Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-27-2019, 12:34 PM   #1
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Manual are a dying breed.

I went to the stealership.Told them I was after a manual HondaJAzz. He looked surprised like " What you want a manual"? Yeah, manual mate. Oh, they are hard to find and we don't usually sell them.Why don't you try the automatic for just 2k more? I was like I want a manual. We sat down he said, see what i can do for you. I can work out a good price.Sure enough I was happy with it. $18, 789.Better price than a mid trim Yaris and Mazda 2 with more trunk space.

He took us to the manager. He was saying the same line as the salesman. Manuals are not selling. To get one you have to wait a month. But I am after a manual. He goes want to take the auto for a drive. You might change your mind. I said, is it CVT? Yeah, but these are not like the old CVT. You drive it you will be surprised. Test drive it. I was like man you mofo are insist I should get a CVT.

We told them we come back. We want to talk it over. So we decided to go to Suzuki and looked at their products. The dude at Suzuki was saying the same thing. Manuals are hard to get, yada, yada, yada. I can give you a good deal on the Baleno which he offered for a low price 15k. Because it's manual.

People are too lazy to row gears these days?
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 12:43 PM   #2
yarisbug

Drives: 2010 1.4 d4d
Everyone is lazy, that's not new. I picked up a new Yaris with a manual, it took a few weeks but the Toyota dealer had to get it from across the country (it was in transit). Very happy I didn't settle for a slush box for lazy people.

Dealers are sleaze bags, they just want to sell what they have because they have already paid for that car sitting on the lot. It's costing them money sitting there so they are motivated to get rid of it.
yarisbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 01:11 PM   #3
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
A lot has changed in the last decade. When I bought my yaris brand new from the dealer in 2008 they had at least 4-5 on the lot. You'll be lucky if there is one on the lot now.
Old 12-27-2019, 01:32 PM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Manual transmission cost of ownership over the life of the car, several thousand. Automatic $0.

Personally, I'm done with stick shift for daily drivers. Earlier this year I had to replace the slave cylinder in one of my cars. Decided then that was going to be the last m/t related repair I'm subjecting myself to in what remains of my life. Too much has been invested in m/ts while nothing but the occasional fluid change needing to be done over the life of various a/ts I've owned.
Old 12-27-2019, 03:20 PM   #5
KALISPEL II

Drives: '22 Mazda CX-30 CE AWD 6-AT
The garbage, random-reliability push-belt CVT's are what keeps me from automatics in new cars today, otherwise my latest vehicle purchase in Aug 2019 would have finally had one. Between the push-belt CVT's & eventually-problematic straight GDI engine designs, it's almost impossible to find a new car without one or the other.

I have driven nothing but manuals my entire life (since my first car in 1983) & never had a single issue with any transmission/clutch during my ownership of them. My manual 2000 Honda Accord EX even went 15 years without any transmission/clutch issues.

One of the perks of buying manual today (in the USA anyway) is that you can get an absolute steal of a price on them if they are already on the dealer lot & haven't been selling for a while. That was the case with my 2015 Yaris SE hatch (sat on lot for almost a year) & my 2020 Corolla SE sedan (sat on lot for 4 months).

Last edited by KALISPEL II; 12-27-2019 at 04:31 PM.
KALISPEL II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 03:01 AM   #6
junorico24

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisbug View Post
Everyone is lazy, that's not new. I picked up a new Yaris with a manual, it took a few weeks but the Toyota dealer had to get it from across the country (it was in transit). Very happy I didn't settle for a slush box for lazy people.

Dealers are sleaze bags, they just want to sell what they have because they have already paid for that car sitting on the lot. It's costing them money sitting there so they are motivated to get rid of it.
Exactly what they told me. To get a manual Fit they had to get one from across another state.I was like, are you kidding me? Not one manual in my state at all.
WOW, amazing.

In the sales yard there were a lot of automatics. It's not just Honda, Toyota and Kia as well
Old 12-28-2019, 09:16 AM   #7
suprf1y

Drives: 05 Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Manual transmission cost of ownership over the life of the car, several thousand. Automatic $0.

Personally, I'm done with stick shift for daily drivers. Earlier this year I had to replace the slave cylinder in one of my cars. Decided then that was going to be the last m/t related repair I'm subjecting myself to in what remains of my life. Too much has been invested in m/ts while nothing but the occasional fluid change needing to be done over the life of various a/ts I've owned.
You get free fluid changes? Some autos are good now but I would not rate their reliability higher than a manual, and the up front cost is new is very high. I've driven them exclusively for over 40 years and had to replace exactly one clutch which was my fault for towing such a heavy load
suprf1y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 10:29 AM   #8
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
That's odd cause my manual hasn't cost more than the fluid I changed ($60). Bought with 160,000km and now has 350,000km. Original clutch I believe. Grabs like it should.

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 09:07 PM   #9
junorico24

Test drove the CVT. I would give a B for BORING.

Went to Mazda as well and no more manuals.

SOLD OUT!

The guy at Honda said the government don't want manuals in the next 5 years anymore.
Electric cars are coming.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:31 PM   #10
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
^^^ I've driven the CVT Honda Fit numerous times. Compared to the Yaris 4-speed automatic, Honda's CVT is horrible. The Yaris automatic is a brilliant little transmission!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 09:35 PM   #11
junorico24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
^^^ I've driven the CVT Honda Fit numerous times. Compared to the Yaris 4-speed automatic, Honda's CVT is horrible. The Yaris automatic is a brilliant little transmission!
Actually, CVT are B for BAD and BORING.

Conventional 4,5 and 6 speed auto are the way to go if you want automatics.

When i drove the thing It doesn't change gears at all. Like a normal automatic. It's just felt like the whole thing was laggy, no feed back to the driver making the whole driving experience spiritless and dull.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:43 PM   #12
junorico24

The dude at the dealers cool dude and all, want us or was trying to sell us these POS CVT?! After the test drive.I said to the guy. I want a manual for an engaging drive.

Because I might fall asleep driving this CVT everyday.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:45 PM   #13
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by junorico24 View Post
Test drove the CVT. I would give a B for BORING.
For me, that's the case for all auto's. B for Boring in all caps. This is why the perceived additional cost for a manual is worth the investment.

That's not even speaking to the Yaris manual trans being lighter and helping guys pick up significant time in autocross, etc.

On Wheelwell

Last edited by ern-diz; 01-09-2020 at 04:44 PM.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 05:38 PM   #14
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
I think its an epa thing too, as most autos today are getting better mileage than a stick. I dont understand how, but thats what the ratings show. If they sell too many sticks then the fleet average goes down. Politics.....
Old 12-31-2019, 08:10 PM   #15
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
Most people now learn to drive an automatic to the point where they can get a licence. Unfortunately, they never think about progressing their skills past this point.

Learning to drive a manual transmission also teaches you to look further ahead, take more notice of what is happening around you and plan/prepare manouvers earlier.
Old 01-01-2020, 12:11 AM   #16
junorico24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinj93 View Post
Most people now learn to drive an automatic to the point where they can get a licence. Unfortunately, they never think about progressing their skills past this point.

Learning to drive a manual transmission also teaches you to look further ahead, take more notice of what is happening around you and plan/prepare manouvers earlier.

Night and day driving a stick compared to a CVT. I can't believe they were so insistent on me buying a CVT!! I want that famous Honda manual box. DAMN IT!

Those guys at the dealers are not buying the car. I am! So don't make me buy A POS CVT.

I see these salesman I just want to steer clear at all cost.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:47 PM   #17
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
The only manual I saw at the Auto Show today was in a Civic TypeR pace car for the Formula4 race series. Was expecting to see one in a MX-5(they still sell about 80% with a stick), but Mazda was not in attendance.

I read recently that more EVs were sold last year in the United States than manuals.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:47 AM   #18
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
My mum has a MK4 Honda Jazz with a CVT. It's actually the 2nd one she has had. She had a MK1 Honda Jazz which had a ZF made CVT. That was ok but in all likelihood the CVT would have blown up sooner or later and scrapped the car as it would be beyond economic repair. I liked it a lot more than the new one.The 16 plate one she has is pretty dreadful to drive, it is very difficult to get the car to respond. I think some of it is how the fly by wire throttle is configured but the CVT doesn't seem as responsive as the ZF made unit in the 2006 model was.

My dad has a Toyota Avensis with a CVT paired with the 2ZR-FAE engine which is very responsive considering its a 1.8 and the car probably weighs a little over 2 tons. Problem is though i have to wonder how much life the CVT has in it and effectively the car is scrap if it ever fails even though the engine may have many years left in it. It's a tragedy because i guess an awful lot of those cars on the road in the UK sold with 6 speeds.

I wouldn't trade my 5 speed for anything (except maybe a 6 speed). In fact all i want to drive for the rest of my life are shitty old rust buckets from the 90's and 00's. New cars just don't do anything for me. Overpriced, over complicated, full of shite, they all look the same. No character.