year the car is. I'm pretty sure it's a first gen like mine. So some of these suggestions won't apply.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:42 AM   #17
Condooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
I think you should start by saying what year the car is. I'm pretty sure it's a first gen like mine. So some of these suggestions won't apply.
I was really just looking for a very general overview, not needing many specifics. However, I'm driving a 2002 first gen 1.5L T-Sport.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:57 PM   #18
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
the most important thing to do is to check the laws in your area. The second thing is that most insurance companies won't cover mods at all, unless you get a special policy that will charge you an arm, a leg, and usually your first born as well.

Have fun modding!